Old 06-06-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
DanielJay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA
Default BES not pushing out emails

Please Login to Remove!

We have had our BES server up for about 1 month and everything was working fine. The power went out on the machine running BES and now it does not seem to be pushing emails out to the devices. The devices do however receive the IT Policy as noted by the updated timestamp in BES.

I am getting a lot of this in my event viewer:
Code:
Event Type:	Warning
Event Source:	BlackBerry Controller
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	20000
Date:		6/6/2008
Time:		7:52:32 AM
User:		N/A
Computer:	BAK
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 20000 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Controller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Agent 1: Missed 90 heartbeats.
I am running on:
Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2
BlackBerry Manager Version 4.1.4.15
Exchange Server 2003 SP2

I am not the person that set this all up, I am just the guy they said: "Here manage this".

I have restarted our Exchange server as well as the machine that we have the BlackBerry Manager on.
I have also tried to search on: BlackBerry Technical Solution Center for any type of answer but found nothing.

Any ideas?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
chriswight

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Default A couple of things

You may have already done this, but make sure the BES is rebooted *after* the Exchange server. RIM actually reccomends this, because the MAPI connection from the BES breaks when Exchange (or an Active Directory server) goes offline. Things might seem normal for a while, but services will sometimes degrade because MAPI isn't fully "re-hooked". RIM blames this on Microsoft, and Microsoft blames it on RIM.

Anyway, the 20000 event doesn't really mean anything without a description. We get tons of various warnings during normal operation.

You might have better luck looking at the BES logs, specifically the MAGT (Messaging Agent) logs. If the logging level is turned up high enough, then you'll likely see some delivery errors there. The "Message has been delivered to device" events in the MAGT log mean things are working.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
DanielJay

That is good to know about the above information. The server we have the BB Manager installed on has been rebooted several times since we had issues with our Exchange and Active Directory servers.

I am not sure which place to turn the Messaging Agent logs up to check for delivery errors. I have found the log files and looked at the MAGT files and have noticed that in a past log(When the server was working fine) items such as:
Code:
[40690] (06/02 00:01:20.003):{0x1710} {email@domain.com} Starting message status rescan
However in the logs from say today these items are not listed. Is there a particular log that I could try posting that may help troubleshooting this issue?

*Edit: I will also add that I am able to send messages by PIM but not by Email via the BB Manager. So it appears that it is an issue with the connection to the Exchange server.

Last edited by DanielJay; 06-06-2008 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Added more information
Old 06-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
Keyscan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

a good hint for starters would be to check in your application log.

Do you see any errors or warnings from source: BlackBerry Messaging agent that says "user <user> not started", blocked worker threads, or failed health checks? These will hint at an issue with the mapi session between bes and exchange/gc.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
DanielJay

Well I still was unable to figure things out. I uninstalled everything and started over with the setup instructions and everything works now. Thank goodness for only having 5 users at this point.
Closed Thread