Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
one100

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Getting a blackberry and got a few questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone, I'm new here. So I'm pretty sure I will be getting a blackberry pretty soon. I'm with T-Mobile and I'm getting either the Curve or the Pearl 8100. I've heard that the pearl is better, I like it's size but I'm unsure of the keyboard.

Also, can you view videos on both of them?

The cost of data is $40 by itself, but if I'm already on a plan and add the data plan as well, will it be cheaper?

Thanks a lot
Old 06-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
oakie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

1. i currently have both and prefer the full keyboard of my curve. your miles may vary, so best bet is to take advantage of their 14 day return policy by choosing one, and if you dont like it, exchange it for the other.

2. yes, you can view videos... basic formats like mpg, avi, wmv, and 3gp. no divx, xvid, or h.264 without a different player that supports those codecs. if you are looking to watch movies, there are rippers out there to automagically convert dvd's into bberry approved formats. as for embedded flash videos like youtube, no. not at this time but is coming in the next software release rumoured to be released this summer.

3. Blackberry Internet Service or Unlimited Internet plans are $19.95 when bundled with a plan. i recommend the former over the latter unless you want hotspot access for your laptop too. you should check out the t-mobile site.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT and verizon

I have both of these phones and I really like them both very much. I am convinced that one is not better than the other.

Personally I love the Pearl keyboard and I am very fast on it, it is harder when you have complicated words to type, sure type is excellent and with regular texting and using normal vocabulary its great. I adore the Pearl.

I just got the Curve. I find the keyboard to be harder to type on because the keys are so tiny but the screen makes up for it. I prefer reading and responding to long emails on that, I like use the google maps better with the bigger screen.

I find the pearl to be a more intuitive and economical lay out but curve screen is amazing.

I really cant make up my mind on which i like better so I thnk that they are equal, each having strong points. The pearl is the ultimate pocket phone and an amazingly fast texting phone. Just depends on what you need. I dont know what the heck I need thus I have them both.

If i have to text on the fly with only one hand ... for example texting while riding a bike .. pearl is my pick and I have not crashed once. Office work is more for the Curve because there is less scrolling, the phone logs are easier to read through etc.

Take your pick, they are both excellent.

Kalinka
Old 06-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

On the other hand, I do not like the Suretype (Pearl) keyboard and much prefer the form factor of the Curve. To me, it's not even close. I don't like the Pearl at all. I think that was the shortest time I ever had a BlackBerry. Just didn't like the keyboard.

Simple - YMMV
Old 06-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
ladykilla

Wirelessly posted

Since I only have a curve I'm a bit partial. Like oakie said get both and see which one you like. Welcome to BBF!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Oakie's point #1 is a great one. Also, if you go into a T-Mobile store, they can let you play around with each device. That's a great way to feel out which one would be better for you.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
palanilopez12
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint

i have used my friend's pearl and am not a big fan or it i prefer my curve...but then again that's just me
Old 06-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
VHT
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: alltel

I have an 8830, having played a lot with the Curve and the Pearl, and knowing some of the issues with the Pearl, I would have to the Curve is the one to get.

The Pearl is prettier tho...

The Curve is at least doing MMS well. Did the Pearls get that squared away? ;)
Old 06-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #9
plasticities
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

i'd go into the store and look at both of them. if suretype on the pearl is what is holding you back, it really isn't a big deal. my old phone had a full keyboard and i hated the idea of using suretype but after like three days it is so much easier being able to type with one hand when it is needed.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Canada

If you are planning to do a lot of writing on your BB and watching video regularly, perhaps the Curve with its larger screen and keyboard are what you want.

If you really want a small handy phone and are using it mainly for text and short emails [like me] perhaps the Pearl is better for you. Suretype takes a little practice and familiarization, but it works pretty well [I don't think I'd try Kalinka's texting-on-a-bike trick tho'...]
Old 06-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
one100

Model: none
Carrier: T-Mobile

Ah thanks guys. I'll let you know what I get soon.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT and verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheA View Post
If you really want a small handy phone and are using it mainly for text and short emails [like me] perhaps the Pearl is better for you. Suretype takes a little practice and familiarization, but it works pretty well [I don't think I'd try Kalinka's texting-on-a-bike trick tho'...]
It only hurts when you hit the ground. I am sure it will happen at some point. Texting on the curve while riding a bike is damned near impossible so I may keep the Curve just to save on band aids.

Kalinka
Closed Thread