Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
dirtypirate
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: 0.7 Red Ink
Carrier: Slave by Contract to AT&T
Exclamation ALERT - BB Billing Errors with AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Okay for those of you who want to jump to the summary rather than read the details, here you go:

Summary:
AT&T has a billing error if you have their text/pic package on a bb phone that does not have the data plan. Even though you are paying for unlimited picture messaging, their system still charges you for the pics (ie, the data of the picture). You get billed the $9.99 per month, and then they double bill you for the data which depending on usage can be an extra charge/month. An oversight and error on their partxxx8230;

General Info:
Now for the rest of you that want to know the details...

I have two 8310's. One with the data plan (mine) and one with just the unlimited text messaging (within ATT and 200 out of ATT) which is the wifexxx8217;s phone. For the past few months we've been getting hit with extra charge on the phone bills. I've been going to the local store and they keep acting like I'm crazy and offer no real knowledge about the phones or the networks billing methods. After a test of blocking data phone the phone, using the firewall options, and sending various types of files between the phones we were able to determine that when a pic message is sent from the wifexxx8217;s phone to my phone it charges extra for the data. When a pic message is sent from my phone to hers it charges for data.

In review of the signed contract with AT&T, their pic messaging program states that it includes the data associated with the pic messaging. After several frustrated visits to the local store, I finally gave up and called 611 and spent a few hours, yes HOURS on the phone with some who spoke fairly broken English. I had him review the phones usage log, billing, do some over the network tests and low and behold that AT&T was actually charging for something that they shouldn't have been according to their own contract.

As a result, they guy offered a minimal $15 credit to the account for the hassle. I thought about this and accepted at the time since the costs thus far were minimal. I asked about future charges, and well the response was that I would have to call up again from time to time to dispute them as well. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

Normally I wouldn't bother to post this or make a fuss about it. However, I know quite a few peeps out there are using the BB's for text/pic messaging only and do not have the data plans. From what I was told by there tech guy, all BB's end up getting these extra charges cause they are not intended to run on the network without the data plan. Seems fair enough, but it you add up all the extra charges from the thousands of customers thatxxx8217;s quit a bit of over billing. VZW got busted a few years back with a class action lawsuit and the general public was awarded money back to recover the costs.

So, if you or anyone you know has ATT, a blackberry, and uses the text/pic package without the data plan...please have them review their monthly billing... the extra charges will show up in the messaging portion. The bill will be marked as outgoing and be charged....

Example billing:

The picture provided above is captured from my actuall bill, provided here as a sample as to what you should look for.

If you find this is the case, add a post to this page and I'll contact you with more info of how to get the issue resolved QUICKLY.

If you read this far...good for you. Now go get something cold and refreshing to drink.

Last edited by dirtypirate; 01-31-2008 at 11:00 PM..
Old 01-31-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
alib21
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

WOW, interesting but not surprising....my sister was billed over $900 last month because she was being charged for the data portion as "pay as you go", she almost had a heart attack@work when she logged on to check her bill. The 1st CS rep couldn't help her, because of the large amount, so she was on the phone for about an or 2 trying to resolve this. Thinking that all was resolved, low and behold it was not. The second "rep" actually changed her plan all together. Another hour or 2 finally fixed it. Word of advice, if your paying a bill, ANY BILL, just check it.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

it makes sense that MMS are charged seperately. They require a data plan and SMS do not. SMS goes over the voice network and MMS over the data. I am not saying that their contract makes sense (seems they have shot themselves in their foot), i was talking from a network stand point. Their unlimited messaging no doubtedly adds the SOC code for pay as you go data, which is why they overcharge you without even realizing it.

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 01-31-2008 at 11:41 PM..
Old 02-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
dirtypirate

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by alib21 View Post
WOW, interesting but not surprising....my sister was billed over $900 last month because she was being charged for the data portion as "pay as you go", she almost had a heart attack@work when she logged on to check her bill. The 1st CS rep couldn't help her, because of the large amount, so she was on the phone for about an or 2 trying to resolve this. Thinking that all was resolved, low and behold it was not. The second "rep" actually changed her plan all together. Another hour or 2 finally fixed it. Word of advice, if your paying a bill, ANY BILL, just check it.

I can't believe how many people just pay the bills and never look at them. It amazes me. Its a small charge, one thats easy enough to miss if you aren't looking for it...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Yup -- you need a BB data plan for MMS with at&t. We don't have the "feature enabler" option that TMO offers.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
sl55g

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

I have a BB on ATT with a messaging plan, but no data, and it seems that if your picture message exceeds 300kb in size, you are charged for data.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
dirtypirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl55g View Post
I have a BB on ATT with a messaging plan, but no data, and it seems that if your picture message exceeds 300kb in size, you are charged for data.
Yep 300kb seems to be the limit, so keep the pic quality levels at medium in of best/fine.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

MMS on a BB shouldn't be working without a BB data plan.

On AT&T......thats the way it is!

another reason to have a BB data plan save on this kind of hassle
Old 02-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

You should need *some* sort of data plan. that could be either a generic media net plan or the BB data plan (recommended)
Old 02-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
dirtypirate

Wirelessly posted (dirtypirate8310: BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
Yup -- you need a BB data plan for MMS with at&t. We don't have the "feature enabler" option that TMO offers.
Not exactly true, based on the network (plan terms and conditions) for the unlimited text/pic plan with att, it includes the use of mms with pic attachments (using data) for one package price. Its a network programing error for the method utilized in tracking the bb's usage. Eventually they will either spend the bucks to fix the error or just force all new contrats to have the data plan for all models. Right now they allow / approve the use of the bb without the data plan cause they hit you with ridiculous pay-per-use data charges. But you can protect your phone by disabling the features and having them lock them on the network side.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
dirtypirate

Wirelessly posted (dirtypirate8310: BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner
MMS on a BB shouldn't be working without a BB data plan.

On AT&T......thats the way it is!

another reason to have a BB data plan save on this kind of hassle
That's what they want you to believe but that no exactly true.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Where in the TOS does it say that MMS messages without a data plan are not charged additional data? The message itself is free to send and receive with your plan, but it doesnt say (from the TOS posted on their web page) that the data is free. To use the data side of the network without a data plan incurs data usage charges, no matter how you use that data, IMO.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:20 AM   #13
Maximus_Prime
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT & T

If you send the pic as email attachment instead of MMS, that should not be charged extra correct?
Closed Thread