BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:00 AM   #1
giddyup1

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Default Activating AT&T BB Service on 8310?

Please Login to Remove!

I got an 8310 today from AT&T store. Using the phone works fine when I put my existing SIM card in.

But I can't get email working. The screen shows lowercase "edge" instead of capital "EDGE", which led me to believe that the Blackberry data plan was not active on the phone. The person at the store added the $29.99 data plan to my account. How long does it normally take?

I tried changing the PIN and IMEI on the AT&T BIS site and it says that the information is not valid for this service provider.

Then I called AT&T and they tried to put in the IMEI number on my account, and the rep said that the IMEI number in currently invalid, and furthermore, she doesn't see 8310 in her list of devices yet.

Has anyone had success in getting their 8310 working with email (BIS and/or BES)? Is it possible that since they haven't officially launched it yet (as of Monday evening) that you can't enable BIS/BES functionality?

Giddyup
Old 10-16-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I do not think it has anything to do with the 8310 being new. You need to call again and talk to someone in the Blackberry support. I am betting the sales person who sold you the phone does not know what they are doing.

Have you gone to the BIS site and tried to activate your own account?

Got to: BlackBerry Internet Service
Old 10-16-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Default Also `

On your device go to:

Options
Advanced Options
Host Routing Table
Click on the menu button
Click on Register Now
Old 10-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
giddyup1

Default problem solved

it turns out that all my issues were because the rep at the store did not add the blackberry data service to my account. it's all good now. so far the 8310 rocks!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
dottedlinegirl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 24250391

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup1 View Post

Then I called AT&T and they tried to put in the IMEI number on my account, and the rep said that the IMEI number in currently invalid, and furthermore, she doesn't see 8310 in her list of devices yet.
Giddyup
I just got off the phone with the AT&T Business dept. for this exact same problem. He tried adding the data plan to my account and the computer wouldn't let him because it said my phone was "incompatible" (a BB incompatible with a BB data plan... interesting!). So he asked me for my IMEI, and when he entered it, the computer showed it as an "unknown manufacturer."

He suggested I take it back to the store and exchange it for a new one with a different IMEI. I'm a little loathe to do so since I just finished transferring all my data to this one, but... if that's what it takes?

Your post initially made me hope that I just need to wait this out a day or two until AT&T's system works itself out, but now that I see you've had your problem solved, I guess I better go put my shoes back on. Boo!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
it turns out that all my issues were because the rep at the store did not add the blackberry data service to my account. it's all good now. so far the 8310 rocks!
Glad you got it worked out and are up and running!
Old 10-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
dottedlinegirl

PIN: 24250391

Update: Took the 8310 to a store, repeated everything the phone CSR said to the in-store CSR, who ended up encountering the exact same problems (invalid IMEI, etc.).

Fifteen minutes later, my data plan was back on my account and I had working text, messenger, internet and e-mail. My CSR had no idea as to the whys, so we chalked it up to magic.

In any case, I am so, so happy to finally have this phone in hand! Totally worth the months of agonizing and waiting.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedlinegirl View Post
I just got off the phone with the AT&T Business dept. for this exact same problem. He tried adding the data plan to my account and the computer wouldn't let him because it said my phone was "incompatible" (a BB incompatible with a BB data plan... interesting!). So he asked me for my IMEI, and when he entered it, the computer showed it as an "unknown manufacturer."

He suggested I take it back to the store and exchange it for a new one with a different IMEI. I'm a little loathe to do so since I just finished transferring all my data to this one, but... if that's what it takes?

Your post initially made me hope that I just need to wait this out a day or two until AT&T's system works itself out, but now that I see you've had your problem solved, I guess I better go put my shoes back on. Boo!
Dottedlinegirl,

Did you happen to ask the Rep if they had the 8310 in their list of approved BB devices? The IMEI may have shown the model 8310 and he didn't have it on his "list" yet. You might luck out with another rep and save yourself a trip to the store.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 10-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #9
giddyup1

i didn't have to go back to the store. i just talked to someone in blackberry support on the phone who simply added the blackberry plan, reregistered, and then everything was working.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
Radhika

I am seem to have all the same problems as everyone has noted here. I purchased my 8310 through Ebay and have now spent over 4 hours between the online tech support and the 800 tech support and my IT department to get the phone to work. It only displays lower case edge and cannot seem to register on the blackberry network. The final conclusion was to have the phone exchanged until I read all these threads. My account does have the data service plan and BES, I had the 8300 CURVE and it was working fine. Does anyone have a name of someone at AT&T to get this 8310 to work? Please help.....
Old 10-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
shakuyi

PIN: 2425A121

ok this issue with the 8310 and not registering is happening to a lot i dont think at&t has it all updated yet we are experiencing the same problem in our store
Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #12
Keyscan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedlinegirl View Post

He should have called RIM to confirm your PIN/IMEI first just to see if there were any issues with that combination. We always get our carrier to contact RIM if they start giving us a story like that.

Maybe I need to start trusting carrier's more!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #13
Radhika

Quote:
i didn't have to go back to the store. i just talked to someone in blackberry support on the phone who simply added the blackberry plan, reregistered, and then everything was working.
When you say call Blackberry support is that through RIM or AT&T?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radhika View Post
When you say call Blackberry support is that through RIM or AT&T?
It means to call your carrier and insist on talking to the special support team that knows about Blackberrys.

This can be tough as these people will do everything they can to help you. They are trained to help the best they can and ONLY if required they will send you up the support ladder to level two of three where you find the most experienced tech people hiding!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #15
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I read an article on another site stating that this issue is somewhat common at this point. There have been more calls to AT&T support about this in the days since this has launched. I can't remember where I read it. I think it was CrackBerry.com. I believe they said that a call to RIM fixes the issue.

Oh, here is the link: Potential AT&T BlackBerry Curve 8310 Setup Difficulties? | CrackBerry.com

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 10-18-2007 at 11:48 AM..
Closed Thread