BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
SmokinV10
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Switch from iPhone back to BB (8310)?

Please Login to Remove!

Im one of those guys who ditched my blackberry (8800) for an iPhone. Now months later, the novelty has worn off (most of it) and I miss the functionality of the blackberry. I got emails MUCH faster, opened easier and the battery lasted A LOT longer. Since im considering going back, a few things:

1) on the 8310, is the battery time an issue? I see all these Seidio extended battery threads and im wondering if Im going to be going half a day and running low on battery (thats what my iPhone does, especially when its pulling IMAP from the enterprise server).

2) Anything you dont like about it? please be objective instead of a BB flag waiver. Ive had pretty much every BB before the iPhone, 8800, 8700c, pearl, 7290, etc.

3) How well does the google search icon thing work? Ive been holding off on getting the curve since the 8800 was so big, but the curve lacked nav. Thign is with the iphone I NEVER use 411 anymore. Just type in the listing under google earth and it shows me where it is, phone number, location etc. figure I could do the same thing with the nav and google coupled together.

The iphone does have some advantages. It has a great screen, it doenst scratch, build quality is second to none, user interface is nicer, but i miss the basic stuff like the never ending call log. What do you guys think?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

1) I never run out of battery but I charge mine every night. I am a moderate to heavy user and it gets me through the day.

2) Browser does not compare to iphones. Build quality not as good as iphone.

3) google maps can pinpint the park bench I am sitting on. Pretty cool.

I have always been a bb user and have an iphone. I loved the iphone at first but after the novelty wore off I realize the Blackberry does so much more better. BB is a messaging device. Iphone is a multimedia/web browsing device.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold

1) I never run out of battery but I charge mine every night. I am a moderate to heavy user and it gets me through the day.

2) Browser does not compare to iphones. Build quality not as good as iphone.

3) google maps can pinpint the park bench I am sitting on. Pretty cool.

I have always been a bb user and have an iphone. I loved the iphone at first but after the novelty wore off I realize the Blackberry does so much more better. BB is a messaging device. Iphone is a multimedia/web browsing device.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
Darkflame808

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile soon cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinV10 View Post
Im one of those guys who ditched my blackberry (8800) for an iPhone. Now months later, the novelty has worn off (most of it) and I miss the functionality of the blackberry. I got emails MUCH faster, opened easier and the battery lasted A LOT longer. Since im considering going back, a few things:

1) on the 8310, is the battery time an issue? I see all these Seidio extended battery threads and im wondering if Im going to be going half a day and running low on battery (thats what my iPhone does, especially when its pulling IMAP from the enterprise server).

2) Anything you dont like about it? please be objective instead of a BB flag waiver. Ive had pretty much every BB before the iPhone, 8800, 8700c, pearl, 7290, etc.

3) How well does the google search icon thing work? Ive been holding off on getting the curve since the 8800 was so big, but the curve lacked nav. Thign is with the iphone I NEVER use 411 anymore. Just type in the listing under google earth and it shows me where it is, phone number, location etc. figure I could do the same thing with the nav and google coupled together.

The iphone does have some advantages. It has a great screen, it doenst scratch, build quality is second to none, user interface is nicer, but i miss the basic stuff like the never ending call log. What do you guys think?
Battery time has never been an issue. On My iphone I could not put the thing down. I went from 100% at 3i3opm to 10% at 11:30pm

My curve at the same time shows 60% with the same use.
Google search is roughly the same. not as pretty but still fully functional.

only gripe is the web browser. Its like a trip down memory lane. Think Lynx for unit with images randomly placed for false comfort.

Opera mini helps but leaves much to be desired.

I miss the safari browser but I would never go back.

Yahoo, Aol , googletalk etc online all day without hitch. The blackberry shows the iphone what a true communication device is. The iphone shows the blackberry that it don't matter what you can do cause you look good.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
SmokinV10

Isnt that the truth. If RIM made the BB with optical quality glass and an aluminum case...same way apple threw down with quality, they could charge $100 more and I'd pay it. Im still coming back to the BB. Im using my land line tonight because my battery is dead on my iPhone.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:27 AM   #6
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.

Add me to the list of BB users who got a iPhone only to find the iPhone still has many things to learn and went back to my good old BB (which I may soon be upgrading)
Old 11-06-2007, 01:30 AM   #7
butter71

Model: 8310
Carrier: the "new" at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblackberrynyc View Post
Add me to the list of BB users who got a iPhone only to find the iPhone still has many things to learn and went back to my good old BB (which I may soon be upgrading)
ashamedly, me too.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:34 AM   #8
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Isnt that the truth. If RIM made the BB with optical quality glass and an aluminum case...same way apple threw down with quality, they could charge $100 more and I'd pay it. Im still coming back to the BB. Im using my land line tonight because my battery is dead on my iPhone.
The Apple iPhone was the most well-made and solidly constructed phones that I have ever had...period. As a matter of fact, after the iPhone...I have been unhappy with how plasticky, light and hollow feeling most everything else is by comparisson. But, the main reason for that as you said is the huge sheet of optical glass and aluminum casing...very sturdy. RIM (and others) could learn a thing or two about how to build a phone from Apple, and that is a fact!!

