BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
GadgetGuru72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Need advice re: selecting a new bluetooth headset.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone-

I currently own the Sony Ericsson HBH-662 bluetooth headset:

Amazon.com: SONYERICSSON Bluetooth Headset HBH-662: Cell Phones & Service

It did a pretty good job. Sounds were clear. Listeners didn't report an echo. What I liked most about it was the LCD display. The fact that a caller's telephone number would display in the LCD was fairly useless, because if the device is on my ear I'm not going to remove it just to look at the LCD. However, what I did like about the LCD was the battery life indicator. It was good to know how much juice was left in the battery and whether or not I needed to recharge it.

Well, it looks like it's time to replace it because the battery no longer seems to hold a charge. I can charge it overnight, and if I use the thing the next morning for 10 minutes the battery is almost dead.

Although I like the LCD battery indicator, I would be willing to consider a new device without an LCD. What I care most about is call clarity and noise reduction. I don't want my listeners to have to deal with the echo that is produced by many of these devices. Next in line in terms of priority is comfort. I don't like the big, bulky devices. It needs to be slim and easy to wear, because I wear it frequently. Appearance of the actual device is also important.

Finally, price is also somewhat important. I'm not willing to sacrifice performance for cost, meaning that I'm not going to try to save money and buy an inferior device. That having been said, I'm also not interested in spending a ton of money if a device of similar or equal quality can be had for less money.

With all of that in mind, what do you all recommend?

Please don't just say "Bluetooth Headset X is the best." Instead, is possible, please tell me why you think that headset is the best.

Thanks in advance for your help. It's been a couple years since I've bought one of these, and I haven't stayed current on what the best "new" device is.

Last edited by GadgetGuru72; 01-18-2008 at 12:29 PM..
Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I like my Jawbone. It is GREAT for in car use with complete noise reduction. My other end calls tell me they can't hear anything other than me even if my window is down or the radio is playing (within reason).
I noticed they are at $74 today at ecost.com
Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I like my Jawbone. It is GREAT for in car use with complete noise reduction. My other end calls tell me they can't hear anything other than me even if my window is down or the radio is playing (within reason).
I noticed they are at $74 today at ecost.com
How heavy is it? When you're walking around with it on, how noticeable is it that you're wearing it?

Also, since there is no LCD, is there any indication when the battery is low, or do you just have to guess?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

It is not heavy at all.

Noticeable yes, aren't they all? There is not LCD, you get a warning tone about 10 minutes before battery end.

Now, the BlueAnt product I have seen is much smaller, but I have not personal experience with it.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
GadgetGuru72

Ok, thanks.

I noticed on the Jawbone website it says that it's CNET's highest rated bluetooth device. I'll have to check it out

Anybody have any other recommendations I should look at?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
pr4424
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

I have a jawbone and I can't get it to stay in my ear correctly. It is always flopping around (even with the Jabra Eargels)...but the sound quality is great. Much better than my Plantronics Voyager 510.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Number13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t
Default Looks at Nextlink

$74.00 for a Jawbone is excellent. Great price. Also look at the Nextlink Invisio G5 if you are looking for smallest, lightest, etc. I had a Nextlink AX and the sound quality was excellent, the soft spring keeps it in place and as far as bluetooth headsets go it is very discreet. Only problem was the rechargeable battery gave out after less than two years and you just cannot find that battery anywhere.

INVISIO® G5 - Nextlink
Old 01-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
DyMndSkiR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22F1E255

I have a Jawbone and I really like it, sans the similar problems others have with keeping it in your ear. Sometimes I can get it to fit nice and tight and it is fine, other times I can't get it to stay in my ear for the life of me.

Sound quality is great, however, and I have never had one complaint from anybody about not being able to be heard or anything else. I drive in a pickup truck off-road a lot of the time and nobody is any wiser to the typical bumping around noise.

One solution I've considered, and only hesitated on because of the price, is one of the custom eargels you can get with a mold of your ear. I forget the site, but I think a search here could produce you a link. They weren't cheap, but were guaranteed to fit perfectly and could be made for anything going into your ear.
Closed Thread