BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
six2one
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 240993fc
Carrier: AT&T/NSA
Unhappy HELP! is anyone having BIS problems with AT&T today? i am!!

Please Login to Remove!

hey guys (and gals), i didn't want to make a separate topic with for this but i would love to get somewhere as fast as possible with this...and the best way is to make a separate topic i think. here is the problem:

EVERYTHING on my curve works EXCEPT the BIS dependent services. i get no email, no pin messages (cant send either) i have full EDGE connection (-94db) it did its ping, i have an ip address, and for blackberry registration i have a NO and for Connected to Blackberry i have a NO, and pin-pin i have a NO (and no for all email accts as well) i also re-sent my service books

i guess my questions are:

is anyone else having problems on att with bis (more specifically curve users)

how can i tell on my end if its my phone or a setting?

is there anything i can do to fix it?

i called att and the lady said "they made changes to my acct and to reboot my phone which im sure was to get me to get off the phone with her.

so....what do the 'berry experts on here have to say?

thanks in advance!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I would resend the service books to your device from the BIS website.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
six2one
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I would resend the service books to your device from the BIS website.
already done that...several times
Old 08-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by six2one View Post
already done that...several times
ah...see that now!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
six2one
Thumbs Must Hurt

the service books come from BIS, correct? i think my problem is i cannot talk to the blackberry server..so resending my service books probably has no positive effect at this point. are there any settings deep in my curve that i can fiddle with to make sure its a BIS problem and not a "me" problem? i haven't changed any settings..just stopped working...also the web doesnt work either..which i think is also a feature of BIS?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

If you can't access the web either then I'd say it's a carrier issue.

Are you on a BES?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
six2one
Thumbs Must Hurt

nope, BIS....i think the problem is out in the cloud somewhere. i can receive/make calls all i want and text messaging works just fine.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
Steve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (AT&T (Cingular) 8100 Pearl: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Battery pull.

Wouldn't hurt to try that.

Steve
Old 08-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
six2one
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Wirelessly posted (AT&T (Cingular) 8100 Pearl: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Battery pull.

Wouldn't hurt to try that.

Steve
done it...several times...its just like it cant talk to the berry server. my data services dont seem to be working...so it can be as simple as that.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Have you called tech support at ATT?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

-94db is not a lot of signal. Can you go somewhere with a better signal?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #12
kashfr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Cingular

I am having the same problem for the second time with my BlackBerry Curve. I resolved this problem when it occured before by going into an AT&T store and getting a new SIM card for my device. I would hate to have to go through these same steps again.

I spoke to technical support earlier and they advised me to reinstall the OS. I am in the process of reinstalling my OS as I type. I will be sure to update this thread if this corrects my problem...

Quote:
done it...several times...its just like it cant talk to the berry server. my data services dont seem to be working...so it can be as simple as that.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 PM   #13
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Are you able to register your device? Click on Options -> Advanced Options -> Host Routing Table. Click menu button and 'Register Now'.

Do you get the registration message in your Messages application?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #14
kashfr

All right. I am here to confirm that updating the OS corrects the connectivity issue we are experiencing. Nothing worked at all in fixing this issue other than updating the OS. No registering host routing tables, hard resets, SIM pull, sending service books, etc...

I just downgraded my OS from the Vodafone down to the AT&T OS. I am about to reinstall the latest Vodafone OS in a few moments.

It sure does suck to have to go through all of this trouble. I would think the average person wouldn't have the slightest idea of what to do if they are ever faced with a situation like this. I guess its safe to safe that the BlackBerry is not a device for the average person...
Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 PM   #15
kashfr

I think I have the simplest solution to our problem six2one. After going back to the Vodafone OS, I had the same problem with my data capabilities once again. This time I resolved the problem by performing a MEMORY CLEAN. If you do not have this feature enabled on your BlackBerry, you might want to enable it in your security settings and perform a memory clean asap...

