nezzy76
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Can someone help with warranty?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
Well my Curve had me at "hello" when I first got it. 2 months later I wanted to throw it in the garbage because of all the dust under the screen. I am not anal but it was so bad I couldn't see things on the right side of the screen. So I sent it back to AT&T and they sent me a new one no problem. Well it's been another 2 months and want to throw this one in the garbage because of dust under the screen. I only put my phone in my pocket, I am very careful with my devices. I called AT&T and they won't warranty because it is an "abuse issue" and "not a known problem". Can anybody help me? I will never buy another BB again. They make a pretty good OS but holy @#%$ $300 and this is what you get.

Any help on how I can exchange for a new Curve (least desired option) or exchange for a new brand of phone (most desired option) would be very desirable????

I know I might catch some flak but I think sometimes we are at the mercy of these companies that rip us off and I would like to have a little power. BB deliberatly removed this issue from their warranty list.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Well, they likely have this info down on your account now, so they probably won't be coming off their decision. Too bad.

I don't know what you can do at this point. I know I have seen a number of users complain about dust under screen on here, but we're not ATT, so they would likely never agree that it is a known issue because of posts from here.

My advice: quit carrying it on your pocket. Lots of lint in there.

If you can't get this one replaced or a decent other phone, just clean this one well, and get it out of your pocket.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
nezzy76

Thanks for the reply. I'm just super bummed out. I'm not a big fan of carrying my phone in my hand all day. God gave us pocket's for a reason.

Last edited by JSanders; 10-30-2007 at 12:05 AM..
Old 10-30-2007, 12:05 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

God gave me a belt clip and a holster. He gave my wife a holster with a clip, she keeps either clipped to her purse, or clipped to her pocket when she walks in the morning, etc., and is not carrying a purse.

There's more than one way to skin a cat!

Sorry you are bummed, I can tell you are. if there is not a good resolution, do consider cleaning the dust and carrying the BB differently, is all I was recommending. It is a good device, still.

Last edited by JSanders; 10-30-2007 at 12:08 AM..
Old 10-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
gufsfan123

Carrier: att

I returned 3 curves before I found one that was "solid". I had read about the dust issue, and mine seemed a little loose each time. Even though the store thought I was crazy, and at one point didn't want to do it, they eventually did when I raised enough hell.. I'm glad I did it now after all the issues I have read. Also, try using a skin.. I use one for my 8300, put it in my pocket every day and have never had an issue.. Just another idea for you..
Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
Pinman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Once again I can tell from your first post that this is not the answer you are looking for but like Jsanders said....after the provider puts notes on your account it is very hard to get them to change their mind...only way around that is Calling and telling them you will drop their service unless they help you out....their next step should be to transfer you to their "Retention" department in order to do whatever they can to keep you as a customer(ie. Exchange phone or replacement).....only problem here is they may just go ahead and cancel your service(Call your BS)....
I reccomend option number two if you remotely liked the BB at all and that is read http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...art-2-a-4.html , they have many people in this thread saying how to clean out the dust. Then I would use the holster...but if that is not an option...I recomend putting on a Sleeve and then in a pocket holster....figure the more layers between the phone and your pocket lint....the better!
Good luck with whatever you choose!

Last edited by Pinman; 10-30-2007 at 01:03 PM..
Old 10-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
nezzy76

Thanks for all the replies. Just frustrated I guess. I did talk to a rep that gave me $475 for a Tilt which is a step in the right direction. I do carry my phone 50% of the time in a holster but am fond of the pocket. I'll keep trying. Again, thanks for all the input.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
kdog1176
Thumbs Must Hurt

I was also very dismayed by the dust in the curve. Went through 3 before getting an 8820.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
nezzy76

I'm paying $475 today for a new Tilt. Thanks for all the reply's. I had high hopes for my BB. I've owned several Treo's, Pearl, and a curve and I have to say that build quality (dust under screen) and warranty problem's (BB builds a poor quality phone and won't pay for their mistakes) is as far as I'll ever get with RIM. I would call it 1st base. Well on to WM 6.0.

Thanks again for everyone's help. They should let forum's make executive decisions.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:51 PM   #10
jwh463
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Default Att Says No Defect With Curve

My 8300 which is pristine, no scratchs or nicks has dust under the screen. This device is in a leather case where it stays. After talking with TOM DONNER in ATT's Warranty Department in South Dakota. He advised me the dust under the screen is not a defect and it will not be replaced. He said dust could not get under the screen unless there is a crack in my device. He told me my device is out of warranty "because it has obviuosly been dropped".