Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 AM   #41
luc-mobile
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Claro

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
Uh oh. I never did the battery drain thing when I first got the Curve about a month ago. But I don't feel that my battery runs out very quickly and I use my BB alot throughout the day for calls, internet and music -- but then again I do plug it in every night since I don't use a landline anymore. Should I still fully drain the battery now to expand it or is too late?
I never did a battery pull on mine (I was not aware of any of this) and my battery is fairly good. It lasts about 3 full days, although I don't use it a lot. Mostly a lot of Web browsing and RSS reading + plus one hour of pod casts every day.

What annoys me about the Curve and its battery is that it will turn the radio off when the battery reaches 15%. That would be reasonable if I couldn't get at least 3 hours of MP3 play time with that 15%. So I can listen to music for more than 3 hours, but I can't make a single quick emergency call? That's just nonsense. I should be allowed to choose whether I want to turn the radio off and be able to listen to music with whatever juice I have left or have no music and still use the phone for, say, 10 or 15 minutes.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:10 AM   #42
luc-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualjon View Post
Well I wasn't exactly unhappy with the OEM battery life but after going to Seido's extended battery, I'd say I'm charging my phone every 5-6 days. I have moderate use pushing and pulling email and phone use but I also use it as my personal "boom box" every morning while I take a shower and if I'm working on a computer alone in a room. I've got a 4GB card in it so I can hold a lot of music. I use it for my work outs with a stereo bluetooth headset, and I play tetris with it everytime I find myself sitting on the toilet.

Here's my phone with my "getto" modified cover with the extended battery...
http://www.unofficial3d.com/files/curve01.jpg
Dude, what did you do to that battery door? Why does it have a hole hacksawed through it as if in a Tom & Jerry cartoon? Doesn't the Seidio extended battery come with an appropriate battery door?

BTW, I've heard dozens of tear jerking stories of people who had their phones in the bathroom, especially when too close to the toilet. I don't even brush my teeth with my phone in the holster. The bathroom is strictly off-limits!
Old 10-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #43
chriscbs

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

My battery life on the 8300 was great (around two days, with moderate/heavy usage), like everyone is describing.

I upgraded to the 8310 two weeks ago, and the battery life on this phone is horrible. It's been about eight hours since it was charged, and I've got about 25% of the battery power left.

Is there a way to disable the GPS or anything? That's the only difference that I'm aware of.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #44
akc786

Model: 9800
Carrier: Mobilink

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/190)

Mine is working like 2 days. I'm using 8300 for the last 6 months.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #45
seanwilliams

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

i got about 2 solid days out of my first charge with light usage compared to what ive been reading...but thats fine by me
Old 10-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #46
dunk50
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default ????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinman View Post
I must say the thing that helped me the most with the Battery....was the Holding the ALT key and pressing the "Back" button....seeing what is running in the background and then closing all except what you can't close (Home, Browser, Messages, and Call log) My battery time went from lasting 6-8hrs....to 2-3days.
If anyone is complaining about Battery I recommend that they first check to see what is running in the background that they might have forgot to close instead of just "backing" out of the Application.
I have checked and searched all I can. When I do the Alt & back I get these icons. How do you turn some of them off or are they ALL supposed to be on?
phone, messages,home, browser, BBmessenger,PTT,. Should I be able to turn any of these off. If in the future I do this and find other icons, do you select and hit delete or what??
Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #47
R-W
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Down
Carrier: T-mo
Smile

After charging all night I have went 18 hours and I'm down to 10%. (I was web browsing as much as I could throughout the day, BBMessenger on 24/7, Wi-fi and BT on 24/7, maybe 15 - 20 Emails, and probably 1.5 - 2 hours of talk time) Is that light or heavy usage?
I've only had the 8320 for 6 days, I think? But, when I first got it, I did let the Battery run down until it died--2times. (Because I read on HOFO that it would help the life of the battery??)
I would Love to get 2 - 3 days out of it, but for now, I'm quite happy with the battery life

Last edited by R-W; 10-30-2007 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: To add something important
Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 PM   #48
luc-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk50 View Post
I have checked and searched all I can. When I do the Alt & back I get these icons. How do you turn some of them off or are they ALL supposed to be on? phone, messages,home, browser, BBmessenger,PTT,. Should I be able to turn any of these off. If in the future I do this and find other icons, do you select and hit delete or what??
You cannot turn off the phone, messages, home screen, browser and BBmessenger. I don't know what PTT is. That you might be able to turn off.

Turning off an application is easy. You switch to the application and hit the Menu key, the one next to the green Call button. That menu should contain a Close or Exit entry. If there are both, select Exit. When both are present, Close usually just hides/minimizes thr app.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #49
dunk50
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Ptt

PTT is push to talk. I'm on AT&T / cingular and i think it's like Nextels communications. I don't use it so I don't know anymore about it. Thanks for the reply! I was just checking to see if I had anything running in the background that shouldn't be. Not happy with battery life yet. 5 minutes TX, 30 minutes playing with it just trying to learn it all and I get about 36 hours. Again nothing is on, no gps, no bluetooth etc. I think mine would go dead in 48 hours if I used it or not.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:40 AM   #50
luc-mobile

You know what, BB batteries can be expensive where I live: exchange rate, plus international shipping (with insurance), plus 60% import taxes (based on the product's usual retail price + shipping; YES, the cost of shipping is taxed too) and, finally, the importer's fees and margins.

