Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
wunderbar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Telus
Default CDO.dll affecting contacts?

Please Login to Remove!

A couple of my users are reporting that their contacts are not syncing up properly between device and exchange. Now, I know that CDO.dll is primarily for the calendar sync, but could a mis-matched version affect the contacts too?

I noticed today that our versions are different, seems the guy managing exchange updated without telling me and now the BES and exchange versions don't match.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 05-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

much better if they match.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
wunderbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
much better if they match.
yes, I know it is. I've already sent an e-mail to our exchange guy reminding him that he needs to tell me when he updates the exchange server so I can check on the cdo after. I've already scheduled maintenance time for tomorrow to update the BES version as well. I'm just curious if that could be causing the contacts issue as well.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 05-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Keyscan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
yes, I know it is. I've already sent an e-mail to our exchange guy reminding him that he needs to tell me when he updates the exchange server so I can check on the cdo after. I've already scheduled maintenance time for tomorrow to update the BES version as well. I'm just curious if that could be causing the contacts issue as well.
was the mapi32.dll and subsequent dll's updated as well? If they are also behind, then it could definitely be an issue.

If the contacts issue is not related and just started happening all of a sudden, it is most likely a Desktop [SYNC] service book issue or a wireless sync option issue.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
legacyb4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Can also affect calendaring issues as I recently found out with a remote site BES installation. Bringing the BES server up to Exchange 2003 SP2 for the management components sorted things out.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
wunderbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyscan View Post
was the mapi32.dll and subsequent dll's updated as well? If they are also behind, then it could definitely be an issue.

If the contacts issue is not related and just started happening all of a sudden, it is most likely a Desktop [SYNC] service book issue or a wireless sync option issue.
I've tried re-sending the service books to a couple users, and it has not helped, I just checked the mapi32.dll file on the servers, and on bes the version is 6.5.7888.0, and on our exchange the version is 1.0.2536.0. Now I'm pretty sure that's bad, but I'm not sure if I should take the BES version and put it on exchange, or take the exchange one and put it on BES. I'd prefer to take exchange and put it on the BES because I don't administer the exchange server and I have to get a couple more people involved and schedule some more extensive downtime.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Quote:
I just checked the mapi32.dll file on the servers, and on bes the version is 6.5.7888.0, and on our exchange the version is 1.0.2536.0. Now I'm pretty sure that's bad, but I'm not sure if I should take the BES version and put it on exchange, or take the exchange one and put it on BES.
Yes, MAPI 1.0 on your Exchange is very bad. MAPI 1.0 is a client version, Outlook essentially and it doesn't usually handle server side requests well.

DO NOT copy and paste MAPI32.dll ever!!!!! It's a more than just a file, it's a subsystem. Copying/pasting and registering will not fix that issue. I would check some Exchange Forums or contact Microsoft to correctly fix that. If that was BES you could apply the latest Exchange Service Pack. That might be possible here as well, applying the latest Exchange SP, even if you have it installed already, should update the files accordingly.

It also sounds like you ight have installed the ExchMAPICDO.exe from Microsoft on your BES. Is this Exchange 2007? If so, that's fine.

If not, install the Exchange System Management Tools on your BES from your Exchange CD and apply the latest service pack. That should get your versions to match.

I would look at correcting the Exchange side first. Rule out everything else but the BES first.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
MoGeN
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
A couple of my users are reporting that their contacts are not syncing up properly between device and exchange. Now, I know that CDO.dll is primarily for the calendar sync, but could a mis-matched version affect the contacts too?

I noticed today that our versions are different, seems the guy managing exchange updated without telling me and now the BES and exchange versions don't match.
I was managing a BES 3.6 install w/ Exchange 2000 and of the 80 users that we had only one was having issues with his blackberry calendar.

What would happen was that if he added an appointment onto his BB it would not wirelessly sync yet anything added to Outlook would appear.

After a call to T Support we found that the cdo.dll file was older ont he BES so we updated it, rebooted, and the issue was solved.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
wunderbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson_hg View Post
Yes, MAPI 1.0 on your Exchange is very bad. MAPI 1.0 is a client version, Outlook essentially and it doesn't usually handle server side requests well.

DO NOT copy and paste MAPI32.dll ever!!!!! It's a more than just a file, it's a subsystem. Copying/pasting and registering will not fix that issue. I would check some Exchange Forums or contact Microsoft to correctly fix that. If that was BES you could apply the latest Exchange Service Pack. That might be possible here as well, applying the latest Exchange SP, even if you have it installed already, should update the files accordingly.

It also sounds like you ight have installed the ExchMAPICDO.exe from Microsoft on your BES. Is this Exchange 2007? If so, that's fine.

If not, install the Exchange System Management Tools on your BES from your Exchange CD and apply the latest service pack. That should get your versions to match.

I would look at correcting the Exchange side first. Rule out everything else but the BES first.
Hmm, okay, that's not so good then. Now, we are running Exchange 2007 SP1, the SP was applied a few weeks ago. I'll pass this on to our exchange admin I guess so he can look into that a little more. should the 6.x.x.x version we are using on the BES be the version we should have on exchange? I'll tell our admin to get that loaded.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni

Last edited by wunderbar; 05-05-2008 at 10:42 AM..
Closed Thread