Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
SD BB Newbie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Trackball Sinking?

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone had any problems with the 8300 series and the trackbal sinking down into the device. I've had my 8310 for almost a month and I've noticed that the trackball does not sit as high on the front of the device as it did when I first purchased it. It is still fully functional, but it just seems like it sits lower than it originally did, and needs to be pushed down farther to get the "click." I suppose it could be an issue with the trackball getting "broken-in," but since I am a BB Newbie, I just wanted to make sure this isn't a defect. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

The trackball on my warranty replacement 8320 is lower and feels really soft when pushed. My old one was nice and springy. I even tried swapping the trackball before I sent the old one back and it's definitely the metal contact switch under the ball that's the problem.

It seems like I got a little better feel by rotating the trackball unit when I reinstalled it. But I think that's just psychological.

I'm thinking of putting some kind of spacer in there to make it a little more responsive. Definitely like the feel of my old trackball much better. I think whoever had this unit before it was refurbished really used it a lot.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
delmarco
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
The trackball on my warranty replacement 8320 is lower and feels really soft when pushed. My old one was nice and springy. I even tried swapping the trackball before I sent the old one back and it's definitely the metal contact switch under the ball that's the problem.

It seems like I got a little better feel by rotating the trackball unit when I reinstalled it. But I think that's just psychological.

I'm thinking of putting some kind of spacer in there to make it a little more responsive. Definitely like the feel of my old trackball much better. I think whoever had this unit before it was refurbished really used it a lot.
Besides the dirty color transformation, does the trackball usually give problems on these devices?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
digitalextremes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Besides the dirty color transformation, does the trackball usually give problems on these devices?
From what I found, the trackball on the 8300 is not the same as the one on 8800, the one on the 8800 seems more smooth/silent/better built.

I took apart my trackball from 8800 and 8300 to compare and found that the only difference was that there is an extra metal ring on the 8800 trackball, everything else looked the same.

When you are looking at the trackball, it be touching the white ring when its not pressed, when you presses it lightly, it should go down, as long as its touching the ring without pressing it or putting your finger on it, it should be fine, if its not then there might be an issue with the little metal strip underneath the trackball that holds it higher.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
[IFC]Area51

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Since you guys mentioned this already, ill post my findings and a possible remedy for this.

The feel i like on my trackball is more of a not too soft feel. You say you want a more springy feel on your trackball and get rid of that lowrider feel? Well, i have done this and if you're about to attempt this then it's AT YOUR OWN RISK.

It's simple, the trackball sits on a metal and over time with repeated presses will bend down and lose it's strengh. To give it's strengh back or even a more springy feel, you'll have to take apart the trackball assembly exposing the trackball. Once at this process, pull the metal up but becareful not to over bend it as you might break the metal off. Once you have bend the metal up to your likings then assemble the trackball again.

NOTE: it is now a little trickier to assemble it back due to the metal pushing the trackball up way more from it's normal state.

P.S. The grainy feel to a trackball has to do with the way the middle housing of the phone sits with the trackball assembly. The method above just restores the " springy feel " to the trackball or even making the springy feel better.

I don't know if this is worth a sticky but might be useful info for others.
8100|8300|8310|8320|8900|9000|9700|9650

Last edited by [IFC]Area51; 11-28-2007 at 01:59 PM..
Old 11-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
R-W
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Down
Carrier: T-mo
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD BB Newbie View Post
Has anyone had any problems with the 8300 series and the trackbal sinking down into the device. I've had my 8310 for almost a month and I've noticed that the trackball does not sit as high on the front of the device as it did when I first purchased it. It is still fully functional, but it just seems like it sits lower than it originally did, and needs to be pushed down farther to get the "click." I suppose it could be an issue with the trackball getting "broken-in," but since I am a BB Newbie, I just wanted to make sure this isn't a defect. Thanks.
-------------------

I have had my 8320 for a little over a month now, and my trackball is doing the same thing! I'm not really sure if I want to take the chance of "taking the ball out" and Readjusting the metal underneath, because, I'm afraid I will ruin the whole device! I suppose as long as the trackball keeps working the way its supposed to, I'll be fine with it.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
monkeypaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by [IFC]Area51 View Post
Since you guys mentioned this already, ill post my findings and a possible remedy for this.

