BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
rposeidon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Lightbulb Well I have learned my lesson...

Please Login to Remove!

... that's for sure. Let's see... I buy the 8700g before I could even get in at my local T-Mobile store (back in Jersey) and LOVED the phone! Kicked the snot out of my boss's Treo 650. I end up leaving T-Mobile after my move to South Carolina, where I get Sprint and get the A-900 Blade from Samsung. No big deal, just a phone to hold me over. Right before I move back to Kansas City, I purchase the 8100 from AT&T. The best phone I have ever had! Small, sexy, and the best part ever... the thing just works. All the time. So I love on my phone, take it to KC with me, and keep loving on my phone.
Ahhh, then the infamous iPhone commercials start appearing... and like a lost sheep, I start to lust. I don't really know why... am I that shallow?
I sell my beloved 8100 to a guy in Canada. Tell me THAT process wasn't hell, darn customs!
So I buy my iPhone. Sure, it has the sexiest UI I have EVER seen on a phone or computer ever. Sure, it's easy to use. But... the internet is the slowest I have ever had. The battery doesn't last. I have to use iTunes for everything. Can't use normal earphones. The much vaunted multi-touch screen has a tendency to just not register my fingers. Did I mention horrendous battery? Or the inability to charge said (not-replaceable) battery without using the iPod connector? This doesn't seem like it would be a big deal, just try it.
So after less than 2 months, I start shopping around. Ya, I see the 8310... but I wanted more!! I set my expensive sights on the Motorola Q9h Global. Sell the demon phone, and purchase the Q. I am so excited by the fact it comes with an extended battery AS WELL as a standard battery!!!! Lord knows you will need it, what with the horrible proprietary Micro USB connector Motorola decided to use!! And with 3G sucking up ALL power so at the end of my day (around 7pm) I am running dead (on extended battery!). I love my phone! Sure, Windows Mobile bogs down. Sure it is slow! My phone is awesome! Ya, my girlfriend can't talk to me on it because it is always cutting out, and we can't send each other pictures because MMS only works 10% of the time, but I just adore it.
Finally, I begin to see the light and remember my two favorite phones...
After a combined time of 10 hours on with tech support, and MMS STILL not working, I trot back to my local AT&T store, and swap my Q out for the Titanium 8310. And guess what? It. Just. Works. Sure it doesn't have 3G... my battery lasts a long time! Sure the keys are a tad harder to type on than the Q (and other BlackBerry's for that matter)..., and sure it doesn't have the form-a-tent UI the iPhone has... but it just works. My beloved girlfriend doesn't complain anymore about me cutting out!
So people, if you ever find yourself thinking "hey, there is something better out there! I am going to find it!" stop yourself. I have tried. There is NOTHING better out there!! You know what they say... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

gonna move this to rants and raves forum. great post though, glad you found the right device for you
Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

haha, really good post and we welcome all prodigals back... so welcome back!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Welcome Back

sory you had to learn the hard way
Old 02-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
cmguerra77
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: TS of Guinness

Glad you're back
Old 02-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A

wow, you must have spent some cash on these devices and it sounds like you had more than one contract since you were using different companies!

good & funny post.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A

I really don't see the need to buy EVERY new phone that comes out?!?! You mentioned you "loved" a few of the phones, then why the hell didn't you stick with them. It's like any new technology, if someone wants to be "on the cutting edge", be prepared for the expense and it's possible downfall.

Here's a clue...STICK WITH THE Blackberry. It's all the phone ANYONE needs!!

You wouldn't by any chance bought a HD-DVD player....would you??
Old 02-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
rposeidon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

haha, I wasn't concerned with the cost, I have the money. I was surprised the stuff just didn't work!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
cwosigns
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9300

I had an 8830 with Verizon, and got an iPhone. Loved the iPhone for a while, but then the Yahoo push email stopped pushing and Apple blamed Yahoo; Yahoo blamed Apple. Blah blah blah. I had hung onto my 8830 all along because I couldn't quite give up the reliability, but I really wanted a camera. So I termed the 8830 contract, and went to at&t expecting to pay full price ($399) for the Curve. Well since the iPhone isn't subsidized, I was able to buy the red Curve for $249! So now I can pop my SIM into the iPhone when I want to use that, but also have the rock-solid reliable email of BlackBerry when I need it for work.

I've never been completely satisfied with one phone so I've resigned myself to switching back and forth between two.
Columbus, Ohio
Closed Thread