Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Researching an item before Purchase

Please Login to Remove!

Why is it that so many people have no clue whatsoever in what they are purchasing? you would think that no matter what you are buying, you would at least have some idea of what you would want the object to do. I wouldnt purchase an Ananlog TV and expect it to be able to play HD broadcasts. I may be way off base here, but it seems that more and more people are purchasing things based on looks and THEN finding out whatever they bought doesnt do what they want. Am I alone in this? Does anyone else here research purchases before they actually spend money?

This doesnt have to relate to any particular item, more of a general observation from many years in sales, sales management, sales training, etc. I am also going to move my own post from OT to R/R

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 02-18-2008 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: added poll
Old 02-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Always amazes me.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Sci-Tek
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8000
Carrier: TDC

Doing research before buying is always a great idea, however many don't know that they can do it and just go to the store and buy the first and best thing that looks like what they want.

Products not meeings demands is a common issue..

When I buy new things like TV I kinda go off the price, if its cheap its gotta be a reason behind it. If its to expensive I would look at the possibility to check other places for the same TV.

For computers its a bit different, I've worked for HP for 3 years so I try to contact my old colleagues and ask if they've had many issues with that laptop. (I don't have the room for a desktop computer at home).

But my view is that a lot of sales rep are not to be trusted, it seems like they want to get rid of old products and sell them to good thinking old people.. :p
A good example for that is: WLAN access points

Sci-Tek

Only dead fish follow the stream
Old 02-18-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Trouble is that even if you do research you can still find that what you buy is not what you thought it was due to "fuzziness" of information. Prime example is the GPS function on Verizon 8830. (No flames please.)

Real question is where can you get acurate information on various items. I read Consumer Reports and figure that they are about 85% trustworthy. I also check on other sources but at some point who do you believe?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
Trouble is that even if you do research you can still find that what you buy is not what you thought it was due to "fuzziness" of information. Prime example is the GPS function on Verizon 8830. (No flames please.)

Real question is where can you get accurate information on various items. I read Consumer Reports and figure that they are about 85% trustworthy. I also check on other sources but at some point who do you believe?
TBolt I wont flame but the is a ridiculous statement.

The information is clear on the carriers site. Its when you look at information from aftermarket sellers that get you in trouble or you listen to a sales person who has worked for the company for 2 weeks after loosing their job as a fry cook at McDonald's.

And to the person who says they didnt know they can research that has to be the most silly response I have ever seen. How can people not know they can research an item with the web so easily available thats just silly.

I switched to Verizon last year. With about 10 clicks of the mouse I found out VZW crippled the GPS that didnt bother me as I already have GPS in my vehicles. And dont come back with they dont know where to look google serves up some very quality research about Verizon from the consumers point of view.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

I do the research regarding "does this thing do what I want it to?". Where it gets fuzzy is when you ask "Does it do it well?".

Sadly, I think Sith is right-a lot of people buy on impulse, without thinkng about functionality. A good salesperson will attempt to educate, but often if the consumer's mind is set on something they saw on TV, that education is in vain.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

I do research for days before buying an item. Drives my wife crazy. A recent purchase was a Garmin Nuvi 660. I knew that device like the back of my hand before I even received it. I like doing the research part of it.

On the other hand, I have been known for the occassional impulse buy. The last one of those was a Philips 42" LCD flat panel. It was one of those 'last in stock' items. The Best Buy guy said 'Give it to you for one kilobuck'. I said 'Sold'. Got lucky there, since it's very nice.

You'll notice that I do carry an 8830. Mandatory with my company. If not, I'd have an 8820.

Last edited by mriff; 02-18-2008 at 08:37 AM..
Old 02-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Days? Shoot took me 5 months to buy my last car! I research then ask actual users of item I am looking to get. Then hit up the internet and forums for that product. I am never in such a hurry to get something that I can't research first
Old 02-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Days? Shoot took me 5 months to buy my last car! I research then ask actual users of item I am looking to get. Then hit up the internet and forums for that product. I am never in such a hurry to get something that I can't research first
Thats me my wife says I am OCD about research. I just have to know everything prior to purchasing.

I jumped into my first marriage with out research and I got burned so I will never make a commitment again with out knowing an item inside and out. I am the same way with People I meet.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

i do the same thing, I've been looking to buy a new laptop for about 3 weeks now. Everything I buy over about $100 I do all the research I can, everything from cables on TVs to Cars as Ez said. Cannot imagine not doing the research.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #11
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Thats me my wife says I am OCD about research. I just have to know everything prior to purchasing.

I jumped into my first marriage with out research and I got burned so I will never make a commitment again with out knowing an item inside and out. I am the same way with People I meet.
Man, that is pretty much the ultimate "buyer's remorse". I don't blame ya.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
Demon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 304fcd63

I have friends/family that say I blow my money and buy whatever I want impulsively . What they don't know is that everything I buy is thoroughly researched before I buy it in terms of features and price (not just on phones, but large purchases in general). I don't understand the people that buy random things and then complain that they don't do what they want it to or that they paid too much for it. If these people take even just 10 minutes they can find the information to make an informed decision on a purchase. I would much rather read threads on here about a person asking questions prior to buying a Blackberry, than threads complaining that their Blackberry doesn't do what they want it to.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
I would much rather read threads on here about a person asking questions prior to buying a Blackberry, than threads complaining that their Blackberry doesn't do what they want it to.
AMEN.....
Old 02-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #14
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

unfortunately we seem to sometimes have more comaplaints than anything else. Its also funny that noone has marked they buy based on looks, but many products are designed simply based on the way they look rather than functionality.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
RelicAte

Model: Z10
Carrier: Telus

Ha ha. Case in point. I just hope that most "average joes" are following (or at least are aware of) the format war between HD-DVD and BluRay. I'd hate to have walked into an electronics store recently and bought an HD-DVD player on impulse because the price of said equipment was that much cheaper than a BluRay player. RIP HD-DVD!

If this doesn't make a case for researching and understanding what you're buying, then I don't know what does.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice
unfortunately we seem to sometimes have more comaplaints than anything else. Its also funny that noone has marked they buy based on looks, but many products are designed simply based on the way they look rather than functionality.
Why would we check based on looks!

We are smart intelligent BB using men!

Now if we were women we would check looks! *razz* just kiddin ladies
Old 02-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #17
MtnBikerChk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
[SIZE=1]

Now if we were women we would check looks! *razz* just kiddin ladies
NICE

in my house, I'm the research NAZI. My husband is the impluse buyer.

research?
gps - yep
hd tv - yep
BB - yep

I do so much research and asking and checking that I drive everyone nuts. But they love me!

oh and I'm a gadget freak
Old 02-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #18
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Oh, yeah. I do a lot of research before making any big purchase. I spent about 3 months researching desktop PCs before I bought my last one. By then I knew exactly what I wanted and waited for it to be sale and got a killer deal. I researched the BBs quite a lot before buying one as well.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 AM   #19
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys

I only research jewelry and handbags. my last few big purchases were made:

because he was cute (my dog)
because it matches my phone (camera)
because I have mental issues (curve)
because its so pretty and small (laptop)

so far so good though, sites like this help a person like me who gets the new toy home and is then like ok now what.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

its hard to say, take a digital camera, it can be great but poor to hold, or just to small, you might sacrifice some things for comfort etc, its actually iffy, and what about when the thing you want, go to the store, and it turns out its sold out but they have a lesser model, do you get that? you are already their.

or you want something but it bigger/better is just a few bucks more and then question arise how to do some things.

i think most people research in what they want, but not everything about what they are getting. i know i dont.

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 02-20-2008 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: edited out profanity
Closed Thread