Old 09-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
BHozier

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Pesonal Data Concerns - Work Vs Personal

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all

Here is my situation. I have a BB Curve that I bought personally. I have also have a personal ATT number.

I bought this device and got a personal ATT number so I could keep my personal and business data separate. I work for a company that has BB enterprise server. I have activated the device on my company's BB Server so I can get my corporate email on the BB as well as my personal email. I have also set up a personal Yahoo account.

My question is can my company see my personal data like phone call history, SMS messages Yahoo Mail etc?

I'm traveling overseas and activated a new/loaner (local) BB device with a new pin so i can get my corp email while traveling and noticed that my recent call history was loaded / appeared on the loaner BB

This is somewhat concerning because I bought BB myself and got the ATT account myself (i pay for it under my name) so I could keep my personal life separate from work. I really don't care what they see when I'm using one of their devices (the loaner) but I don't want them to see my personal stuff when I'm back in the states

I'm thinking it may have been loaded up when used the BB Desktop App to activate the loaner. Does the BB Desktop App store call history etc?

Is there anyway to keep this kind of data (sms, yahoo mail, call history) off the company BB enterprise server?

My company has a pretty strict policy re inappropriate email etc and my friends are not always the most discrete when sending emails and sms messages -- lets just say I'm sure HR would not be happy with some of the profanity laden jokes and pictures I get from friends

Any info will be helpful

THANKS
Old 09-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, the have access now to EVERYTHING on the device (Email, Instant Message, Web activity. Sorry. Your only option for keeping them separate is if they allow access to email via the web. You can use BIS to get your work email delivered to the handheld and keep you personal stuff seperate.

No if you can access email OWA then you will need to ask them nicely to remove you from the BES and send you a BLANK IT Policy. You will lose real-time calendar, etc. but at least you will be seperate.

Good Luck!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 09-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
BHozier

Default Is this for the loaner or my personal set up?

E

I'm not sure if you were referring to my personal or loaner setup when you said they can see EVERYTHING -- I expect them to see everything when I use one f their loaners and phone numbers but not when I use my personal device and phone number

Can you elaborate on how I can keep the two worlds separate

Thanks
Old 09-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

He was referring to your personal BB.

Basically, take it off the BES server if you want no worries of them monitoring you or seeing your call logs, SMS, etc... because that stuff can be monitored on a BES server. Just use a loaner from them if you want work emails or like the poster stated above, see if you can access work emails using BIS or web based. But if you are on the BES server, they can monitor.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
BHozier

Default Do they need to ...

Do they need to set it up this way or does it capture all this information by default?

Looks like I might be going back to an IPhone for personal data etc

Thanks
Old 09-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I believe it records this information by default. Not that they WILL be looking at your data, but they do have access to do so. What you could do is have them remove your BlackBerry from the BES server, then set up a rule in your e-mail program to forward your work messages to your BlackBerry. Of course, you won't have the functionality of wirelssly synching your contacts, notes and calendar.

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 09-17-2007 at 04:15 PM..
Old 09-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
BHozier

Default Thanks - anybody else know if this is data is captured by default?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

As Jeremy stated I do beleive that it is all captured by default which means they have all your current personal data. But just because they have it does not necessarily mean then will review it but they could. Like I said if you disconnect and use BIS to pull it....you should have any issue keeping them seperate.

Good luck!

E-

Old 09-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
BHozier

I guess I would be a little surprised if they could see me all my yahoo mail and call log etc -- i thought he yahoo mail went through the att server not the BB Enterprise server

Again, I know they can see my calendar --- they don't have wireless sync turned on for the address book
Old 09-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
BHozier

Default Bis

Sorry -- what is BIS?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #11
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Well if the Yahoo emails were on the HandHeld they were probably synched to the BES server. But anyway... BIS is Blackberry Internet Server. You are probably using it to get your Yahoo or are you logging into yahoo to get it. With BIS you can have up to 10 accounts Personal or work set up to be pushed to your handheld. Yahoo, Gmail, etc. It is already included in your plan. If you can get to your work email via the internet then you can set it up so that work email is pushed to your handheld along with yahoo, etc. It will be completely private as long as you are deactiviated on BES. You can send and receive work emails using BIS as an intermediary. It polls the server every 15 minutes to get new email and delivers them to you BB.