Once I performed the clean, I saw my lower case edge go back to an upper case EDGE immediately and I started receiving e-mails instantaneously... Give it a try. It shouldn't hurt at all...

Quote:
hey guys (and gals), i didn't want to make a separate topic with for this but i would love to get somewhere as fast as possible with this...and the best way is to make a separate topic i think. here is the problem:

EVERYTHING on my curve works EXCEPT the BIS dependent services. i get no email, no pin messages (cant send either) i have full EDGE connection (-94db) it did its ping, i have an ip address, and for blackberry registration i have a NO and for Connected to Blackberry i have a NO, and pin-pin i have a NO (and no for all email accts as well) i also re-sent my service books

i guess my questions are:

is anyone else having problems on att with bis (more specifically curve users)

how can i tell on my end if its my phone or a setting?

is there anything i can do to fix it?

i called att and the lady said "they made changes to my acct and to reboot my phone which im sure was to get me to get off the phone with her.

so....what do the 'berry experts on here have to say?

thanks in advance!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #16
six2one
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashfr View Post
I think I have the simplest solution to our problem six2one. After going back to the Vodafone OS, I had the same problem with my data capabilities once again. This time I resolved the problem by performing a MEMORY CLEAN. If you do not have this feature enabled on your BlackBerry, you might want to enable it in your security settings and perform a memory clean asap...

Once I performed the clean, I saw my lower case edge go back to an upper case EDGE immediately and I started receiving e-mails instantaneously... Give it a try. It shouldn't hurt at all...
what do you mean by mem clean? wipe the handheld? i see nothing that resembles mem clean besides wipe handheld. ive been running on the vodafone os for days and other than the "i cannot move anything thats not on the home screen" problem its been alright. can you clue me in on exactly what you mean by memory clean?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:33 PM   #17
kashfr

You would have to go into your security options, general settings, enable a password, and make sure content protection is enabled on the device. Come all the way out to the home screen. The Memory Cleaner icon should be on your home screen depending on what theme you are currently using. If it is not there, simply go back to security options and there will be selection for memory cleaning near the bottom of the list. Select the memory cleaning option from the list and click on the menu button once you are in that screen to perform a memory clean now from the drop menu. This should solve your problem as it did for me. Let me know if this works out for you...
Quote:
what do you mean by mem clean? wipe the handheld? i see nothing that resembles mem clean besides wipe handheld. ive been running on the vodafone os for days and other than the "i cannot move anything thats not on the home screen" problem its been alright. can you clue me in on exactly what you mean by memory clean?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #18
six2one
Thumbs Must Hurt

hmm...it seemed to not work for me. i ran it and it did its thing. but i ran the diag test again and i still cant get a connection to anything berry related. i however didnt do the whole downgrading-upgrading thing (please sweet jesus i hope i dont have to) so other than that...i dont know what else to do...this was a good step forward...or at least sideways...i learned something new tonight!!! are you sure you didnt do something else as well (other than the downgrade-upgrade)?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #19
kashfr

Just before I did the memory clean I did go into the host routing table and clicked on register now. I then did a memory clean and voila... There my upper case EDGE was...

You might want to try sending your service books once again, the registering your hrt and then doing a memory clean. I hope this step by step works for you...

From time to time I do have to go into mobile network from my options menu and turn off the data services for a few seconds then I save it and back out to the options menu. I then go back into the mobile network option and enable data services again. This works from time to time for me when I experience data problems...

Quote:
hmm...it seemed to not work for me. i ran it and it did its thing. but i ran the diag test again and i still cant get a connection to anything berry related. i however didnt do the whole downgrading-upgrading thing (please sweet jesus i hope i dont have to) so other than that...i dont know what else to do...this was a good step forward...or at least sideways...i learned something new tonight!!! are you sure you didnt do something else as well (other than the downgrade-upgrade)?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

and pull that battery (while powered) ONE more time.

It's gonna work!
Closed Thread