Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Revamp of the 7100 Series?

Please Login to Remove!

Figured this is the right place to post this. Wondering if anyone else, like me, would love to see something that was a revamp of the 7100 series? I know that a lot of folks will say that the Pearl is just that (suretype and the whole bit), but I'm talking in terms of size. The Pearl is great, and I love mine, but the keypad is SOO much smaller... while I'm fairly proficient on the 8100, something that had a bigger keypad (and bigger screen) but was still suretype would be welcomed.

Am I alone in that? Basically, I loved my 7105t's form factor, but got rid of it because of lack of EDGE and crappy phone performance -- seeing one updated would be great!

-olly
YIM: seattleolly
Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Miro47
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Everybody likes something different. I think the 7100's are going away and I have not seen anything to suggest the larger form will continue in any other model with suretype. I think you will be stuck with the 8100--its not that bad? I like my 7130e but will happily trade it away for any Pearl.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
sprat
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollywompus View Post
Figured this is the right place to post this. Wondering if anyone else, like me, would love to see something that was a revamp of the 7100 series? I know that a lot of folks will say that the Pearl is just that (suretype and the whole bit), but I'm talking in terms of size. The Pearl is great, and I love mine, but the keypad is SOO much smaller... while I'm fairly proficient on the 8100, something that had a bigger keypad (and bigger screen) but was still suretype would be welcomed.

Am I alone in that? Basically, I loved my 7105t's form factor, but got rid of it because of lack of EDGE and crappy phone performance -- seeing one updated would be great!

-olly
not gonna happen
Old 08-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

Get a 7130 - has Edge and 4.2, and the bigger form factor.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
Get a 7130 - has Edge and 4.2, and the bigger form factor.
I thought about that, but as far as I know, no tethering possible which is also a neccessity for me. I realize I'm asking a lot from RIM here (well, I personally don't think I do, but apparently I am lol), but hey, this is the forum for wishlists right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprat
not gonna happen
You seem pretty sure of yourself there sparky, is Jim Balsillie confiding in you now? Anyway, everyone said no blackberry would ever have a camera either, and we all know how that's played out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miro47
Everybody likes something different. I think the 7100's are going away and I have not seen anything to suggest the larger form will continue in any other model with suretype. I think you will be stuck with the 8100--its not that bad? I like my 7130e but will happily trade it away for any Pearl.
I like my Pearl, don't get me wrong... just saying it'd be nice to have something that had a larger screen/larger form factor/larger keypad like the 7100 series. My personal favorite design for a blackberry is the 7130 that VZW offers (I hate CDMA and won't use VZW again though). But you are right, perhaps I'm alone in my wish here!

-olly
Old 08-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

You should be able to get a 7130c, unlock it and tether it with TMo.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (7105t: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
You should be able to get a 7130c, unlock it and tether it with TMo.
John -- I was under the impression that the 7130c didn't have the obex or serial profiles on BT, or is that not correct? Hell I might start looking at them more seriously if my macbook can be tethered over Bluetooth. Thanks!

-olly
Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Its not going to happen. The trackball is RIM's new control paradigm and they arnt going to release any devices without it anytime soon.

Personally I loved the size of the 8700 series, it was quite comfortable to use. Id love to see a camera, wifi, GPS, 3g blackberry in that form factor, there would even be room for a nice 2400mAh battery with room to spare!

Its not going to happen though.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:

-olly
Backward thinking. RIM is looking to cash in on new markets and that isn't going to happen with the 7100 series. That's almost like saying you wished M$ would re introduce Win 95 or Apple to remake the Apple II.
Also the whole reason for suretype was to reduce the size and still have functionality. If you made the device bigger, you might as well use a full keyboard which is what you have with the Curve. It makes absolutely no sense to re introduce the 7100 series form factor.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 08-22-2007 at 10:22 PM..
Old 08-22-2007, 11:20 PM   #10
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (7105t: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ
Quote:

-olly
Backward thinking. RIM is looking to cash in on new markets and that isn't going to happen with the 7100 series. That's almost like saying you wished M$ would re introduce Win 95 or Apple to remake the Apple II.
Also the whole reason for suretype was to reduce the size and still have functionality. If you made the device bigger, you might as well use a full keyboard which is what you have with the Curve. It makes absolutely no sense to re introduce the 7100 series form factor.
For some of us it makes sense from a comfort standpoint. The whole reason I avoided the curve and the 8700 both is that the qwerty is too cramped ... I found the 7100 with suretype to be the perfect size for pounding out massive amounts of email. There are plenty of devices on the market that are bigger than the 7100, and they do just fine.. So saying that it would be too big becomes a bit nonsensical.

Do you want the device? Obviously not, but I'm willing to bet it would sell well.

Oh and I have no objection to the trackball, I actually prefer it, my point was more about the size of the 7100... A bigger suretype device.

-olly
Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 AM   #11
sprat
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

[QUOTE=ollywompus;641647]I thought about that, but as far as I know, no tethering possible which is also a neccessity for me. I realize I'm asking a lot from RIM here (well, I personally don't think I do, but apparently I am lol), but hey, this is the forum for wishlists right?

You seem pretty sure of yourself there sparky, is Jim Balsillie confiding in you now? Anyway, everyone said no blackberry would ever have a camera either, and we all know how that's played out.

ever think that just maybe people on here have reasons for why they say certain things?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #12
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:

For some of us it makes sense from a comfort standpoint. The whole reason I avoided the curve and the 8700 both is that the qwerty is too cramped ... I found the 7100 with suretype to be the perfect size for pounding out massive amounts of email. There are plenty of devices on the market that are bigger than the 7100, and they do just fine.. So saying that it would be too big becomes a bit nonsensical.

Do you want the device? Obviously not, but I'm willing to bet it would sell well.

Oh and I have no objection to the trackball, I actually prefer it, my point was more about the size of the 7100... A bigger suretype device.

-olly
I understand you wanting a bigger device, I just don't think you will ever see it. It just doesn't make business sense for what RIM is trying to do. The whole industry is going small and thin. Palm is learning this the hard way, that a bigger size does not equal sales. They, like you, think that their current large form factor is perfect. Consumers are thinking differently and are leaving the platform in droves for thinner, smaller phones. Read any Palm message board and size is one of the biggest complaints.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I like the 7100 series as well but I think the pearl series is the new 7100 you wont ever see them go backwards.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #14
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprat View Post

ever think that just maybe people on here have reasons for why they say certain things?
Ever think that people on an internet message board are going to be skeptical of the claims of anonymous posters without some previous credibility or credible proof? At least everyone else on the thread gave their reasoning for why it wouldn't happen... that raises them significantly above your post.

-olly
Closed Thread