Old 12-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #61
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
It's a bit annoying to enter user and password everytime I reset the bb with v1.5.1

Best,
Jaime
Try quitting and restarting GMAIL (via menu, not via Back button which just minimizes it), this forces it to save the settings. I think it's just a bug at the moment.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 12-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #62
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
BTW one feature that's so small but makes a huge difference in 1.5.1 -- they added spacebar scrolling down in an email! That was the most frustrating thing about 1.1.0, it made scrolling through large stuff a real pain.
Hitting "T" and "B" works -- going to the top and bottom of a large conversation is nice.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 12-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #63
nissmo66
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Do you need a BIS, to use the push IMAP service?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #64
smallville20
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Those of you using the new version... are you exporting your contacts to Outlook (or something similar) and syncing with your device? I really like that Gmail added contacts to this version... but without the work of adding them to your address book, is it even worth it? I like to know who is calling me and not have to guess all the time.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #65
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville20 View Post
Those of you using the new version... are you exporting your contacts to Outlook (or something similar) and syncing with your device? I really like that Gmail added contacts to this version... but without the work of adding them to your address book, is it even worth it? I like to know who is calling me and not have to guess all the time.
It's as ugly as you think, I do double bookkeeping with my Contacts. The GMail really only is email (not phone/address/etc.), so every new address I get I save it in two places to cover all the bases for use. Once I did the initial grunt work of getting it all set up, keeping up with it is actually pretty simple.... but it would be nice to get them combined.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:16 PM   #66
krash106

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Elisa Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepBB View Post
You can open the .jad file (OTA installer) you have downloaded with any text editor. In there, you will find the names of the .cod files as follows (Gmail app; in this case there are 3 files):

RIM-COD-URL-0: gm_42_L1.cod
RIM-COD-Size-0: 95264
RIM-COD-URL-1: gm_42_L1-1.cod
RIM-COD-Size-1: 91736
RIM-COD-URL-2: gm_42_L1-2.cod
RIM-COD-Size-2: 63556

To find out the actual URLs of those files you can use the URL of the .jad file which is:
http://www.gmail.com/app/v1.5.1/L1/gm-BlackBerry-42.jad

The .cod files are in the same path, so the URLs are:

http://www.gmail.com/app/v1.5.1/L1/gm_42_L1.cod
http://www.gmail.com/app/v1.5.1/L1/gm_42_L1-1.cod
http://www.gmail.com/app/v1.5.1/L1/gm_42_L1-2.cod

Download these files to a folder and you are ready to go. The ALX I created looks like this (to be saved in the same folder as the .cod files):

Code:
<loader version="1.0"> 
<application id="Gmail"> 
<name>Google Mail</name> 
<description>mobile gmail app</description> 
<version>1.5.1</version> 
<vendor>Google</vendor> 
<copyright>Copyright (c) 2007 Google</copyright> 
<fileset Java="1.0"> 
<files>
gm_42_L1-2.cod
gm_42_L1-1.cod
gm_42_L1.cod
</files>
</fileset> 
</application> 
</loader>
I hope this helps .

P.S.: Having no BIS / BES myself, I installed Gmail (among a whole bunch of other OTA-only applications) in the way described here, so I can tell for sure this will work if done correctly. I don't post the actual installer package here because I feel Google would not be happy about it.
Hi I just got my first blackberry (8700g) and here in finland we an get blackberry plans so im very interested in using the gmail program on my blackberry. Is there any easier way to get it onto the device as im not so good with computers and just cant understand your instructions.

thanks for any advice!!
Old 12-15-2007, 06:30 AM   #67
sheepBB

Model: 8700
Carrier: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash106 View Post
Hi I just got my first blackberry (8700g) and here in finland we an get blackberry plans so im very interested in using the gmail program on my blackberry. Is there any easier way to get it onto the device as im not so good with computers and just cant understand your instructions.

thanks for any advice!!
You've got a private message.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #68
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

finally decided to try out the newest gmail mobile app since it supports alerts now... a couple minutes into playing with it, i had already experienced 3 errors so i deleted it.... the main issue seemed to happen when composing a new email... as soon as i start typing an address, it crashes with the attached exception... i'm guessing that it has something to do with automatically trying to display matches from my contacts list... i tried this 3 times and it crashed 2 of those times.

i also received another exception (2nd attachment below) when trying to send the email once i composed it.

i'll probably give it another shot when they release the next version, as some of the features seemed pretty nice to have, especially the conversation grouping that makes gmail so much nicer than any other web based email system.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbscreen[4].jpg (57.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg bbscreen[3].jpg (54.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #69
el_lasso

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell
Default is there a way to bypass enterprise policy?

