Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
tambur8

Model: 7290
PIN: N/A
Carrier: None
Default Viigo????

Please Login to Remove!

Okay I posted a ? earlier because I couldn't find a Viigo download that would allow me to install it from the desktop manager but I have now done that with Handango. So now my question is how do I get RSS Feeds onto the bb through the desktop manager as I only use my bb as a PDA. I have no phone service or data plan etc so I must do everything through the desktop manager. I am very new to all of this! Thanks for the help

Tam
Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Tam, i don't even think you can... you need a data plan for that use of Viigo. I know, I read you only use you BB as a PDA, but all of a sudden with Viigo, you are not using it as a PDA.

Do you have your TCP settings enabled on the BB?
Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
tambur8

Thanks for the response. I am not sure about the TCP settings. I know that I can not do anything that requires OTA. I am sure my husband has made sure that everything is turned off.
Okay so if I take Viigo off the bb is there anyway to use the desktop manager to get rss feeds on to the blackberry? So I can use it to read them off line. I have the mobipocket reader and I have the mobipocket creator.
Thanks for helping out a complete newbie who knows very little.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Sci-Tek
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8000
Carrier: TDC

Viigo can use TCP settings and do not require a BB data plan, however you will need data transfer active on your plan, (this is default on in Norway atleast)

The options are acessible trough Options -> Advanced -> TCP.
But you need to fill inn your correct carrier specific settings, or else you run the risk of beeing overcharged.
You should contact your carrier and ask for the correct settings and if your plan allows data traffic, note that you will be charged for that traffic.

JSanders is correct, it don't seems like you use it as a PDA only ;p

Sci-Tek

Only dead fish follow the stream
Old 02-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
amygiven

Model: 8830

You can use Avantgo as an RSS Reader and you don't have to have a data plan. Here is a link to their web site: AvantGo: Home
I used to use Avantgo with my Palm all the time and they now have the software available for the Blackberry.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

Actually avantgo for blackberry does need a data plan. It connects to the avantgo servers using the BB Browser. Its not the same as the one for palm that loads up with data when you sync.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
tambur8

Call me stupid....but if RSS Feeds could be put on a PALM without any kind of data plan or phone service why can that not be done on a BB. Is it because there is just no software for it??
I really only am using it as a PDA. I read books and use it for lists etc. But I am just continually looking for new things I can do with it. RSS Feeds just sounded interesting.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
tambur8

After much searching I think I found my own answer. It looks to me like I can use Mobipocket Reader to get RSS Feeds on my BB. I have just been playing for the last bit and it appears like it is working. I am new to all of this so it might really do what I think but I am going to keep playing and see what happens. Thanks for all of the help. Much Appreciated!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambur8 View Post
After much searching I think I found my own answer. It looks to me like I can use Mobipocket Reader to get RSS Feeds on my BB. I have just been playing for the last bit and it appears like it is working. I am new to all of this so it might really do what I think but I am going to keep playing and see what happens. Thanks for all of the help. Much Appreciated!
The main problem is that what you need is an uncommon issue (as in less than 1% of users would need it); most anyone who is interested in RSS on a mobile device has some sort of data plan (in one way or another, depending) and has no need to look for RSS software that uses a desktop client to push the feeds to the device. I myself would go absolutely bonkers if I had to do that. To me personally, the whole point of RSS on my phone/device is to get updated news content while I'm on the go, not when I'm near a desktop PC.

Glad you found a solution, I didn't think there were any out there.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambur8 View Post
Call me stupid....but if RSS Feeds could be put on a PALM without any kind of data plan or phone service why can that not be done on a BB. Is it because there is just no software for it??
As someone else commented, when a device is made when 99.999%+ of the users have a data plan, there aren't alot of off-line readers made. as opposed to the palm devices, where a large percentage don't have radios/dataplans available.

Part of me is baffled why you'd get a blackberry, then not get a data plan. There are better PDAs out there, IMHO, if thats all you're using it for. Blackberries seem to be the best PDA/phone/email combo device out there.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

How current are the updates? I have been using VIIGO but it seems that Bloglines is more current.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

I think the other problem this use will encounter is that Viigo (and others) routinely only pull headlines and the initial paragraph until the full article is requested.
Closed Thread