BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #41
joeygator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

My children believe there is a jammer at their school. My phone works great there.

Portable jammers are available and possibly illegal if you get caught. If you had one on you to shut off a noisy person in a restaurant and then immediately turned it off, right after they were dropped, you would probably just make all of your neighbors happy!

But don't get caught. The big bells would be very unhappy if you mess with their spectrum!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #42
wjackson81
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 235977d4
Carrier: ATT

Kids dont need cell phones in school period. I made it through school without one and kids were bringing guns to school. F that bs... We did have a phone in every classrom though.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:18 AM   #43
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick
Carrier: Verizon

Hmm,, lets see.. Why doesn't the Gov want untrained, uneducated or civilians with criminal intent want them to have "cell phone" jammers.

Criminal reasons why not - Bank robbers could use modify to block both cell phone and digital police radio up to 1/2-1 mile range. So even though the bank alerts the police the squad cars don't get the call in the immediate area. This use is not just limited to bank robberies.

Untrained uneducated or stupid people - Some dipsh%& could leave it on every where they go when they drive around town, or on a train, or airplane. All of which could cause lots of interference or out right shut down communications. This would be especially bad on an airplane.

Overall - Not a good idea for civilians use and own.

I think thats the main fear with cell phone jamming. Not only would it affect cell phones, it could also affect other unintended devices.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #44
charliez

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Put 911 only phones in every classroom and in the halls and jam away as far as I am concerned....

Kris

WOW! Apearently you've never dealt with funding in a school district. I handle all the phone system for our local district.

1. Who do you think is going to fund that? A single phone for our district, plus equipment to make that phone function and your looking at minimum $300 per classroom. Just one of our two high schools has 260 rooms. That's $78,000 without counting any of the "other" locations. Now double that cause the push is to put phones in every classroom. Now compound that by 31 campuses. We can easily be talking about five milloin bucks here. And we are by far not the largest school district in Texas.

2. The main focus for school funding is getting those pesky test scores up. If it aint going to improve those, or at least give the politicians a way to say it did, then it ain't going to be funded.

3. Just how many false 911 calls would you expect a day out of that? We allready have about a dozen a week.

4. Most things like this are simple rumors. The source may very well NOT be any school administration.

All my classroom phones are two line phones. One is an internal extension that cannot be reached from the pstn and the other is a hotline that will directly call the front office only. Very few calls need to be made from the classroom to 911.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #45
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I have installed many pools and the phone line direct to 911 is less that a hundred bucks including the phone.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #46
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Why are phones, or even MP3 players allowed in classroom at all?

I know many kids that hid test information in the lyrics files/setting on their MP3 player. Then of course there is the good old take a picture and send it to another person... so many ways to cheat and hide it.

The bottom line for me as a parent is using smart limits, then the phone is shut off during school hours, and can only be used before 8AM and after 4PM M-F.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #47
thgirbla
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Schools don't have intercom systems now? You don't need a phone in a classroom at all. Any emergency broadcasts should be made overthe school intercom system.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #48
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by thgirbla View Post
Schools don't have intercom systems now? You don't need a phone in a classroom at all. Any emergency broadcasts should be made overthe school intercom system.
I think the general concern is for making outbound 911 calls if there is an emergency.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #49
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Interesting to not that you pop in this BB forum for the first time, and your just happen to notice this thread... oddly coincidental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
1. Who do you think is going to fund that? A single phone for our district, plus equipment to make that phone function and your looking at minimum $300 per classroom.
$300 - Government rigged bid list price

$100 - Private Citizen price with no markup, graft and corruption built in.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #50
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Every school I have ever attended has had a phone in the classroom. I remember the teacher calling my mom in kindergarten after I had a potty accident. (Thank God those don't happen anymore.) School Shootings have been happening for a very long time, google search it I remember seeing guns and knives at school when I went to high school (Early Nineties) In those days you rarely saw a Cell Phone. I believe a childs primary focus at school should be education, however being the father of a 10 year old 5th Grader and 6 year old 1st Grader I am very leery of the world we live in today. I want my child to be able to dial 911 whenever she feels as if she is in danger.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #51
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