I think our corporate network is blocking the download. I had it installed before but after enterprise activation it didn't work anymore so i deleted the application. Anyway, does anybody knows a way to bypass corporate policy so i can get gmail app to work on my BB?

Oh and by the way, through the BB browser i can access gmail at gmail.com and check my personnal emails, but not as fast and easy as with gmail app.

Thanks

Last edited by el_lasso; 12-28-2007 at 05:18 PM..
Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #70
telrod11
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular
Default Thanks Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
Try quitting and restarting GMAIL (via menu, not via Back button which just minimizes it), this forces it to save the settings. I think it's just a bug at the moment.
Nice find. This was driving me crazy, as I reset 1X a day, and it was a pain to sign in again.....

Thanks!!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #71
eckchan

I have a 8100 with no BIS/BES plan so the method of using the firefox user agent tool is great. However, after installing gmail 1.5.1, I noticed that every time I used the application loader, it says that gmail needs to be updated because the second and third cod files (-1 and -2) are not installed. Only the first cod file (with no dash) was installed. My alx has the other two cod files listed and on the bb in the application list, I can see the cod files listed under library.

Is this normal? Or could this be causing my gmail to be stuck at "0kb loading" when trying to show my inbox?

Maybe sheepbb can shed some light on the matter?

Ed
Old 01-08-2008, 04:23 AM   #72
ej25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

cant save attachments. theres no option to save a pic. it just says "Back"

also i dont get an alert for new mail after setting things up in Profiles. i have to refresh the page to get new mail. am i supposed to set things up in email wizard again?

Last edited by ej25; 01-08-2008 at 04:50 AM..
Old 01-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #73
hotburnttoast
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: Unique 8-character hexadecimal ID number assigned to all BlackBerrys
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have BIS where my gmail pushed, Why would I want to use this program?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #74
sabrewulf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotburnttoast View Post
I have BIS where my gmail pushed, Why would I want to use this program?
As do I.. But I still have this app just in case I do need to get access to old emails not stored on my BlackBerry device.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #75
BobMarley
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile

Nevermind...
Motorola TimePort: 98 - 02
Motorola Microtac: 92 - 98

Last edited by BobMarley; 01-14-2008 at 01:30 PM..
Old 01-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #76
joeycuccaro

for anyone using this application. I have the gmail application setup on my phone, will it automatically go out and pick up new messages that come in and notify me via flashing light + vibe just like a text message? How long does it take to fish it from the web?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #77
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycuccaro View Post
for anyone using this application. I have the gmail application setup on my phone, will it automatically go out and pick up new messages that come in and notify me via flashing light + vibe just like a text message? How long does it take to fish it from the web?
yes it will... but the application has to be running in the background. from my experience, when i reset my phone, the gmail app does not start up automatically. once it's running in the background, it will alert you whenever you receive new messages. It's not immediate like having gmail set up like a POP account in BIS, but it doesn't lag too bad.

btw - I only keep this app on my device for searching old emails. I read and reply to my gmail messages through the built-in messages app (+ Empower).

Last edited by ronx; 01-17-2008 at 10:03 AM..
Old 01-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #78
joeycuccaro

thanks man it does refresh it just lags a bit. Only complaint i have is the LED flashes for like 10 min even though i have opened my new messages. Had to take the notification off until google fixes this little bug
Old 01-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #79
gameboy213
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

I am using this app now for a second gmail address that is just for online stuff, nothing important really, but I noticed that it does not check email and notify of a new one by itself. I have it running in background and set to notify of new mail, but it doesn't do this. I have to open the app and hit refresh.... kinda pointless.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #80
hatkins

Carrier: VZW

I am on BES with no BBbrowser, only Opera 4. Using this guide I now have the Gmail app running (thanks very much).
Can this same method be used for Google Maps?
I grabbed the .jad and .jar files using the user agent extension in Firefox but I cannot create the .alx file because the .jad does not point to any .cod files.

I am pretty new to the BB experience so I hope that make sense.

Any ideas how to make this work?

Thanks!

I just found the .alx file on google. Also found a couple of BES packages but I cannot install. When I click on the .alx from the DM I get an error saying "no additional applications for your device were found".

Any ideas how to make this work?

Last edited by hatkins; 01-17-2008 at 03:25 PM..
Closed Thread