Old 12-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon (Alltel)
Default 8130 Spare Battery Issue

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone had or heard of this problem:

I bought a spare battery for my new Alltel 8130 through the Crackberry.com store. I charged it up in my Seidio charger, then put it in my 8130. I got the dreaded battery with a red line through it. Ok, I thought, maybe I got a bad one.

So I contacted the Crackberry store people and they did an exchange with me for another battery. Very smooth process, by the way. Anyway, I got my replacement today, put it in the phone and again got the dreaded battery with a line through it.

Both batteries I got were the OEM C-M2 which is the battery that is supposed to be compatible with the 8130. The only difference I noticed between the battery that came with the phone and the batteries send by the Crackberry store was color - the battery that came with the phone was a more vibrant orange color.

Anyway, has anyone experienced anything like this before? I finally just went to Alltel to get a spare battery through them. Of course, I had to pay THREE TIMES what the Crackberry store was charging, but I needed a battery that would work.

Thoughts, anyone??

Last edited by livspop; 12-19-2007 at 07:05 PM..
Old 12-20-2007, 02:34 AM   #2
Hoppyjr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I hate to say it, but you may well have a counterfeit battery.

I purchased two OEM from Verizon and then two OEM from a reliable dealer that I have used before. The two from the aftermarket dealer were a slightly different orange color but the markings appeared to match - EXCEPT when I looked closely, I noticed differences in the printing. The two "aftermarket-sourced" OEM batteries were a much tighter fit in the device and gave the same "red-line" which indicates they are not matched to the device. I returned those promptly. It seems to be a China-related counterfeit problem, which used to be mostly Motorola batteries but has expanded to Blackberry ones too. If you Google it, you should find some more info.

Good luck.

Hoppy
Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
leibdav1

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I had the same problem. I ordered two batteries and a battery charger from Wirelessground.com and had the same image show up on my screen. I then decided to inspect both of my new batteries a little more closely. If you feel the yellow cover on the batteries, you'll notice that on the battery that came with your device, there is more of a textured feel, and on the batteries that I just had received, they felt smooth.

Needless to say, I sent them back and ordered batteries directly from RIM. In the end, even though the batteries from RIM were much more expensive, they were real BB batteries, rather than what I had tried to purchase the first time. I can definitely say that it was worth it to spend double the price to make sure that I had properly working batteries.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

That all makes sense. The thing that surprises me is that I got them through a pretty reputable online store (Crackberry.com but it's really TreoCentral.com). And when I called, they claimed that I was the first person to report any sort of incompatability.

Oh, well.....
Old 12-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
redhandeddenial
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vzw

that red line stuff is odd, my wife has a demo line with vzw and her battery has the red line
Old 12-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
ROBERTDAWG014

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

my blackberry came with the red line too and my girlfriends came with a bunch of red x's but i remember this topic before and thats not the water mark they check. there is a white sticker near the micro sd latch. thats the one they check. i just figure there all like that
Old 12-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTDAWG014 View Post
my blackberry came with the red line too and my girlfriends came with a bunch of red x's but i remember this topic before and thats not the water mark they check. there is a white sticker near the micro sd latch. thats the one they check. i just figure there all like that
Somehow this thread has gotten confused and wandered off what my original question was. I am not talking about the markings on the bottom of the battery.

On BlackBerries, when a bad battery or a corrupted battery is placed in a phone, a screen appears that shows a better with a red line through it, in effect saying "this battery is bad or not compatable with this phone." It's like the "No Smoking" sign, ya know, red line through a cigarette....

Anyway, my question was why this would be happening when I bought an OEM C-M2 battery, which is THE battery for the 8130.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: Blue, Ball point
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by livspop View Post
Somehow this thread has gotten confused and wandered off what my original question was. I am not talking about the markings on the bottom of the battery.

On BlackBerries, when a bad battery or a corrupted battery is placed in a phone, a screen appears that shows a better with a red line through it, in effect saying "this battery is bad or not compatible with this phone." It's like the "No Smoking" sign, ya know, red line through a cigarette....

Anyway, my question was why this would be happening when I bought an OEM C-M2 battery, which is THE battery for the 8130.
Yes, I think everyone is confusing the tiny red line on the water indicator that is physically located on the end of the battery. Someone also mentioned red X's. If you have a line or an X, this means no water damage has occurred to the battery, and is completely NORMAL.

However, this post is not about that red line, but one that shows up on the screen after installation.

So, please...everyone can stop pulling out their batteries to see if they have been duped in some way...
Old 01-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
edstewbob

Model: 8100
Carrier: Verizon

I had the same problem with 2 batteries. My 1st battery was not a RIM battery, my 2nd battery was a CM-2 and they both had the same problem you describe. I got a 3rd one from eBay that was a CM-2 and it works fine. Not sure what to think of this but glad I finally got a good one.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
K9kazoo

Model: 9530
Carrier: Telus
Thumbs down

I had the same problem with WirelessGround and the battery I bought. Brought this to their attention and was told me "As it is an OEM product you will need to contact BlackBerry directly for any tech issues or warranty exchanges. Their number is: 800-327-9085." & "All OEM products must be handled by the Original Manufacters. In this case that is BlackBerry. It is both our and their policy on the matter."

Thanks for the help! I won't be visiting them again and I won't recommend them to others.

B.
Closed Thread