Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
phdberry

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint?
Default Pearl SureType questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all, new member here so sorry in advance for the long post. I recently got an LG env2 texting phone, but I'm considering trading it in for a Pearl on Sprint. The goal is to retire my ancient Pocket PC, which still works perfectly but is another thing to carry. I've done some research, and I know I can sync Outlook to home and work, send/receive email, view attachments, browse the web, and do all the other things the Pearl will do better than the env2. But I text a lot, and I've already gotten hooked on the qwerty keypad on the env2 and I'm wondering if I'll miss it. My questions are:

- I assume new words you text are added to the dictionary, but can you delete them, or otherwise modify the dictionary? When I used to type "lm" using T9 predictive text (which I do all the time as it is short for a surf spot) I had to cycle past km, lo, jo, kn, and ko before getting to lm. Is SureType similar or can I edit it so it goes straight to "lm"?

- Similar question--how does SureType handle nonsense or deliberately incorrect spellings? Can I type "thru" and not have to search for the spelling I want? How about "un4getabl"? How about unusual people or place names? How do you mix in numbers?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by phdberry; 06-17-2008 at 11:10 PM..
Old 06-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to the BBForums!

i loved SureType, for a couple years, until I got a full qwerty BB. Lots of users here love Suretype, I could type faster on it than a full qwerty kb, but it will all be personal preference. SureType is NOT a T9 kb, by any means, and it takes about two weeks of getting used to it. An open mind and some patience and you will be fine.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
plasticities
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

you can't edit the actual dictionary, but there is a default setting on the pearl that will "learn" what you would most likely type with the example that you gave and it would eventually automatically go to "lm." and the same goes for your second question. at first it would try to correct you but eventually it would input the word you are trying to type. and there is a shift key that allows you to type numbers as they are on the same keys as the letters.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
adorableone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T US

I upgraded to a pearl from an LG F9100, and while the QWERTY keyboard was nice, it was too cramped and even with my small fingers had difficulty texting at times. I initially used multi-tap for a few months, and gradually warmed up to using suretype. I don't know how I lived with out suretype, it makes texting super fast and more efficient.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
phdberry

Thanks guys, it sounds like this will work OK for me. Much appreciated.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticities View Post
you can't edit the actual dictionary
Actually I used to edit mine all the time. It's under Options -> Custom Dictionary. I would sometimes get the strangest 'words' in there (like 'ygat' for 'that').

It's true that the device will learn your words and will also scan emails to add words to the dictionary. If you don't want them in there, you can just delete them.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
PaulMdx

Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdberry View Post
When I used to type "lm" using T9 predictive text (which I do all the time as it is short for a surf spot) I had to cycle past km, lo, jo, kn, and ko before getting to lm. Is SureType similar or can I edit it so it goes straight to "lm"?
I've just tried 'lm' on my BB and it comes up first time, so you may be ok. As others have mentioned, you can also edit the custom dictionary. You should find SureType is significantly more powerful than T9. SureType is to T9 what T9 is to plain ABC DEF multi-tap.

I think the way SureType works in part is to use a state machine to recognise letters that commonly follow others. For that reason writing words like BlackBerryForum works even though it's not in the dictionary because it understands what words commonly 'look' like (Eg. after an Fo you will commonly get an 'r' not an 'e').

Last edited by PaulMdx; 06-18-2008 at 03:13 PM..
Old 06-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
phdberry

Thanks again everyone for the info. It seems that Suretype is true auto-completion (whereas T9 just suggests words based on the number of letters you've typed). Is this true? Would it suggest "through" after I type "thr"? If so, this would be a huge improvement and maybe a good substitute for qwerty.

Probably will order tomorrow

Last edited by phdberry; 06-18-2008 at 04:31 PM..
Old 06-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

If you get the 8130 from Sprint, you will SureType and Predictive Text loaded on it.

They are not the same thing. SureType itself does not suggestion complete words from partial typing, but SureType basically figures the word as you go from the characters entered, but you must type the complete word. It is quite accurate.

Predictive Text (which most Pearl users don't like) is just what it says, it predicts the word for you, and is wrong a lot. You may end up turning off the Predictive Text.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
phdberry

Gotcha, thanks again.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
Gingerboy

PIN: 2535D1EC
Carrier: Orange

when i type Tuesday (or want to) the first option is the word tuesfat??????

why!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
JNHohol
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Just a few extra things for you. I used a PocketPC (aka the Brick) and I found that the Pearl can't do a few things as smoothly as the PocketPC. But don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my Pearl for anything, except maybe a Bold or possibly a Curve.

