BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
mgmblackberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default 8GB MicroSD on VZW 8130 Media Player Limitations?

Please Login to Remove!

I have not seen this issue discussed. I purchased the 8130 and an 8GB card. The full capacity of the blank card is available to the device. I loaded approximately 1800 songs, all mp3, all 128 kbps, in the music folder vis-a-vis a USB adapter. Afterward, the device shows the correct amount of memory used/available and there is no indication of any problems.

The BB media player will not list all of the tracks, however. I would estimate it reads one-half to two-thirds and then just ignores the rest. The FlipSide software recognizes and plays each and every song on the card (including those not read by the BB media player).

I am thinking that there is a number of tracks limitation in the BB media player. Has anyone seen this issue? If not, I would appreciate any suggestions or troubleshooting advice you may have. Thank you.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
TylerBoneZJoneZ
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: INK
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

This may sound stupid of me to say this but does the blackberry pearl 8130 support .wav? If not, some of your songs may possibly be .wav?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmblackberry View Post
I have not seen this issue discussed. I purchased the 8130 and an 8GB card. The full capacity of the blank card is available to the device. I loaded approximately 1800 songs, all mp3, all 128 kbps, in the music folder vis-a-vis a USB adapter. Afterward, the device shows the correct amount of memory used/available and there is no indication of any problems.

The BB media player will not list all of the tracks, however. I would estimate it reads one-half to two-thirds and then just ignores the rest. The FlipSide software recognizes and plays each and every song on the card (including those not read by the BB media player).

I am thinking that there is a number of tracks limitation in the BB media player. Has anyone seen this issue? If not, I would appreciate any suggestions or troubleshooting advice you may have. Thank you.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

In his post he says they're all mp3.

I've not heard of a limitation. I have noticed that it takes the oem media player quite some time to actually list out all ths songs. Perhaps it's just not done sorting through them all.

And, actually, you've answered a question that's been on the minds of members here. The question being will the 8Gb cards work with OS 4.3. It looks they will, at least on the Pearl 2. Good to know. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
richpjr

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A

I picked up a 6 gig card and experienced the same thing. It took a LONG time for the built in player to recognize all of the files. I thought there was something wrong when I first noticed it too.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Yeah, I even noticed it with my 4Gb card in my 8320. Double the files would take twice as long!
Old 11-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Yeah, I even noticed it with my 4Gb card in my 8320. Double the files would take twice as long!
Can you guys w/the 6 and 8 GB cards specify what you mean by "a long time" please?

10, 20, 30 or more seconds?

Also, to avoid this issue, can you load the media player, let it list the songs, and then just leave it open all the time in the background?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

My 4Gb card took a full minute or two, at least, to load all the songs.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
mgmblackberry

Thank you all for the responses. I agree that it takes quite a while for the player to recognize all of the songs. I experienced that with the 4GB card. I have had the 8GB card in for about 12 hours now, and there are definitely no more songs being recognized. The files are all mp3, no protected files accidentally mixed in, etc.

I will report back if there is any change. In the meantime, if anyone hears or sees anything further on this issue, please post. I may try using the BB media manager to load the songs and see if that makes a difference (I simply dropped the files in through Finder, as in the past with the 4GB card). I doubt that will make a difference, but it is worth a shot! Thank you all very much.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
My 4Gb card took a full minute or two, at least, to load all the songs.
Disappointing...that's pretty much a deal-breaker for regular use for me.

My "ancient" e815 reads a 1GB card full of songs in about 5s...extrapolating I'd hope it would be closer to 30s to max of 40s, (assuming there is some general overhead in there for any card read).

Flipside sounds like it might be the way to go for this, assuming it's faster.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
mgmblackberry

Just to be clear, the long read time, in my experience, is ONLY on the first read. It appears that the BB places .bat files in each folder where the music is located. Let me clarify that my music is stored in artist folders, and then in album sub-folders. I just do not want non-BB users to think that it takes long to load songs/artists/albums AFTER the first read by the device. That is not the case - the subsequent loads are quick.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:25 AM   #11
richpjr

It took about 15 minutes for all the songs on my 6 gig card to show up. After that, everything was fine. My files are unprotected ACC files.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:17 AM   #12
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Just to be clear, the long read time, in my experience, is ONLY on the first read. It appears that the BB places .bat files in each folder where the music is located. Let me clarify that my music is stored in artist folders, and then in album sub-folders. I just do not want non-BB users to think that it takes long to load songs/artists/albums AFTER the first read by the device. That is not the case - the subsequent loads are quick.
Thanks...that's good to hear. Sounded out of kilter, but a one-time "vacuum" is reasonable. I assume you do an update if you add new music to your card.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:57 AM   #13
mgmblackberry

By way of update, I loaded all 1839 files in the music folder with no additional subfolders. The results were the same - approximately 2/3s of the files were read and indexed, but the balance were ignored. Second, went back to the Artist/Album approach. I took 1/3 of the files and loaded them in the BB. Each file was read in the first 1/3 load. I copied those files back to my computer (which now had a .bat file in each album folder). I repeated with the second-third and third-third with the same results (i.e., the device successfully read the 2.3MB of files each time). I then loaded back onto the 8GB card each of the BB-modified artist/album folders and put the card back in the device. AGAIN, the BB recognized only approximately 2/3rds of the music files.