But...I am going back to a BlackBerry too as well. I know many have had no issues with the iPhone, but I went through four of them and got sick of the niggling issues that prevailed. Plus, the useage was so limited compared to my BlackBerry...the lusty romance with the pretty screen and touch/pinch/flick UI died quickly.

Got an 8310 on the way...and can't wait!!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
ld-runner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

I always come back to BB. I think most people do. I tried and tried to use WM5 / WM6 / Smartphone / iPhone....etc. I always come back to BB. The 8310 is my newest device and it really is the best so far. I still have a few WM6 devices laying around just in case I need a reminder not to go back
Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #10
Marcjcd
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblackberrynyc View Post
Add me too... the iPhone "hangover" is OVER, and back to an 8310 I went!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
dstrauss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Isnt that the truth. If RIM made the BB with optical quality glass and an aluminum case...same way apple threw down with quality, they could charge $100 more and I'd pay it...
Thisa is one of the mos accurate assessments I've ever read. Only the old Samsung i500 flip phone coms close to iPhone build quality. But design is a hallmark issue for Apple.

I've owned a ton of different "smartphones" (Samsung i500,Treo 270-600-650, Audiovox, Cingular 3125-8125-Tilt, and iPhone), but nothing has been a more satisfyng compromise than the Curve 8310. I say that admiringly, because "compromise" is the best you can ask from all these converged devices. I'm a moderate to heavy email user, dozen or so calls per day, 30-60 of web browsing, and then playing with GPS, etc. I can easily go two dyas without a charge, and like last weekend (with fewer emails but a little more web browsing) three dyas to 30%.

No doubt the screen, browser and music experience on the iPhone are unmatched, but that's where it ends for business or non-consumer only users. The Curve lasts forever; best email (puts even Exchange Activestink to shame); best keyboard (I feel like I've used them all); good browser experience (is it Safari - no - is it better than Blazer or PIE - undoubtedly). Do I miss 3G or WiFi; no, the RIMM servers help mitigate te loss of high speed conncetion. And, if you're lucky enough to have T-Mobile Hot-Spot-at-Home, you have the first true ablity to ditch that land line for good.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #12
blackberryle84

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

i sold my 8800 to get the IPhone. A month later I sold the IPhone and got the 8320. Best decision I ever made. As the saying goes, "Once you go Blackberry, you never go back."
Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 PM   #13
SmokinV10

ATT customer care wotn give me a discount on my curve. Funny thing is that I bought the last couple of phones at FULL RETAIL price. The iPhone isnt a bundled phone but required a 2 year contract. Now that im stuck on that contract they wotn give me a bundled price on the curve even if I sign a new contract. What kind of horse $hit is that?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
AlexKidd

Model: 8300
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
ATT customer care wotn give me a discount on my curve. Funny thing is that I bought the last couple of phones at FULL RETAIL price. The iPhone isnt a bundled phone but required a 2 year contract. Now that im stuck on that contract they wotn give me a bundled price on the curve even if I sign a new contract. What kind of horse $hit is that?
I believe the susidy money that AT&T would normally use to reduce the price of your phone is now going to Apple in the form of monthly kick-backs for the exclusive agreement.

With that being said, if you really want a "functional" smartphone, I encourage you to go back to the Curve. I didn't fall into the beauty trap of the iPhone and am so glad I didn't. The Curve is the most functional phone I have ever owned - and it can be extended with third-party software very easily. Apple's mindset of locking out developers was very short-sighted and they only just recently decided that they better support them and release the SDK 1Q'08 I believe was the last I heard.

--Kidd
Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #15
SmokinV10

Went to the AT&T Store a few minutes ago. Got the manager to give me a discounted price of $199 before rebates. After the rebate im gonna have paid a net $99 for the 3310. iPhone is going on eBay tonight.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:51 AM   #16
ptmis350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjcd View Post
Add me too... the iPhone "hangover" is OVER, and back to an 8310 I went!
Yep me too, had an 8703, switched to ATT, waited in line got an iphone opening day, and went crazy losing all my features. I missed my BB so much. I then bought an 8310 and truly found the perfect device.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #17
hnwosu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Both devices do what they were designed to do the best. Like all have said. The iphone is arguably the best Media/Web phone out. The blackberry is your best all around communications device.

In the end what do you do more with your phone? I appreciate the fact that RIM actually designs apps (Facebook, AIM, Y!Messenger, etc.) To work with the phones messaging system. It just makes me wonder why the iphone is so "brilliant"
Old 11-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #18
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S

Quote:
Went to the AT&T Store a few minutes ago. Got the manager to give me a discounted price of $199 before rebates. After the rebate im gonna have paid a net $99 for the 3310. iPhone is going on eBay tonight.
Great choice! Glad the manager took care of you.

Welcome back!

Old 11-09-2007, 11:57 PM   #19
ut james

Quote:
!?!?

How did you manage this?

I was a blackberry addict as well until making the switch to the iPhone a few months ago... and I agree 100% with all the above comments on quality, etc.

HOWEVER, I'll admit I've been quietly lurking the forums here for a while now, plotting a way to get my Curve back for less than $450 full retail. I want my Blackberry!
Closed Thread