1.) The Pearl's Internet browser is not as good as the Pocket Internet Browser for file downloads and flash compatibility. The PPC Internet explorer would let you download many more file types and there is no Adobe Flash available for the Pearl or any BlackBerry.

2.) PPC's have a better Microsoft Documents interface, (Word & Excel).

3.) You will have to buy a .PDF reader with the Pearl, as the one that is included is slow and very limited (Scrolling, zooming, etc.)

4.) PPC, along with PocketTV (a free download), is capable of playing many more types of video files. BlackBerry's are limited to .3gp, modified .wma's, and a couple others.

I have been able to deal with these few short comings pretty easily except for the document interface. I just don't create Word or Excel files on my Pearl. This could change when the 4.5 OS becomes available (Aug./Sept.?) for the 8130 with Docs ToGo, then I might get to start doing these again.

As far as Sprint goes, the customer service can be a nightmare, but I feel when I got my plan they offered the best price for phone/data/navigation. You also get to roam on Verizon included on the phone plan.

P.S. Suretype works very well for me. As stated you can edit the custom dictionary, it has a self-correcting dictionary (dont --> don't, etc.), and the predictive typing works well because it doesn't change or interfere with what you are typing, it just suggests what you are trying to type. You can ignore it by continuing to type.

As a whole, the 8130 is lightyears ahead of the PPC.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
phdberry

Thanks JNHolol. My PPC isn't even a phone, it's an old HP 1930 which doesn't have any wireless at all, so I imagine the BB will be an improvement in every way. I've used it primarily to keep my calendar and contacts synced between my home and work computers. I know what you mean about the document interface, but I don't expect to do much if any Word or Excel editing on the BB. My work doesn't pay for my phone, hence I don't work on my phone Similarly, I use my ipod for videos so I don't think that'll be a factor either. I still hear a lot of complaints about PPC and I've certainly had my Activesync issues so I'm kinda looking forward to the new platform.

Speaking of which, here's another question: can you use a subset of your Outlook contacts as your phone book in the BB? I have many more contacts than I would want or need to be in the BB's directory. With my LG phones, I exported a .pst file of contacts which were category "Friends" and uploaded that into the phone using Bitpim. Can I do similarly or is this built into the BB?

PS, yes I am considering a Curve too and may go into the store tonight to see if I can comfortably pocket one.

Last edited by phdberry; 06-18-2008 at 06:57 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 04:30 AM   #14
plasticities

Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Actually I used to edit mine all the time. It's under Options -> Custom Dictionary. I would sometimes get the strangest 'words' in there (like 'ygat' for 'that').
i know, i meant the dictionary that i would assume the phone comes with to recognize the normal words you use. different from the custom dictionary.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
Sweetlittlehugs

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question

Is it true that most pearl owners hate predictive text? I love it! Of course I am a very bad speller so it saves me a lot. Love that spell check too!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #16
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

i love the predictive text. it takes about a week or so for you to get used to it, but with the phone learning things all the time, things are super easy!!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #17
Davidgr

Model: 8120
Carrier: ATT

I love Suretype on my Pearl, but there is one thing that bugs me. I type "at" often. However, the default Suretype suggestion is "st", so there are often typos if I don't look at the screen.

Is there a way to reorder the Suretype suggestions so "at" comes up before "st" or "St"? I know how to add new words, but not how to modify the default dictionary.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
Moonshadow
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlittlehugs
Is it true that most pearl owners hate predictive text? I love it! Of course I am a very bad speller so it saves me a lot. Love that spell check too!
I love it too.

Telus - 8130 - BES/BIS
Old 07-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #19
noelstrom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Can you turn predicitive text off? How?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #20
kennethmurrell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8110
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticities View Post
you can't edit the actual dictionary, but there is a default setting on the pearl that will "learn" what you would most likely type with the example that you gave and it would eventually automatically go to "lm." and the same goes for your second question. at first it would try to correct you but eventually it would input the word you are trying to type. and there is a shift key that allows you to type numbers as they are on the same keys as the letters.
You can edit the dictionary with sprint pearl, and you can turn on/off the auto correct settings. I got used to it in about a day, I think if you are a texter then you will adapt quickly. Just make sure you don't care about picture mail, because the sprint blackberries cannot MMS, even though sometimes advertised as being able to. Lemme know if you have further questions.
Closed Thread