Old 06-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
sh0n
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Oh Canada!

Please Login to Remove!

ok, so i thought the US gov was dirty... I just want to say, Im sorry my Canadian friends. This article made me cringe.

Controversial copyright reform to be unveiled Thursday

How can a government tell you what you can and cant do to your Mobile Device and music!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
sh0n
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I will be angry for you. That is just sooo wrong. When are they going to make you wear a barcode on your forehead, and put tracking beacons in your $%@ ??
Old 06-12-2008, 01:30 AM   #3
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0n View Post
ok, so i thought the US gov was dirty... I just want to say, Im sorry my Canadian friends. This article made me cringe.

Controversial copyright reform to be unveiled Thursday

How can a government tell you what you can and cant do to your Mobile Device and music!
The most interesting part is this:

Quote:
The agreement, which was recently published on a Web site known for disseminating leaked documents, would require Internet service providers to police the content that travels over their network. According to the four-page document, ISPs could be required to filter pirated digital files and reveal the identities of customers suspected of infringing on copyrighted material.
Are they actually saying that they previewed the (copyrighted?) document from a pirate website so that they could report on the new proposed copyright law? That is freaking funny!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:23 AM   #4
plasticities
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

WHY does canada want to be the united states.

maybe it's because i don't live there/don't know about anything that is going on... but this seems like totally out of left field for canada. but that is from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't live there.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

conservatives for you
Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

wow I am pretty conservative but i wouldnt even goe for this.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
plasticities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeypants View Post
Wirelessly posted

Thinking about it, this bill doesn't even mater. As we speak, officials from Canada, the US and the EU are meeting to sign a NAFTA-like copyright deal that would give their respective border officals the rights to look at the contents of your phone, computer, iPod, CDs, DVDs, memory cards, etc., to look for anything that they deem infringes upon a copyright.

Trade bills like this do not need Royal Assent from the GG in Canada (or even to be discussed and debated in the HoC) so if the government likes it, it passes. Just like Congress and the Senate in the States has no say, only the President.

Looks like I better travel with an empty iPod because all of my music is ripped from my CD collection which could be a major no no.

Ugh.
there seriously aren't more important things going on right now?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticities View Post
there seriously aren't more important things going on right now?
But those important issues are only important to us . Its bills like this that slowly take our freedoms and use them against us.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
plasticities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
But those important issues are only important to us . Its bills like this that slowly take our freedoms and use them against us.
i guess that makes sense. it's the major companies that are losing money from all of this. i just don't see how something so blatantly invasive could pass. even/especially in the US.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
plasticities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeypants View Post
Wirelessly posted

I certainly understand that Canada needs better copyright laws, but this is extreme.

Currently Canadians can share stuff on P2P networks so long as the file(s) was legally purchased in the first place.a judge ruled that it was no different than having a "photocopier in a library" where all books are copyrighted and do not allow for "unauthorised reproductions".

I love that ruling. It just made sense. But theb again, it's also quite unfair for companies.
that does make sense. i'm not very knowledgeable on the subject but to my knowledge the US hasn't even gotten that far yet. it just seems like they are picking people at random to prosecute for copyrighting issues and charging them heinous fines to try to set an example for everyone else. obviously that method isn't really working, especially since more and more artists are releasing their copyrighted material freely online anyway.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
plasticities

it doesn't even seem like it's that difficult to track down who is originally ripping all of this stuff and putting it out there. it just seems like the US won't take the time to start from the source and eliminate more illegal downloading in the long run (they can't download it if it isn't there) and simply punish those who are most convienent to find. it's just another example of the near-sighted approach the US likes to use for EVERYTHING.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #12
David.Burke

Model: 3GS
Carrier: Rogers

This is the lesser of two evils between flat user taxes on recordable media, or that insipid $5 a month surcharge they were talking about for unlimited MP3 downloading.
Closed Thread