Old 11-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #21
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
Issues with Bluetooth and UMA have been confirmed but so far it does not seem to be happening to everyone. The only conclusion I can make is that it is only certain Bluetooth devices which do not work correctly.

I was replying to the person who said "thats the memory leak issue". I even quoted it.

As for the Bluetooth issue, I've had one call where I confirmed it was Bluetooth causing the problem with dropped UMA calls.

When I speak to someone using a Curve who is having a UMA call issue I ask if they're using a Bluetooth headset and if they are have them un-pair it and turn off Bluetooth on the device. If the issue with the UMA calls is still there my conclusion is that Bluetooth is not causing the problem in that case and we move on.

Dave
I think part of the problem is not a lot of people are using bluetooth while on UMA. I have three different Curves all with their own line. I have tried two different bluetooth headsets and the At&t bluetooth phone. I have done wipe installs and everything I can think of.

On edge my bluetooth devices work great with not one issue. The other thing is my problems got worse with the latest software. My UMA is more reliable but at the sacrifice of loosing all bluetooth devices. I can sync with bluetooth while on a UMA call with no issues but cannot use a bluetooth headset to even check my voicemail while on UMA.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:05 AM   #22
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90

My wife an I are having the same issue. With my TMO curve my brand new Moto H12 does NOT work on UMA while my old Moto HS850 does. And my wife's TMO curve paired with her brand new Moto BH-801 does NOT work on UMA.

So is there is fix or find a heaset that we dont really like to use UMA with a bluetooth headset?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #23
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:17 PM..
Old 11-06-2007, 01:21 AM   #24
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

I'm trying a real bastardized fix here... In the process of loading the .180 OS but using the bluetooth module from .175. Not recommended to venture down this path just yet, when I attempted to load the .175 module through JavaLoader, after the BB rebooted the bluetooth module was gone completely from the device. No good, after some tinkering around I found that it wouldn't load even the .180 module after that, the bluetooth menu option was gone.

Now I replaced the bluetooth module in .180 with the .175 version. The .180 version is slightly smaller then the .175 version, but that doesn't mean much really. I am currently in the process of doing a complete OS reload because of how I am having to load this module on. Everything else is staying .180, but I want to see if UMA behaves any differently with JUST the bluetooth software change.

Kinda silly, but I figure the worst that happens is that I have to javaloader -usb wipe it and reload the OS again. I'll report back and let you all know how it goes, it takes forever to do an OS reload on these things.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:09 AM   #25
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Yeah.... Don't do as I did, even though I can see the module loaded, it doesn't work at all.. I am going to let it reload the .180 OS once more with the .180 bluetooth module back in it.

May have been a long shot, but it is a PITA that the bluetooth / UMA functionality seems to have taken a step backwards.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:12 AM   #26
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

If you were having better luck with .175 I wouldn't hesitate to roll back. I saw no benefits to .180 when I upgraded. I haven't personally noticed any issues with the .180 so I haven't rolled it back. However, at the first sign of trouble I'll go back to 175. 175 was a very stable build.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:18 AM   #27
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

I may just do that, just started it back through the .180 reload as I want to goto bed and let it do it's thing. Didn't feel like reinstalling the .175 software and uninstalling the .180 on the desktop tonight.

I think I may roll back tomorrow though, be a better way to see if there are indeed other updates in the .180 release that I would better notice by a rollback.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #28
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

After a long conversation with T-Mobile I finally got my case #(4338143) for the bluetooth issues with UMA. They spoke with RIM and RIM needed to speak with me. The RIM employee stated that it is a known issue that they are aggressively addressing. It is NOT hardware or frequency related but rather a software problem. He also aknowledged that the .180 software worsened the problem. If it was hardware or frequency, then software wouldn't make a difference.

He also stated that if anyone else had similiar issues that they should call in. The more people that call in the higher it goes on their proirity list.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #29
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Dentalrep:

Now that is great information. Feel alot better knowing that RIM is cognizant of the issue. I am going to call in and register my concerns. Will others do also so RIM can see the seriousness and urgency of the matter

Has anyone rolled back dwon to the .175 OS and has that bettered the problem
Old 11-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #30
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwilliams View Post
Dentalrep:

Now that is great information. Feel alot better knowing that RIM is cognizant of the issue. I am going to call in and register my concerns. Will others do also so RIM can see the seriousness and urgency of the matter

Has anyone rolled back dwon to the .175 OS and has that bettered the problem
I am rolling back as we type. I am going to .171 first then move my way up.

Maybe my case number will help you through all the junk before you go to RIM.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #31
whdigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

That's interesting, and always good to hear if they are addressing a problem!

