Old 11-23-2007, 05:26 AM   #1
biroot

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SFR
Default IT Admin : How to force the phone to ring

Please Login to Remove!

Hey there,

i was wondering if there were a way to force the blackberry device to ring on an incoming call, 'cause i have a colleague that always puts his phone on mute, and so i can't reach him when i need him ; so i was wondering if with BES 3.6 sp3 that would be possible using IT policy, choosing a ringtone for him and force it to ring, no matter what he selected on his device.

Thank you all
Old 11-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Not as far as I am away.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
DarkWater
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Never heard of such functionality either.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

No. And that is the perfect example of the idiocy of trying to use technology to solve a behaviour problem. What if the person is in a situation where a phone rigning would be an embarassment? If you had that much control, the user would simply turn off the phone.

You have an issue with a user, talk to him.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Frank Castle

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

There has been a over reaction on here lately regarding device control. People are starting to blur the line between security and what is functional. If you go crazy and lock down every possible thing the device IMO becomes useless and you'll see users just stop using it.

There is a balance.

Last edited by Frank Castle; 11-23-2007 at 12:13 PM..
Old 11-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Getting back on topic....

I did see a 3rd party app not too long ago that would do just this. It would allow you to send a message to the device that would make it "ring" even if it was on vibrate or quiet. It was mostly for finding it when you set it down and can't remember where you put it. Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but it came to mind when I read this thread.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 AM   #7
biroot

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
No. And that is the perfect example of the idiocy of trying to use technology to solve a behaviour problem. What if the person is in a situation where a phone rigning would be an embarassment? If you had that much control, the user would simply turn off the phone.

You have an issue with a user, talk to him.

First, i was'nt asking for your mind, i really don't care what you may think. But for the info, he's a good friend of mine, and i told him many time it was bothering all of us ; plus, willing to know if this is possible doesn't mean i'll apply it ; you maybe know how to use a gun, i assume if you do you don't spend your time shooting people. And as you say, i have no interessest in bothering him so much that he will turn off his phone, so keep cool, if you have something to propose you're welcome, if not, you know what to do.

Back to the main subject, John Clark the software you speak about may do the job, without harming the privacy of my colleague, 'cause that forced ring would be used only in emergency cases ; do you remember how this app was called?

my appologies for not so good english!
cheers
Old 11-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
merlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: 2059E07F
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by biroot View Post
choosing a ringtone for him and force it to ring, no matter what he selected on his device.
Hi. Depending on what version of the handheld software your using, you can do something like that, but it is setup on the device, not by IT Policy

In the profile settings, where it lists the profiles, on later versions of the OS (Ive seen it on a 8800 and 8300) there is a line that says "Use Active Profile Except For.

In there you can put in a list of exceptions and tell it what profile and ringtone to use if the listed people phone.

I have this set for two people and it doesn't matter what profile the phone is set two, if either of these two people ring it always plays the ringtone I selected.

Hope that helps
M
Old 11-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

You'd never be able to account for a battery pull. We have a user like that too.
Closed Thread