Please Login to Remove!

I have not noticed anythng like that on mine
Old 11-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I have not noticed users posting such on this forum. We shall see.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
jseah
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 30496979

I have never run across the free memory dropping to the point where emails and SMS's begin to disappear, but I do notice that over several days time, the amount of my free memory goes down. I have seen my memory go down from 14 MB free down to as low as 8 MB free.

On Howardforums, there has been some posts about memory leaks in the Verizon PDA forum. Some have blamed the Gmail application, some have blamed VZ Navigator. There has also be speculation that with heavy surfing, the IP address degrades over time to the point where you lose the net connection. They've already learned the battery pull trick.

I did discover the Diagnostic utility in the Option menu last night. When I ran it, it returned my free memory back to 14 MB free without having to do the battery pull. Since it refreshes and reregisters your phone with the Blackberry servers, I suspect it would take care of the IP address degradation issue as well since it also refreshes the IP address. Doesn't really address the cause of the memory leak problem, but it is quicker than doing a battery pull and waiting for your phone to reboot. For me, it also freed up more memory as the battery pull usually got me back to 13 MB free.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
TylerBoneZJoneZ

Model: Droid
PIN: INK
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I ran across it with the first 8130 I had but i switched for a new one.... and no problems ever since!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseah View Post
I have never run across the free memory dropping to the point where emails and SMS's begin to disappear, but I do notice that over several days time, the amount of my free memory goes down. I have seen my memory go down from 14 MB free down to as low as 8 MB free.

On Howardforums, there has been some posts about memory leaks in the Verizon PDA forum. Some have blamed the Gmail application, some have blamed VZ Navigator. There has also be speculation that with heavy surfing, the IP address degrades over time to the point where you lose the net connection. They've already learned the battery pull trick.

I did discover the Diagnostic utility in the Option menu last night. When I ran it, it returned my free memory back to 14 MB free without having to do the battery pull. Since it refreshes and reregisters your phone with the Blackberry servers, I suspect it would take care of the IP address degradation issue as well since it also refreshes the IP address. Doesn't really address the cause of the memory leak problem, but it is quicker than doing a battery pull and waiting for your phone to reboot. For me, it also freed up more memory as the battery pull usually got me back to 13 MB free.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

I am experiencing the same as jseah, not loosing anything just meemory dropping a significant amount. I don't have gmail or vznavigator.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
TylerBoneZJoneZ

Model: Droid
PIN: INK
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I think VZ Navigator was the contributor to it with my first 8130.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
I am experiencing the same as jseah, not loosing anything just meemory dropping a significant amount. I don't have gmail or vznavigator.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
jseah

Model: 9530
PIN: 30496979

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
mine really isn't a leak per se....more of a drip.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I don't have an 8130 but having read countless threads/posts about memory leak I can tell you 4 things:
1. Nobody knows the true cause of the free memory declining over time.
2. No OS update has ever affected the memory leak, nor is it likely that an OS update in the future ever will.
3. The 8130 will have the same "leak" as the 8100 most likely. There's no reason that it won't if you think about it.
4. The decline in free memory won't change how the device performs if you have a memory card in it. The people who do battery pulls (I do one every few weeks, my wife has never done one) do them for the heck of it. In my experience the memory goes from 29mb after a pull, declines to around 17mb and pretty much stops there.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 11-26-2007 at 11:53 AM..
Old 11-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
jnyost

Model: 9550

Mine does leak. It doesn't leak enough that it causes problem but I do notice that it goes down over time. I pull my battery every couple days and it gos right back to normal...

Jared
Old 11-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
Mine does leak. It doesn't leak enough that it causes problem but I do notice that it goes down over time. I pull my battery every couple days and it gos right back to normal...

Jared
Same here I just mess with my BB all the time anyway so I am always taking the battery off. I just installed the reset app. and it works pretty good.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #11
Mark_Venture

Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

No leak here.. only have Gtalk and VZNav installed above and beyond what was "pre-installed" out of the box.

-> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all
Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #12
jnyost

So those of you that say you have no memory leak are reporting that your memory never goes down with normal usage?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
Mark_Venture

Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
So those of you that say you have no memory leak are reporting that your memory never goes down with normal usage?
While I may see it "go down" under normal use... it goes back up on its own... and it never gets low enough to cause items (like messages) being deleted. And I don't have to do anything for the free memory to return.

Where as what I consider a Memory leak would be the free memory going down, down, down, and getting below a few hundred KBytes... all the way to the point where messages/email/etc start dissapearing... and the free space never goes up or returns on its own... its not until the user pulls the battery from the device that the memory frees up, and the free memory returns...

-> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all
Old 11-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #14
qberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Im on my second unit already.
The first one had to be returned because everytime I charged my 8130 while it was on the unit rebooted when it went into power save mode .
The second unit deleted all my emails after about a week into it i dont know why but i havent had a problem with that since.

anyone noticing any bugs on the 4.3 software?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #15
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
While I may see it "go down" under normal use... it goes back up on its own... and it never gets low enough to cause items (like messages) being deleted. And I don't have to do anything for the free memory to return.

Where as what I consider a Memory leak would be the free memory going down, down, down, and getting below a few hundred KBytes... all the way to the point where messages/email/etc start dissapearing... and the free space never goes up or returns on its own... its not until the user pulls the battery from the device that the memory frees up, and the free memory returns...
The free memory declining with useage is what's commonly referred to as "memory leak", so yours does it too (they all do). As I posted above it should never make the phone's performance suffer unless there are unusual circumstances (no memory card and you're storing tons of pix/songs with almost no free memory to start with). This phone (and maybe all BB operating systems) is just built to do that without it hurting anything. Like I said my wife has never pulled her battery and hers works just fine.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #16
MikeMortgageGuy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

The issue is tied to VZ Navigator. I had the same issue and deleted it and now I no longer have the issue. Try this and I almost guarantee the memory leak will stop...
Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #17
Grant H

PIN: 317AF13F

Mine has the memory leak problem. Freeded memory to about 20mb and havent noticed anything yet.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #18
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMortgageGuy View Post
The issue is tied to VZ Navigator. I had the same issue and deleted it and now I no longer have the issue. Try this and I almost guarantee the memory leak will stop...
I don't use VZ Navigator. That's not the problem with my phone. I just think it's inherent in the software.

Last edited by jnyost; 11-27-2007 at 11:06 AM..
Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #19
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
The free memory declining with useage is what's commonly referred to as "memory leak", so yours does it too (they all do). As I posted above it should never make the phone's performance suffer unless there are unusual circumstances (no memory card and you're storing tons of pix/songs with almost no free memory to start with). This phone (and maybe all BB operating systems) is just built to do that without it hurting anything. Like I said my wife has never pulled her battery and hers works just fine.
This may be semantics, but at my work, a "leak" is a loss of memory (usually some amount over time, or per action) that is not recovered during normal use or at app close. What Mark describes would not be considered a "leak."
Old 11-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #20
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
This may be semantics, but at my work, a "leak" is a loss of memory (usually some amount over time, or per action) that is not recovered during normal use or at app close. What Mark describes would not be considered a "leak."
We are all using memory leak the same way. Mark was stating that he didn't see a leak where as some of us are. My memory does not go back up all by itself. I have to pull the battery to see my memory go back to normal. Mine does loose memory over time.

Jared

Last edited by jnyost; 11-27-2007 at 01:29 PM..
Closed Thread