My daughter, brother, and sister both have cell phones. They range from 13-11 and i wouldnt want it any other way. They know if they are caught using the phone in school or during class there will be "issues" at home. I want them to have the ability to call me or my parents or the police if any emergency happens.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 05-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #52
hrddrv
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300

As a school employee (I am a high school computer tech) I know all the problems with cell phones and mp3 players. The main problem is it is a disturbance during class. I have subbed a few classes and was actually teaching when a mom called her son to tell him to not ride the bus. The school has a phone for you to call and leave messages for the child for God sakes. I could care less about the cheating. If a kid is to lazy to learn then oh well. You are not going to change that in HS. We considered the jammers here but have recently decided not to do it. No there is not a way around them unless you unplug them or shut them off.

And just for the record yes I use my phone at work for work purposes only. I also have a radio I carry. I am the only tech on campus so if something goes down I need to be reached right away. That is one of the reasons I have a Blackberry.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #53
charliez

"I have installed many pools and the phone line direct to 911 is less that a hundred bucks including the phone."

We're an all Cisco shop and the least of the model of phones we install is a 7941. That's $300 right there, then factor in a poe switch to run it, and then add in data cabling for rooms that don't have enough, then add in ER and CM licensing, etc etc. So $500 a single phone is exceeded in a heartbeat.

And just because you can get good pricing somewhere, it still has to be funded. Plain and simple, a district is not going to have funds available for a $500 plus phone set in each room just for a chance someone might need to call 911.

Our new intercom installs are moving to zone systems. A wing of a building will get an all call. An individual classroom can still call directly back tot he office.

We've allready proven that placing a phone on a teachers desk will stop about 95% of disipline issues. The last 5% would still act up if both parents, a grandma, and the police chief was standing beside them.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #54
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I would have no issues with a cell jammer in classrooms. When I was in school, I definitely would not have wanted to be sending texts, emails, photos, whatever, during class. I was there to learn. Thankfully my kids won't need cell phones for years still, and by then I'm thinking this type of situation will have a solution.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #55
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
"I have installed many pools and the phone line direct to 911 is less that a hundred bucks including the phone."

We're an all Cisco shop and the least of the model of phones we install is a 7941. That's $300 right there, then factor in a poe switch to run it, and then add in data cabling for rooms that don't have enough, then add in ER and CM licensing, etc etc. So $500 a single phone is exceeded in a heartbeat.

And just because you can get good pricing somewhere, it still has to be funded. Plain and simple, a district is not going to have funds available for a $500 plus phone set in each room just for a chance someone might need to call 911.

Our new intercom installs are moving to zone systems. A wing of a building will get an all call. An individual classroom can still call directly back tot he office.

We've allready proven that placing a phone on a teachers desk will stop about 95% of disipline issues. The last 5% would still act up if both parents, a grandma, and the police chief was standing beside them.
100 dollars is everyday pricing. It has nothing to do with special pricing. Its all about gouging the government for every penny that a private contractor can get away with. The 500.00 includes taking the superintendent out to lunch the kick back and so forth. I worked for the County Board of Education for ten years I know how this policy works very well. It doesnt matter whos the cheapest its a matter of who can fork out the most comps.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #56
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
WOW! Apearently you've never dealt with funding in a school district. I handle all the phone system for our local district.

1. Who do you think is going to fund that? A single phone for our district, plus equipment to make that phone function and your looking at minimum $300 per classroom. Just one of our two high schools has 260 rooms. That's $78,000 without counting any of the "other" locations. Now double that cause the push is to put phones in every classroom. Now compound that by 31 campuses. We can easily be talking about five milloin bucks here. And we are by far not the largest school district in Texas.

2. The main focus for school funding is getting those pesky test scores up. If it aint going to improve those, or at least give the politicians a way to say it did, then it ain't going to be funded.

3. Just how many false 911 calls would you expect a day out of that? We allready have about a dozen a week.

4. Most things like this are simple rumors. The source may very well NOT be any school administration.

All my classroom phones are two line phones. One is an internal extension that cannot be reached from the pstn and the other is a hotline that will directly call the front office only. Very few calls need to be made from the classroom to 911.
Pfffffffft!!!!!!! Go to bestbuy and purchase phone for $9.95... apparently you have never heard of taxpayer accountability...
Closed Thread