But you are in the U.S. You can buy a new battery for as little as 15 bucks. If I were in the U.S., I would buy another battery just to see how it performs. Heck, I would buy another battery just so I would have a spare - using one while the other one is recharged.

If the problem is in the battery, what the hey, it's just 15 bucks. If it is not, I guess you can reclaim your warranty. Even if it is in the battery, it must be covered by the warranty too.

Give it a try. The battery life you're getting sounds disappointing to me. I would be unhappy.

Happy charging.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:44 AM   #51
perpetualjon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc-mobile View Post
Dude, what did you do to that battery door? Why does it have a hole hacksawed through it as if in a Tom & Jerry cartoon? Doesn't the Seidio extended battery come with an appropriate battery door?

BTW, I've heard dozens of tear jerking stories of people who had their phones in the bathroom, especially when too close to the toilet. I don't even brush my teeth with my phone in the holster. The bathroom is strictly off-limits!
I didn't do anything to the battery door. It's underneath the cover I hacked up. I didn't want to run around without a rubberized cover on my phone so I "made it fit". Seido has told me that they're working on a new cover for BB's that use the extended battery though so it won't look getto for too much longer.

...And as far as the bathroom goes, it will never fall in the toilet as I'm usually sitting on it if the phone's near by. I will take a shower with it playing music though. It's really become my personal boombox these days. I will wrap it in a hand towel with just the speaker grille exposed so the steam doesn't get all over it though.

The fact is, I dropped my Curve a few months ago after I got the extended battery and replacement battery door and it died upon impact -which is pretty odd considering how often these guys get dropped. But it was what I believe to be the "perfect storm" of a drop: I was getting into a truck (high off the ground) and it fell on the concrete driveway from about 3 feet in the air. Ever since then, I won't run around without good outer protection for my phone -no matter how crappy it looks in closeup photos!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #52
seanwilliams

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

what it considered heavy internet usage? because i just took mine off the charger this morning and the first line is already gone...i have the backlight turned to med brightness, shuts off after 10sec and i was only on it maybe 1hr total tops with the facebook app running the whole time...although i did try to go to my banks website online and my whole unit locked up and gave me a blank white screen saying the app crashed and i had to restart..that mightve drained some power
Old 11-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #53
MadDog_

PIN: Hang on. I'm looking for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinman View Post
I must say the thing that helped me the most with the Battery....was the Holding the ALT key and pressing the "Back" button....seeing what is running in the background and then closing all except what you can't close (Home, Browser, Messages, and Call log) My battery time went from lasting 6-8hrs....to 2-3days.
If anyone is complaining about Battery I recommend that they first check to see what is running in the background that they might have forgot to close instead of just "backing" out of the Application.
Yeah. Cool tip. I've had my 8310 now for 3 days and the battery thing is a drag. I'm noticing that after about 7 hours, it's on about it's last legs.

Now that I'm looking, why can't I close BB Messenger? If I go Options > Close, it still shows up in Alt - Back.

What's up with that?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #54
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

BBMessenger will always remain running in the background. It is a RIM certainty. Can't close it completely, along with the browser, phone, address book and Homescreen.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #55
MadDog_

PIN: Hang on. I'm looking for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
BBMessenger will always remain running in the background. It is a RIM certainty. Can't close it completely, along with the browser, phone, address book and Homescreen.
OK. Aside from those, I have ToDoMatrix, IdeaMatrix, and BB Weather running. Any idea how those will affect battery life?

Also, can I get rid of PTT? I'm not going to use it, and I know there are threads here on it that I'll look for later.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #56
ej25
Thumbs Must Hurt

i just did 2 days of almost nonstop calls, sms, bbm and forum posting
Old 03-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #57
harper828
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T (Formerly Cingular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
If you phone is going thru more than half the battery in 7 hours it is due to one of three things

3) you are in a poor reception area and you phone is struggling to maintain service. I have never seen this myself but I hear this is true. My normal area is covered very well.
I think this is the problem with mine, my office floor doesn't have reception unless you go out into the Reception Area (makes sense I guess )
So mine is on all day long. Sometimes I have it charging so I can remember to synch while I'm making appointments.

I just recently starting having it shut off at 11:30 and back on at 5am.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #58
jwalia

Model: 8800

mine lasts me about 1 day! I am constantly texting, on the phone, playing brick breaker, and a little bit online.

with all that 1 day is good right?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:18 AM   #59
velocity92c
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T Mobile

I don't know if this has already been posted, I didn't feel like reading the whole thread, but I was able to improve my battery life drastically by setting my screen brightness to the lowest setting. Even on the lowest setting everything is still very easy to see and I'd say my battery lasts at least 3 times as long now. Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:09 AM   #60
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

I don't how long my battery lasts as it's always full when I check it.
Closed Thread