For more...

General BIS FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ

Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
zuiko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

So if you are using both BIS and BES, email downloaded from the BIS gets uploaded to the BES? That seems kind of strange.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #13
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

1.4 and 1.6 here:
BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ

BES admin cannot read or log the content of your incoming BIS messages, however they can force all replies to BIS messages to be routed through the BES, thus logging them in your desktop email system.

Once you put a device on a corporate BES, you give up all control over the device.

Last edited by penguin3107; 09-17-2007 at 05:30 PM..
Old 09-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
ameagle987
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: yeah right
Carrier: Tmobile

The BES servers also have access to phone call records in real time -- so as soon as you hit the TALK button it'll show up in the call logs. Same thing for web browsing.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #15
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameagle987 View Post
The BES servers also have access to phone call records in real time -- so as soon as you hit the TALK button it'll show up in the call logs. Same thing for web browsing.
... and PIN messaging, and SMS, and corporate e-mail.. ;)
Old 09-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #16
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Thanks for clarifying the BIS to BES situation....I am sure you gave a few people a couple new waves of nausea... ;)

Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #17
arazu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

I can pretty much guarantee that the admins are watching. That is part of their job. I don't know BES but I spot check and run scripts on log files. We have plenty of bandwidth so I don't care who checks bank records or logs onto MySpace on a break. I'm looking for dubious websites or inappropriate conduct over company email/resources. If you have strict IT policies there are people looking harder than I am.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #18
NaplesBill

Carrier: Alltel

First of all, it would be unethical for your company to monitor your personal info on a device that is your property. If they have agreed to allow you remote access using your own device then the most they should be monitoring is your use of your company email address. They do have a right to protect themselves from inappropriate use of email. That does not include your use of a personal phone number if you are not using it to conduct company business. Of course, you are at the mercy of their honesty and intregrity in this scenario. Also, I don't think you can use BES and BIS at the same time. At least it wasn't a possibility 3 years ago when I first setup BES at my company.

I would suggest one of two things. One option would be to switch from BES to BIS. This basically means your phone service provider would be the acting BES system and would allow you up to ten email addresses on your device. This would require the ability for remote email from your company email server. The other option would be to keep your BES setup and Yahoo Go! to check your Yahoo email. There is also a GMail program that would allow you to check multiple email address seperately from the main message folder on your BB. The GMail system allows you to pull email from other accounts. This is setup on your mailbox at gmail.com. The problem with the second option is that your sms/mms/text messages will still get synchronized to the BES server.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #19
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesBill View Post
First of all, it would be unethical for your company to monitor your personal info on a device that is your property. If they have agreed to allow you remote access using your own device then the most they should be monitoring is your use of your company email address. They do have a right to protect themselves from inappropriate use of email. That does not include your use of a personal phone number if you are not using it to conduct company business. Of course, you are at the mercy of their honesty and intregrity in this scenario. Also, I don't think you can use BES and BIS at the same time. At least it wasn't a possibility 3 years ago when I first setup BES at my company.

I would suggest one of two things. One option would be to switch from BES to BIS. This basically means your phone service provider would be the acting BES system and would allow you up to ten email addresses on your device. This would require the ability for remote email from your company email server. The other option would be to keep your BES setup and Yahoo Go! to check your Yahoo email. There is also a GMail program that would allow you to check multiple email address seperately from the main message folder on your BB. The GMail system allows you to pull email from other accounts. This is setup on your mailbox at gmail.com. The problem with the second option is that your sms/mms/text messages will still get synchronized to the BES server.
Unethical goes out the window when you tie your personal info into a corporate world. BES and BIS are compatiable but his BES may not allow it. Also they could lock down his device at anytime as well.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #20
NaplesBill

Carrier: Alltel

I would agree that most of the time that is true. I really think his best option is to get his BB off of BES and onto BIS.

So basically you are saying that the cellular carriers will now allow you to use both BIS and BES? I was told it had to be one or the other when I moved our Corporate phones to Alltel 3 years ago. Also, when I picked up my Curve(personal use) last week, they also offered one or the other. How would I go about setting up both on my Alltel phone?
Closed Thread