Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
yelkcif

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Altell
Default Just Want the Phone And Without the Service Plan

Please Login to Remove!

I'm very new to smartphones. But can anyone help with this? I want to purchase a BB 8100 or 8130. I have Alltel which a CDMA network. I don't have an extra $60 a month to have internet/email capabilites. So my goal at this stage of the game is to purchase the smartphone so that I can sync with my powerbook. My question is where can I purchase a phone with out the plan that works with Alltel?? How about a used phone that works with Alltel?

a 2nd closely related question is since Sprint, Nextel, Alltel, etc are all CDMA networks can I buy a Sprint phone to work or does it have to be unlocked for it to work?
Thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Keep an eye on the Buy/Sell/Trade section of this forum for used/new BB's.

Yes, all those other carriers are CDMA and the devices will work if (and it's a big if) Alltel will allow use of other carrier's devices on their network.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

The 8100 is GSM only and will not work on Alltel, or any CDMA network.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
CADdesigns
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
PIN: 301AD045
Carrier: Bell Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelkcif View Post
I'm very new to smartphones. But can anyone help with this? I want to purchase a BB 8100 or 8130. I have Alltel which a CDMA network. I don't have an extra $60 a month to have internet/email capabilites. So my goal at this stage of the game is to purchase the smartphone so that I can sync with my powerbook. My question is where can I purchase a phone with out the plan that works with Alltel?? How about a used phone that works with Alltel?

a 2nd closely related question is since Sprint, Nextel, Alltel, etc are all CDMA networks can I buy a Sprint phone to work or does it have to be unlocked for it to work?
Thanks
I can only speak for Bell. I bought my phone with only a data plan and no voice(I just added voice) but I know I could have done it the other way. They will try to sell you the data plan but just say no, you want the phone only.

Just be careful you dont go to the internet of send e mails they will nail you for usage BIG TIME
Old 12-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
The 8100 is GSM only and will not work on Alltel, or any CDMA network.
Good catch. Don't buy an 8100 hoping to use it with Alltel!

8130 is what you need.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
yelkcif

Model: 8100
Carrier: Altell
Default Follow-up on CDMA question

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Keep an eye on the Buy/Sell/Trade section of this forum for used/new BB's.

Yes, all those other carriers are CDMA and the devices will work if (and it's a big if) Alltel will allow use of other carrier's devices on their network.
Thanks all for your help on this!! Do CDMA devices have to be unlocked like GSM devices do?

jf

Last edited by yelkcif; 12-26-2007 at 02:34 PM..
Old 12-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
BB1stmer

Model: 8130

Where can I find the Buy/Sell/Trade section of this forum?
Old 12-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

It would be the forum called "Buy/Sell/Trade" right off of the Home Page...

Buy Sell Trade - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
Old 12-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon (Alltel)

A STRONG word of warning before you try to activate a BB on the Alltel network without data:

Alltel will not allow you to activate a BlackBerry on its network without a SmartChoice Plan or adding the BlackBerry data package. Period. If you would somehow slip it by a rep and get the phone activated, the Alltel system will catch the error during a regular account audit and slap the data code on your account, meaning you will be automatically signed up for (and charged for) data. Believe me, it won't take long.

Yes, Alltel will allow you to hook other smartphones to the network without a data package if you have bought the phone at retail or are out of contract. I've done it with Treos and I know several people who bought the HTC6800 at retail and are doing it. It may take a while to find a rep who will do it because most are so data-sales-crazy that they will try to tell you they're not allowed (some just really don't know it's an option), but it is totally within your rights and OK under Alltel's policies. However, you simply can't do it with a BlackBerry device. It's really not even a good idea to try.

I'm just forewarning you so that you don't come back here and rant because all of a sudden you have outlandish data charges and don't think it's right/fair that Alltel put you on a data plan.

I would suggest you find a used Alltel-branded Treo or 6800 and activate it if you just want to do what you described. And, unless you are willing to "flash" a non-Alltel phone with Alltel software and potentially "brick" it, you better get an Alltel-branded phone. Phones from other CDMA carriers will work on the Alltel network as talk-text devices, but the data will not work unless it's flashed. I don't even know where to start with that.....
Closed Thread