I just don't get how it seems to affect some of us and not others...
Old 11-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #32
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whdigital View Post
That's interesting, and always good to hear if they are addressing a problem!

I just don't get how it seems to affect some of us and not others...
Maybe it has to do whether the headset is Bluetooth 2.0 edr or one of the previous standards? Whatever it is they have received enough calls about it to hopefully do something about it.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #33
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Downgraded to .171 and guess what? I can use Bluetooth with UMA! The only issue is I have dropped some calls while on Bluetooth and UMA. It is a big difference though. I couldn't even check my voicemail with .180.

So it is definetly software which is nice to know. But even with .171 it is not perfect. Hopefully they can get this fixed.

Last edited by dentalrep; 11-06-2007 at 07:51 PM..
Old 11-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #34
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Dentalrep:

Thanks for doing the downgrade and reporting back. I will do the downgrade right away
Old 11-07-2007, 07:40 AM   #35
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwilliams View Post
Dentalrep:

Thanks for doing the downgrade and reporting back. I will do the downgrade right away
Let me know how it works for you.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #36
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalrep View Post

He also stated that if anyone else had similiar issues that they should call in. The more people that call in the higher it goes on their proirity list.
The problem with that is that you've got to go thru a LONG series of low-level support steps for dummies to get to file an issue that Bluetooth and UMA have issues working together on this phone. I'm a Mac user, with limited to no access to a Windows box, and no way am I going to go thru all that "wipe your phone," followed by "Okay then...lets rewipe it again because that's what my little helpdesk software checklist tells me to tell you to do" crap just to register an issue.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #37
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:16 PM..
Old 11-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #38
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
I guess it all depends on how annoying the issue is for you versus calling in about it and spending a bit of time on the phone.

Dave
I don't mean this to be combative, but really, I have a highly cynical view of anything that I'm told by a consumer electronics firm when it comes to addressing product issues once they've been shipped UNLESS that issue is causing danger and mayhem in the world.

With development cycles being so fast anymore (proto-to-production), there is hardly any reason for a CE firm like RIM to invest the time necessary to fix their product bugs unless a) it affects sales and b) they don't have a replacement for the buggy device already in the pipeline. What they will do, instead, is fudge around with a few tweaks here and there and then announce they aren't going to support THAT phones buggy software but the NEW version fixes it so buy that one instead.

So no...I don't think all those little help-desk-scripts-for-dummies checklist items such as multiple wipes of the device are there for any other reason than to put hoops in front of consumers to keep us from filing class action suits. They are there as a means of having legal proof that help desk support is available even if that support is worthless for problems like this. This is why user-based communities exist....to debug the "higher issues" with the phones and act as free R&D for the CE firms. This is the Microsoft model and it's worked so well for them that as consumers, we don't even think twice about being their QA division anymore...we actually SIGN UP to be free QA for them.

I guess for me it's just a known bug and therefore one more reason why I'll be replacing this phone within 6 months as I'm addicted to the bleeding edge. And bleeding edge means someone has to bleed....it's usually the consumer bleeding $$$.

I'm the selfish sort with my time....hanging out with a clueless support rep and letting him go thru his checklist just so I can get eventually escalated to Level 2 support is not my idea of a good investment of time.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #39
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

As I represented I would, I called T-mobile and registered my concerns with this problem. I was sent to the UMA group and I spoke with a supervisor there. He was very knowledgeable about the problem as the UMA group have been getting complaints about the UMA and Bluetooth problem. He emphatically said to me that the two will not work together and explained why. He stated the UMA or wifi that the curve operating system is using is on the same freguency as the bluetooth is on. Yherefore, he stated, as of this date, the two functions cancel each other out. He stated it is just like when 2.4 Ghz phones interfer with internet service. Yet 5.8 Mghz frequencies do not interfere with internet connections.

Keep in mind everyone, I am not techie knowledgeable. So understand that although my above wording may be off, I offer it to try to give you guys at least the concept that the supervisor related to me. I hope those of you who are more knowledgeable get the idea.

For certain, the supervisor of the UMA Group said emphatically that bluetooth devices for the most part will not work with the T-mobile wifi setup or UMA, as they use the same frequency.

The supervisor told me that his group is aware of the problem and are trying to figure out a way to address the matter. He urged that everyone call into the UMA group so that they can send issue complaints to RIM to hopefully get RIM to thinking about changing their _________ (I forget what he said here and I am going to leave it blank so I will not appear to be a serious fool).

Everyone, please call. It just may result in this becomming a massive issue that RIM and T-mobile are forced to take action on
Old 11-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #40
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:14 PM..
Closed Thread