BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
jclark93

Model: 7250
Default Wireless door bell/motion detector etc... that notifyvia email?

Please Login to Remove!

I am deaf and I still have door bell that ring the sound (never had chance to install light system that will blink the light when door bell button is pressed) so I missed people "knocking" the door one too many times. Now that I have 7250 with Verizon cell tower about 1,000 feet away (meaning I would get 5 bars at most anywhere in the house), it would be neat if one press the door bell button, it can email to my 7250 to get my attention quickly. Is there any device available that can do that (i.e. X10 etc)?

I saw a wireless motion detector that can email when there is a motion detected so that would be good way to get my attention when someone is on way to the front door. One concern is I have 5 cats and 1 small dog (Mini-Pin, like a toy dog), it may be enough to trigger motion detect in that device?

Any other ideas/suggestions besides the above? Thanks

Jamie
Old 08-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
wuberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark93
I am deaf and I still have door bell that ring the sound (never had chance to install light system that will blink the light when door bell button is pressed) so I missed people "knocking" the door one too many times. Now that I have 7250 with Verizon cell tower about 1,000 feet away (meaning I would get 5 bars at most anywhere in the house), it would be neat if one press the door bell button, it can email to my 7250 to get my attention quickly. Is there any device available that can do that (i.e. X10 etc)?

I saw a wireless motion detector that can email when there is a motion detected so that would be good way to get my attention when someone is on way to the front door. One concern is I have 5 cats and 1 small dog (Mini-Pin, like a toy dog), it may be enough to trigger motion detect in that device?

Any other ideas/suggestions besides the above? Thanks

Jamie

While I have no financial interest in the company except as a very satisfied customer, please check out this Web site:

http://www.compuquestinc.com/

Their equipment is expensive, but it's virtually 100 percent reliable, and real, very knowledgeable, people are there for support if you should need it. I've dealt with them for roughly ten years or so.

You could probably just have the door bell button directly trigger one of their AlphaSense devices to send you an e-mail.

I'd give some consideration to the time delays involved. You might not get the e-mail until your visitor had given up and left.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #3
rcrivera03
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuberry
While I have no financial interest in the company except as a very satisfied customer, please check out this Web site:

http://www.compuquestinc.com/

Their equipment is expensive, but it's virtually 100 percent reliable, and real, very knowledgeable, people are there for support if you should need it. I've dealt with them for roughly ten years or so.

You could probably just have the door bell button directly trigger one of their AlphaSense devices to send you an e-mail.

I'd give some consideration to the time delays involved. You might not get the e-mail until your visitor had given up and left.
I have installed some of their (Compuquest) equipment in some homes and they work. But as stated above, having an email sent to your handheld is not really functional due to the time delays of the email. There is another alternative which I have not installed myself, but have seen it.

The same pager technology that is used in restaurants when you go out to eat is also available for home use. And the time delay is minimal at best. I will try to find more info on it and post it for you. Also some home security companies install these.