I feel like I have tested this enough at this point to say that there must be some sort of file number cap or size limit on the file created by the BB that remembers the library (that remembers the initial read).

This is quite disappointing, as I actually quite like the BB media player because it is so basic and I can access it from must menus throughout the device. Hopefully this limit will be addressed soon. Actually, hopefully there is just something screwy that I am doing that someone can point out to me.

Anyway, thank you to everyone that read, considered this problem and/or posted.

Last edited by mgmblackberry; 11-11-2007 at 07:59 AM..
Old 11-12-2007, 12:52 AM   #14
Kyos

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

This sucks. Hope its just your device.
Good luck.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #15
djxedxd

PIN: bic,no ball point,wait its blue

Has anyone used the Dollars5 Media player? Just curious all the players I've tried read my 2gb card no prob filled to the max .But thats not the case here .You guys are talkin quite a bit more music then a 2 gb card will hold.lol
Old 11-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #16
mbarrett34

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular

I've been having the same problem with my 4GB card and it's driving me crazy. I noticed that if I click on the Media player, then hit the menu button (left of the trackball) and Explore, all songs are displayed and playable, and I can play using the Shuffle function.

BUT - if I actually go into the menus for the Media player (to choose Artists, Albums, etc.), LOTS of songs are missing. Even stranger, some songs that did appear there at one time then disappeared. Loaded the new Radiohead album, 10 songs, listened to it a couple times, then all of a sudden only 3 of the 10 songs are there - although all 10 still show up thru the Explore function.

Really sucks, because I would love to ditch the Ipod permanently in favor of BB. But to really do that also would need to be able to use playlists!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #17
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
By way of update, I loaded all 1839 files in the music folder with no additional subfolders. The results were the same - approximately 2/3s of the files were read and indexed, but the balance were ignored. Second, went back to the Artist/Album approach. I took 1/3 of the files and loaded them in the BB. Each file was read in the first 1/3 load. I copied those files back to my computer (which now had a .bat file in each album folder). I repeated with the second-third and third-third with the same results (i.e., the device successfully read the 2.3MB of files each time). I then loaded back onto the 8GB card each of the BB-modified artist/album folders and put the card back in the device. AGAIN, the BB recognized only approximately 2/3rds of the music files.

I feel like I have tested this enough at this point to say that there must be some sort of file number cap or size limit on the file created by the BB that remembers the library (that remembers the initial read).

This is quite disappointing, as I actually quite like the BB media player because it is so basic and I can access it from must menus throughout the device. Hopefully this limit will be addressed soon. Actually, hopefully there is just something screwy that I am doing that someone can point out to me.

Anyway, thank you to everyone that read, considered this problem and/or posted.
Be very interesting to see if you get the same limitation using the Flipside player...care to try it and see that player sees all your files?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #18
mgmblackberry

FlipSide sees each and every file. Flawless. HOWEVER, after I loaded about 100-110 album covers the device SUBSTANTIALLY slowed down and eventually crapped out (taking my text messages with it). My guess is that each album cover is loaded in memory and it just takes too much of the resources for the BB to handle. In any event, without the album covers FlipSide handles all of the media just fine and there is no noticeable slow down of the device.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #19
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
FlipSide sees each and every file. Flawless. HOWEVER, after I loaded about 100-110 album covers the device SUBSTANTIALLY slowed down and eventually crapped out (taking my text messages with it). My guess is that each album cover is loaded in memory and it just takes too much of the resources for the BB to handle. In any event, without the album covers FlipSide handles all of the media just fine and there is no noticeable slow down of the device.
Thanks...so at least I'll have an option...I have an 8GB card on order and when I get my Pearl intend to load a lot of music on it.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #20
thedove

Carrier: verizon
Default trying it now

i put about 4 gigs in one folder "Rap" on the 8 gig card through mass storage from windows vista machine.

It took about an hour. then after that it wouldnt play a song and ket saying the media processor is working right now.

So im loading another folder "techno" now in about 30 mins i will look to see what its doing. I wish it would just show me where it is in the process.

Maybe someone knows ive had the phone for two days have not looked into that yet
Closed Thread