Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
firefightermedic

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile
Default Palm User Thinking of Switching to BB

Please Login to Remove!

I am currently using the Palm Treo 750 Smartphone and am looking for input from others on switching to the BB Curve. I see that each phone has its own strongpoints and weaknesses. Just wondering what is the better phone.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I suggest you read the FAQ as that will answer many of your questions.

As for which is better, only you can answer that question as you know how you will use it.

I came from the Palm Treo 600/650 world. Tired operating system, prone to many random reboots and lost data. Many 3rd party apps to enhance it however.

Moved to the BB8700 and then to the 8800. Great device, OS is rock solid. Push email is great for my needs. I don't need instantaneous connectivity and delivery so the every 15 minute push is fine. Don't need all the 3rd party stuff either.

One recommendation, if you go with the BB, make sure you get a BB dataplan.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
txmx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Blackberry is just the best,I came from a sprint phone,and it was fun,but for the professional,blackberry is the best,push e-mail,and you can have up to 10 e-mail accounts,rss reader,you can open attachments,wow there's so many things that make blackberry the best,don't even think about it,but be aware that bb causes addiction! ;)
Old 01-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
hcheun
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Over here at where i work, people are growing pretty tired of the PALM OS. As I too came from a treo 600/650, and then migrated to many other WinMo Phones and other platforms, to finally coming to a 7250. I was skeptical at first, but when i eventually harnessed and learned the business capabilities of the Blackberry, bar none, did the Blackberry shine. Yes indeed, the main thing that sticks out is it's almost instantaneous push of email, contacts, calendars, memos and tasks along with Stable OS and just good ol battery life reliability. Plus it's less of a brick than a treo and I find it more straightforward. If You're looking for a device to do this, then get the 8800 or 8300 , you won't regret it!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
garys11

Model: G3S
PIN: ASK ME!
Carrier: Vodafone

Don't think about it, just do it. Trust me, it will be one the of best things you have done.
I was a PALM user until 6 months ago. I now use a Blackberry, I will never switch back.
Like the above message, you will not regret it.

Last edited by garys11; 01-17-2008 at 07:24 PM..
Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
lolaisodd
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: xxxx
Carrier: Singtel
Thumbs up My take

You may face unfamiliarity at first as with the switch to any new device. But once you got the hang of it, learn how it functions and know how everything works, it is a stable device. Just remember to be patient when beginning to use it. It may be easy to use but it still takes time to get used to. I like:

- how i have the power to manage my smartphone. I can backup my smartphone easily, synchronize it with Outlook, switch to a higher version of software without having to enlist a vendor's help or waste time waiting in front of a counter which has 20 other people trying to do the same.
- how easy it is to contact my friends without having to waste much money on text messaging. All my friends gradually converted to using a BlackBerry after they saw mine and now we use BlackBerry Messenger all day long! You can also make use of GoogleTalk, Yahoo Messenger and i use a third party application "JiveTalk" for MSN for friends who do not own a BlackBerry.
- how my BlackBerry 8300 is sleek with a kickass qwerty keypad that is easy to use.
- how i get notified immediately for facebook messages ;)
- how i get rss newsfeed that updates me with what i am interested in.

One drawback may be the lack of 3rd party applications but it's not a big deal for me. All the BlackBerry Messenger chatting that's going on for me and my friends is more than enough to keep the thumbs busy.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
swstranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't miss anything about the Treo except threaded SMS...but that's not that big of a deal, although I can't figure out why BB won't do it.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #8
DW30

Model: 8310
Carrier: Swisscom

I'm new to BB also. I've had it for about 3 weeks now. The BB reminds me alot of earlier palms (can't run progs off SD card) however it's rock solid - no crashes, intuitive and I just love it!!
The only thing I miss is one function from DateBk for Palm : Floating Events - this was just the most useful PIM function ever!! No need to use Tasks or anything else. Man, I wish this was implemented somewhere else.
If you want a phone and PIM that works, unconditionally - the BB is for you.
Chris
Old 01-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #9
blue0745
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstranger View Post
I don't miss anything about the Treo except threaded SMS...but that's not that big of a deal, although I can't figure out why BB won't do it.
This is one of my concerns before I pull the triger and switch to BB. Is there any news if BB is designing an update with threaded SMS?

Sorry to hijack.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:24 AM   #10
DW30

Carrier: Swisscom

my SMS is threaded.
Chris
Old 01-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #11
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

I just made the switch last week (from a Treo 680). All I miss is the touchscreen ...... nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermedic View Post
I am currently using the Palm Treo 750 Smartphone and am looking for input from others on switching to the BB Curve. I see that each phone has its own strongpoints and weaknesses. Just wondering what is the better phone.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #12
matt73uk

Model: 9520
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermedic View Post
I've been a Treo 750 user for just over a year and really liked it. The downside was I experienced a lot of crashes and data loss. I also had to have the unit replaced twice. The first time, the screen came loose and stopped working, and the second time it was locking up whenever I tried to send a text or call someone.

I finally made the jump to Blackberry earlier this week after many months of my pal telling me 'Once you go black, you'll never go back!'

After only a few days with my shiny new Blackberry Curve 8310, I can say that it's much more suited to my needs. I have a sense of security as the OS is much more stable than Windows Mobile 6. I've not had to reset the thing once and it's very responsive so there's no waiting for 10 seconds for your email program to open!

The only downside that I can see so far is the lack of being able to install programs to the media card, which is a bit disappointing. However, with the amount of software pre-installed there's not much need for anything else. I have the Vodafone UK version which comes with Vodafone Sat Nav, although there's also Blackberry Maps if you prefer that, and I also downloaded Google Maps which is pretty cool too. I installed a few other programs like Viigo, Worldmate, and Facebook. I just need a good IM client and I'll have everything I need to survive in the concrete jungle!