The feel i like on my trackball is more of a not too soft feel. You say you want a more springy feel on your trackball and get rid of that lowrider feel? Well, i have done this and if you're about to attempt this then it's at YOUR OWN RISK.

It's simple, the trackball sits on a metal and over time with repeated presses will bend down and lose it's strengh. To give it's strengh back or even a more springy feel, you'll have to take apart the trackball assembly exposing the trackball. Once at this process, pull the metal up but becareful not to over bend it as you might break the metal off. Once you have bend the metal up to your likings then assemble the trackball again.

NOTE: it is now a little trickier to assemble it back due to the metal pushing the trackball up way more from it's normal state.

P.S. The grainy feel to a trackball has to do with the way the middle housing of the phone sits with the trackball assembly. The method above just restores the " springy feel " to the trackball or even making the springy feel better.

I don't know if this is worth a sticky but might be useful info for others.
Which metal are you bending? The part directly underneath the trackball on the trackball assembly itself? or the part on the circuit board?

On mine the part that seems worn out is the contact switch on the circuit board. When I was a kid I fixed this part on a game controller by bending it back but those were big pieces of metal and easy to handle. On the Curve, this is a tiny bit of metal.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
[IFC]Area51

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
Which metal are you bending? The part directly underneath the trackball on the trackball assembly itself? or the part on the circuit board?

On mine the part that seems worn out is the contact switch on the circuit board. When I was a kid I fixed this part on a game controller by bending it back but those were big pieces of metal and easy to handle. On the Curve, this is a tiny bit of metal.
on the trackball assembly itself

As what i mentioned to take apart.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #9
SD BB Newbie

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Glad to finally get some responses. I was beginning to think that either it was only my BB that had a problem or that problem I discovered was only in my head. I agree, since I am a BB Newbie, that I wouldn't feel comfortable taking my device apart and bending a metal piece. I just hope that the problem doesn't become worse over time to where the trackball can no longer be depressed or rolled.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 AM   #10
[IFC]Area51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD BB Newbie View Post
Glad to finally get some responses. I was beginning to think that either it was only my BB that had a problem or that problem I discovered was only in my head. I agree, since I am a BB Newbie, that I wouldn't feel comfortable taking my device apart and bending a metal piece. I just hope that the problem doesn't become worse over time to where the trackball can no longer be depressed or rolled.
It won't get worst but the above is just for desperate measures.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:51 AM   #11
monkeypaw

I opted for 5 strips of scotch tape layered on top of the contact switch on the circuit board. Its still not as snappy as my old unit but it now makes contact about the same level as it should. I'll probably have to check it once in a while to see what gunk gets stuck around the tape.

If it goes out, I hope it happens before the 1 yr warranty is over.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #12
jcbauerca

Carrier: t-mobile

You guys are funny, I don't keep my phones long enough to let the track ball issue worry me. As long as it works I'm ok with it. If it doesn't work right, I just go to T-mobile and get a new one from their warranty.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
johnyguy

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

i have the same problem i mean the trackball should be more up position , i was thinking about that solution to band the metal but after a while u will pressing on it and it will go back to the same position it was before,

So what has to be done is u need to glue some kinda small plastic on the top of the metal part, personaly i have never toke it apart the my bb but i assume after what u guys saying , so u need to shim it up like one of the user did with the tape but to keep it work u need something harder like a thin plastic fils or shim so the track ball will be in a more upper position at all time, and it would be easyer to operate and responsive!!!

that is my idea!

How hard is to get to the trackball????

thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #14
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE
i only use my trackball to scroll and the enter (return) key to do the clickin'.. my trackball should work okay for over 5 years or so. lol
Closed Thread