doc9872
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Basic Memory Question

Please Login to Remove!

Another newbie question...

I have the 8130 from Verizon and have read about the memory leak issue (although I don't entirely understand it on a technical level). In any case, I have only installed one program (a medical reference program - 9MB). When I check the memory status, I had about 5MB of in "file free." I did a battery pull and it went up to about 11 MB. How much of the device's 64 MB is occupied by the OS and basic device operations vs. installed programs? I've deleted non-English languages, the sample video, will do the preloaded pics when I get to my PC. Anything else? I'd like to put on some banking software, but am worried about eating up too much memory.

On a related note - if I install and use opera mini, any reason to keep the BB browser? Any downside to deleting it (will I screw up the device)?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

5Mb file free is pretty low. You'll have to be real careful with what you keep on your device.

If you delete the BB browser you will not be able to download any programs OTA. I don't recommend deleting the BB browser. I recommend NOT installing Opera in your circumstance.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

I don't know the answer to some of those specific questions, but:

You should strive to attain about 15-16+ free memory or file free. You can delete themes, too. Check the threads here, and the FAQ site especially.

You cannot get rid of the browser.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130

Find out if there is a way to load the program to an SD card in the Pearl...that's a huge program (I presume the data is the big part) and having it on your Pearl is going to be challenging to keep out of data problems.

You should see this excellent thread on what you can do to free up more memory.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html
Old 02-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
doc9872

Thanks for the quick responses. I have almost nothing on the device. I have that one program (and 9MB doesn't seem too big) which unfortunately cannot be moved to the memory card. I delete almost all emails and SMS's when they come in. I have only two email clients (the vzw.blackberry one and a gmail). All music and pics are on a 1GB memory card.

I won't delete the browser - I don't use the web that much. Even I get rid of themes and installed pics it probably won't free up that much space. Is there a problem with this specific Pearl? Should I send it back?

How much free memory is there/should there be when it's completely new (mines only a week old)?

Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc9872 View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. I have almost nothing on the device. I have that one program (and 9MB doesn't seem too big) which unfortunately cannot be moved to the memory card. I delete almost all emails and SMS's when they come in. I have only two email clients (the vzw.blackberry one and a gmail). All music and pics are on a 1GB memory card.

I won't delete the browser - I don't use the web that much. Even I get rid of themes and installed pics it probably won't free up that much space. Is there a problem with this specific Pearl? Should I send it back?

How much free memory is there/should there be when it's completely new (mines only a week old)?

Thanks again.

If you delete the sample video and un-used languages you would be in a much better spot.

In fact, if you follow the directions in the link below you might wind up at an ok level. You would be surprised at how much you can reclaim.

E-

How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ.com

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs

Last edited by Thatzmister2u; 02-01-2008 at 05:11 PM..
Old 02-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Some of the themes can be pretty big.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
doc9872

I deleted the medical program (epocrates - for what it's worth) and my memory went to 20MB, exactly the 9MB difference that the program is listed as. Ideally I'd like to keep the program, I use it a lot on a day to day basis. Spoke with CS at the company and they're working on functionality to get it to an SD card. I'll delete the themes, etc. that were outlined in those other links. Could those possibly take up the other 30 - 40MB? I don't even have that many contacts (about 100, but will soon be more).
Old 02-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc9872 View Post
I deleted the medical program (epocrates - for what it's worth) and my memory went to 20MB, exactly the 9MB difference that the program is listed as. Ideally I'd like to keep the program, I use it a lot on a day to day basis. Spoke with CS at the company and they're working on functionality to get it to an SD card. I'll delete the themes, etc. that were outlined in those other links. Could those possibly take up the other 30 - 40MB? I don't even have that many contacts (about 100, but will soon be more).
No the remainder of the 64mb is the Operating System and reserves for the device primary functions. We have physicians here running epocrates with not issue. If you follow the links and steps provided you can probably reclaim 9mb or more and you will have room for it. Your messages and contacts do not take much space unless you are dealing with attachments. I have between 6 and 7k Messages on my phone and still have 25mb after a battery pull.

Good Luck and report back!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 02-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

You need to make sure your device stays usable for you. If the medical program is important, leave it there.

Go through the Optimize your BB link in my signature. Get rid of everything that you don't need/use. Then, if you need/want the medical app, by all means load it back. If you don't use your device for much else then you will be fine. The worst that will happen is the device will slow down and you'll lose some emails.

A car won't do you much good if you remove all the seats to lighten it up, but then you can't sit in it.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #11
Redflea

You can get 2MB "free" right now by setting something in media...go to Media, go to Options, and set Reserved Pictures Memory to 0 (since you have an SD card, all pics will go there, not in Device Memory).

Voila - 2MB w/almost zero effort.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #12
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
You can get 2MB "free" right now by setting something in media...go to Media, go to Options, and set Reserved Pictures Memory to 0 (since you have an SD card, all pics will go there, not in Device Memory).

Voila - 2MB w/almost zero effort.
I realize this thread is about the Pearl, but I'd like to be able to do this on my Curve. Unfortunately, I only seem able to choose between 12 and 15 MB of device memory for media. Is there some sneaky way to set it to zero?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
doc9872

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
You need to make sure your device stays usable for you. If the medical program is important, leave it there.

Go through the Optimize your BB link in my signature. Get rid of everything that you don't need/use. Then, if you need/want the medical app, by all means load it back. If you don't use your device for much else then you will be fine. The worst that will happen is the device will slow down and you'll lose some emails.

A car won't do you much good if you remove all the seats to lighten it up, but then you can't sit in it.
I have the DM installed on my PC, but when I go to the link for the OS download on the instruction page to optimize memory, it takes me to a Verizon page which only has links to the DM install, not the OS. Am I doing something wrong here? Should I go to a different CDMA carrier and look for my OS?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

doc... you can go here for the 8130
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...3-0-170-a.html
Old 02-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
doc9872

The OS version is somewhat different than my present one and for time reasons I'd rather not upgrade right now. I have version 4.3.0.60 but the one for US cellular is 4.3.0.97 and for Alltel is 4.3.0.81. Any way to find my specific OS? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #16
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

right here: on the Verizon website... I just looked, and initiated the download but canceled. It works.
BlackBerry® Software Updates
Old 02-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
doc9872

If I took the time to read I probably would have seen that. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
gsdoc4kids

Model: 8300
Carrier: att
Default answer to doc

as an option you can access the online version of epocrates via either browser ; i use opera. I didn't think it was worth using up 9mb of memory to load the program on the phone. I have sprint and have navigation, sprint TV, sprint music , 411, and a banking program ( e-check register ), 2 additional themes and maintain about 12-13 mb free all the time.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #19
doc9872

I downloaded the OS and deleted the non-verizon themes and foreign languages. I still wound up with only a MB or so of extra memory. I'd like to uninstall some of the verizon themes, but am concerned b/c there was a caution on the original advice page (particularly Zen and dimension). I pretty much use the Verizon default theme with my own wallpaper. Any harm in getting rid of the others (including zen and dimension)? Also, if I delete the media file, what exactly do I lose (aside from the pre-loaded pics)? Do I lose the folder icons or something else? Lastly, I never IM, so is there a reason to keep messenger for the basic functioning of the phone? I'm getting a bit 'memory obsessed' if you couldn't tell already!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #20
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
I realize this thread is about the Pearl, but I'd like to be able to do this on my Curve. Unfortunately, I only seem able to choose between 12 and 15 MB of device memory for media. Is there some sneaky way to set it to zero?
That's another setting...it may be that the Curve doesn't have the setting that I was referring to...
Closed Thread