Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
snbd889
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120c
Carrier: AT&T
Default AT&T 8120 Pics mini review, and invisibleSHIELD install

Please Login to Remove!

So I purchased the pearl 8100 about two weeks ago, and then realized that the day before the 8120 was available on the primer site for business users, so I decided to return my pearl and go with the 8120 (wound up running me $200).

In all honesty, best decision I have made.

I had the 7130c for almost 2 years and had no problems with it at all, it was a GREAT PHONE. If anyone is looking to buy one, I have one in mint condition with a screen protector and rubber sleeve on it. Enough self promo, now off to the review..

(keep in mind that I am comparing the 8120 to the amazing 7130c)

Overall: Smaller phone by far, now has WiFi, and has a still and video camera
Pros: The camera is much better than the one on the 8100, and has the newest OS 4.3, which is a small step up from the old pearl OS. The Browser is now amazing, with the pearl moving a mouse instead of the ancient blue box that highlights things at random. The calander, e-mail, and text messages now have a more clean professional look to them. In summary, Small size, great features.
Cons: Will probably remain expensive for a long time (just like the first pearl did). Video camera is not that great. Personally feel like it is slower than my 7130 when navigating through menus. Speakerphone does not sound as good as 7130, but sounds much better than 8100 due to a second speaker being added (look under battery cover). Phone calls sound great like always from blackberry, although I liked the call quality a little bit better on my 7130 (but I think I can deal with it ). Overall, no major cons with this phone, it is great in many aspects, and may have small things that would bug some people, but honestly there will always be something.

I purchased the full body skin for this device from invisibleSHIELD (google their website, or put a .com after their name ) and honestly i am impressed already. Just installed about 5 hours ago, and then took the pictures which are now posted. They say that within 24 hours (after it sets up) many of the "imperfections" vanish, and within a few days it will essentially look flawless. I will post pictures tomorrow night after the 24 hour mark, and then in a few days and update this review (I found online it was hard to find a review of this product for the pearl, so I took the chance and just did it, but hopefully this will help new potential buyers). Right now: feel of the phone is more rubbery than plastic, and you really cant see it on there, unless you are looking for it an inch away from your face, and the "imperfections" have already vanished significantly since I installed it.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...9/DSC01687.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...9/DSC01690.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...9/DSC01689.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...9/DSC01688.jpg
Old 04-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
coldconfession13
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9550
PIN: 30fd8208
Carrier: Verizon

The pics would look better if there was more light or flash

http://www.blackberryfaq.com
Old 04-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
snbd889
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah i know i took them at night and had to use the light in the room. I will repost pics that look better later today (plus the invisibleSHIELD has set up nicley and looks 100% better than it did last night)
Old 04-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
bavism
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell
Default invisibleSHIELD

Does the phone still fit in the holster that comes with the phone?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
john_howells

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK

Have to say the 8120 (I had one on Orange) has soured me off completely to BlackBerry, interesting what you say about a difference in call quality. I had 3 replacements from Orange and I found that the call quality was terrible as there was noticable distortion in the speaker above volume 3 or 4 (it has 9 settings I think) so when your somewhere noisy, turning it up results in a very awkward conversation. Have now sent the phone back and looking at other alternatives but other than that I loved the phone. Do you find the same thing or I have I just been REALLY unlucky with a batch? Seemed kind of odd that call quality was the one thing that let it down for me?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
snbd889
Thumbs Must Hurt

bavism: yes it still fits into the holster. It kind of stuck at first because the texture of the skins is almost rubbery, but after using it in there for about 4-5 hours it seems to have loosened up and works just fine. I would imagine as the case stretches it will get much easier to ues.

john_howells: call quality sounds good to me. If you turn it all the way up you will get some distortion, as with any phone, but leaving it around half way seems to work just fine for me. All the way up though is very loud and still sounds better than many regular cellphones.

hope this helps

(new pictures soon)
Closed Thread