BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Combat Medic

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Default BlackBerry with two mailboxes

Please Login to Remove!

I'm trying to figure something out here. I have a Sprint BlackBerry linked to my work Exchange server through BES. I have another mailbox that also runs on Exchange but is reachable through IMAP and SMTP.
I'm trying to figure out a way to manage both mailboxes from one BlackBerry. I've got a Java based IMAP client, but it doesn't check for new mail on its own so it is a partial solution. Does anybody have another option?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Set up the IMAP/Exchange account using BIS, if your BES admin permits it.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
Ramsy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Set up the IMAP/Exchange account using BIS, if your BES admin permits it.
If the above solution is not supported, you can setup desktop redirector for your second account. The only caveat is that you will need to name the desktop redirector account to something other then "desktop" because this is the default name used by the BES. In the desktop redirector application, go to Email Settings >> Advanced, then change the "message services display name."

I currently have my BB tied to a BES and a second Exchange account via a desktop redirector. I get push mail on both accounts, wireless sync of contacts, calendar and memos flawlessy. The emails of the two accounts do not get synced back to the other server (i.e. the Outlook account does not pick up the messages of the other account). With OS 4.5, the calendars are segregated by color code and are not synced between the two accounts. In other words, you have full flexibility to control both accounts via your BB, but the two accounts stay separate and distinct.

Last edited by Ramsy; 06-27-2008 at 10:02 AM..
Old 07-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
griff2ooo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

So, let me ask a question. Recently, I removed my phone from my company's BES although I have the option to re-activate if needed. I did this because I have another laptop running re-director for a separate work email account ( I am a contractor). If what you are saying is correct, I can keep my BES connection AND use the blackberry desktop re-direct on the other account and send emails to both accounts? Can an IT policy affect this at all?!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
reneerG

Model: 8700c
Default Two email accounts

I don't know if we use BES at my new job and am trying to connect my work email to my BB. Right now it's connected to my comcast home pc account and push/sync ect. all work fine.
The Admin at my new job said I can only get email to my BB from work address if my PC is on and Director is running. That seems very ineffecient to me.... i.e. I'm stuck in airport and can't get any email unless I boot up my laptop and connect to the network. Then what would I need the BB for? I think they don't connect email to the server the way other companies do? I noticed I can't select delegates in calendar, etc. and that's a feature Outlook says you can only use if on server.

Thoughts? Help....
Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
tpoon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

reneerG - I recall this issue all too well. One delayed flight practically killed 20% of my business. I would suggest checking out Exchange, with OWA. I'm currently using BES as well, and have experienced time and cost efficient business management with The Message Center Exchange Hosting
Old 08-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
reneerG

Model: 8700c

Sounds like I'd need Work's IT to buy in to that. But worth a chat with them.... was hoping for a way with fwd, or some sync somewhere I could find a way to make it work w/o re-engineering the whole internal IT. Security is big issue here as we're in hltcare sector. Thanks for the empathy/sympathy though....
Closed Thread