If you're worried about making the switch like I was, you really don't need to be. The Blackberry is already proving to be the better handheld, plus it's a lot lighter, 50% thinner, has a 3.5mm headphone socket, mini USB slot, and a better camera with a flash as bright as the sun!

No it doesn't have a touchscreen which to be honest I got bored of with the Treo anyway. You can't run programs off the media card like I said earlier but I don't see it as a big issue. Other than that, the Blackberry wins hands down.

All this and I haven't even mentioned the actual phone stuff. The Treo was always giving me problems like when I answered a call there'd always be a few second delay before the other person could hear me. Sometimes even the ringer wouldn't work! On the Blackberry the phone works perfectly! No delays, crystal clear sound, plus I seem to get a much stronger reception in my home area than I did on the Treo.

All in all, I'm over the moon with my Blackberry and am now wondering why I went for the Treo last year. To all you Treo lovers, fear not, the Blackberry Curve is a great handset with everything you need. You should definitely looking at investing in one. You will not be disappointed!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Lecter

Model: BOLD
Carrier: vodafone Germany

The only thing I miss, are the 3rd party apps (there are trillions of them).
Old 01-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #14
swstranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW30 View Post
my SMS is threaded.
Chris
No it's not.

Each SMS you get is threaded, but the problem is it creates a new message for each exchange in the "conversation", so if you exchange 20 texts with someone, you have 20 different messages in your message box.

I personally delete them because I don't like my message box full of SMS, because it makes it more difficult to look at past emails. If they were all threaded in one message, that would be MUCH better. I don't even text much.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
luisumf

Model: 8800
Carrier: telcel

i had the treo 750 and honestly it sucked, battery only lasted 10 hours, i switched back to blackberry to the 8800 (amazing device) now i have the 8310 and let me tell you there's no phone that even comes close, with a data plan you can have internet, mp3, video, camera, gps, emails, and with 3rd party apps you basically have everything palm has to offer, plus it's light slim and great looking.
I'll never change phones, blackberry for life
Old 01-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #16
blade28
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

I came from the Treo 650 (used it for 2 1/2 years). Got tired of constant freezes, hangs, reboots, and the heft of the machine.

Got a BB a couple weeks ago and haven't looked back!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisumf View Post
i had the treo 750 and honestly it sucked, battery only lasted 10 hours, i switched back to blackberry to the 8800 (amazing device) now i have the 8310 and let me tell you there's no phone that even comes close, with a data plan you can have internet, mp3, video, camera, gps, emails, and with 3rd party apps you basically have everything palm has to offer, plus it's light slim and great looking.
I'll never change phones, blackberry for life
I could not agree more!

I have had 3 Treo's; the 600, 650 & 680 and while I do like the design and even the size, I was always disappointed with the hardware capabilities (or lack thereof) and the Palm OS which has not grown much since the days of monochrome devices. I stuck with Palm though simply because I hated the early versions of the BlackBerry; more specifically the BB 7250.

All that is now ancient history; RIM has since done an outstanding job in redesigning all the things I hated about the early models and made a great number of advances to the OS, with more to come I hear (errr, read). I would never had said that the Treo was the best PDA/Phone combo on the market, but I will now proudly say that the BlackBerry is; more specifically the BB 8310.

Do give BlackBerry a try ........... I guarantee you will not go back to Treo!

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"
Old 01-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #18
blue0745
Thumbs Must Hurt

Of course this is a fairly bias location to ask which is better. However, I have been reading here for a few months now. My current contract is up next month. I foresee a Curve in my near future.

It actually does mean a lot to hear from previous Treo owners.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #19
gearwh0re

Carrier: Fido

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue0745 View Post
Of course this is a fairly bias location to ask which is better. However, I have been reading here for a few months now. My current contract is up next month. I foresee a Curve in my near future.

It actually does mean a lot to hear from previous Treo owners.
i HATE to say it, because i had an orginal blackberry "back in the day" and switched to palm which was WAY better

but as blackberry has improved each and every model as they go, palm stayed still and even got worse in a lot of ways

the kicker was my 750 that wouldn't ring, sometimes didn't sound the alarm, froze, and deleted messages

i am now on a 8320 and athough the palm had a much better "feel" to adding appointments, emails etc, it is so nice to have a reliable phone that does what it is supposed to do

i was "palm for life" and they lost me to blackberry

sad really
Old 01-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #20
cjcarbone

PIN: K PANTHER
Carrier: ATT

I got my RED ATT 8310 yesterday, from a crimson 680. Although i thought i would miss my touchscreen, and my 3rd party apps, i don't. After using the Curve for just 1 day, i realized why i needed all those 3rd party apps. The 680 was just lacking all around, where the Curve has everything already installed. On The Treo, i had to download a 3rd party app to hide unwanted icons.The Curve has it. On my Treo, i was contemplating spending 299.99 on a bluetooth GPS reciever and maps program. Just have to sign up to a 9.99 plan on my Curve, and the GPS reciever is built in. The Treos delayed keystrokes, 3-5 seconds loading apps, and all the crashes and resets. THe Curve, none of that yet. I was told by Palm that i had to remove the battery for 1-3min everyday, at least. The Curve, not so much.I LIKED my Treos, and made them better with the 3rd party apps, i had a 600, 2 650s, 2 680s, a 750 WM. In one day, I LOVE my Curve. Man, i really love my Curve. All i would ask, is what a few people have asked. Threaded SMS like the palm. Thats the only thing i would change.
Closed Thread