Old 07-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default Vodafone to overlay Verizon Wireless with GSM and UMTS/HSDPA

Please Login to Remove!

Just some food for thought.

The two largest carriers in Korea are overlaying their CDMA EVDO networks with UMTS/HSDPA, so why not VZW?

Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
fractured
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I am sure Vodafone would love that thought, but cost-wise it would cripple Verizon. Plus, I'm not too sure VZW has enough spectrum to do it. In some markets they are spectrum strapped, to the point that they cannot even launch EV-DO.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I am sure Vodafone would love that thought, but cost-wise it would cripple Verizon. Plus, I'm not too sure VZW has enough spectrum to do it. In some markets they are spectrum strapped, to the point that they cannot even launch EV-DO.
Once they turn off analog it should help with the spectrum, and it's also noteworthy that GSM/UMTS requires less spectrum than EVDO to deploy, so that could be an alternative to EVDO in those areas. Another idea they could consider would be the way that 3 has deployed their networks. 3 deploys only UMTS/HSDPA natively, and relies on other providers (mainly Orange) to provide GSM roaming coverage within the countries that they have networks. So here, for example, VZW could deploy UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900, and use at&t or T-Mobile for GSM roaming coverage in areas where they did not have enough spectrum to deploy GSM/GPRS as well.

Also, I honestly think that Verizon and Vodafone together would have the money to do it.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Once they turn off analog it should help with the spectrum, and it's also noteworthy that GSM/UMTS requires less spectrum than EVDO to deploy, so that could be an alternative to EVDO in those areas. Another idea they could consider would be the way that 3 has deployed their networks. 3 deploys only UMTS/HSDPA natively, and relies on other providers (mainly Orange) to provide GSM roaming coverage within the countries that they have networks. So here, for example, VZW could deploy UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900, and use at&t or T-Mobile for GSM roaming coverage in areas where they did not have enough spectrum to deploy GSM/GPRS as well.

Also, I honestly think that Verizon and Vodafone together would have the money to do it.

Verizon is trying to buy out Vodafone's share...so Vodafone might not even have a say in it anymore
Old 07-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
*&))
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

i don't see any american carrier relying on other carriers within the states
Old 07-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *&)) View Post
Vodafone is not an American carrier. ;)
Old 07-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91

Quote:
what? i have no clue what you were trying to say. but yes, Vodafone bought out A LOT of US carriers to form Verizon. now, Verizon is trying to break free from Vodafone by buying out the remaining 25% share that Vodafone has.

and US carriers rely on each other via roaming agreements. Verizon has a Canada rate plan that has no charges for roaming in canada too, so Verizon (a US carrier) relies on Canadian carriers to provide coverage for their customers in those regions.

i hope i addressed whatever the heck you were trying to say

Last edited by JGBerry; 07-05-2007 at 08:49 AM..
Old 07-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
tomtheguitarguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T Mobility
Wink

Quote:

I am sure Vodafone would love that thought, but cost-wise it would cripple Verizon.

Would serve 'em right for crippling our phones!!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
fractured
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post

Money isn't the problem, spectrum is. Let's say that (hypothetically) VZW was going to transition to GSM/UMTS/HSDPA. In order to not inconvenience their customers, they would have to run all these technologies concurrently, along with regular CDMA/EV-DO, until they overlaid their entire network with GSM/UMTS/HSDPA. Upon doing this, they can then shut down regular CDMA/EV-DO and free up more spectrum. Moreover, they would need hybrids phones that included all those radios. Not to mention, even after they shut down analog in six months, they simply do not have enough spectrum to runs all these technologies simultaneously. UMTS/HSDPA alone is a spectrum hog. VZW going GSM/UMTS/HSDPA is a great dream, but unfortunately that's all it is.

Quote:
...please elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
Verizon is trying to break free from Vodafone by buying out the remaining 25% share that Vodafone has.
Vodafone owns 45%; Verizon owns 55%.

Last edited by fractured; 07-06-2007 at 10:19 AM..
Old 07-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Money isn't the problem, spectrum is. Let's say that (hypothetically) VZW was going to transition to GSM/UMTS/HSDPA. In order to not inconvenience their customers, they would have to run all these technologies concurrently, along with regular CDMA/EV-DO, until they overlaid their entire network with GSM/UMTS/HSDPA. Upon doing this, they can then shut down regular CDMA/EV-DO and free up more spectrum. Moreover, they would need hybrids phones that included all those radios. Not to mention, even after they shut down analog in six months, they simply do not have enough spectrum to runs all these technologies simultaneously. UMTS/HSDPA alone is a spectrum hog. VZW going GSM/UMTS/HSDPA is a great dream, but unfortunately that's all it is.
My original post was not about fully transitioning to a GSM-based system. Rather, it was about an overlay that offered options to customers. This is what KTF and SKT have done in Korea. In fact, they simply skipped the GSM part, and just rolled out UMTS 2100 in the major cities, and are now bringing to the mid-size cities and so on. So obviously we rule out cities where they are strapped for spectrum, but in cities where they do have the spectrum, they could deploy the system.

True, both EVDO and UMTS/HSDPA are 3G technologies, but they both have advantages. EVDO is faster than regular UMTS, and CDMA penetrates a whole lot more area than GSM/UMTS. HSDPA is much faster than EVDO, and the UMTS/HSDPA system does two things that EVDO does not: simultaneous voice/data, and video calling. Options, options, options.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:38 AM   #11
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Die verizon DIE! you and all the ghetto Crippling Demonic Malicious Aristocratic carriers!

Last edited by Galvatron; 07-14-2007 at 07:44 AM..
Old 07-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
Die verizon DIE! you and all the ghetto Crippling Demonic Malicious Aristocratic carriers!
Your mastery of the English language is astounding.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

shocking isn't it?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #14
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Yes, I couldn't believe that you actually made a post that I could read.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #15
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

i have very good mastery of the english language. But when you have big fingers and thumbs (ring size 15) and your typing with 1 hand at 17+ wpm you faster than the machine buffer so you will come out jumbled.

and @ work im swaping between a quad handle bar, keys ,gas caps, gas nozles, blackberry ,and laptop. can you blame me?

Last edited by Galvatron; 07-14-2007 at 03:45 PM..
Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 AM   #16
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
I actually found that thought provoking and entertaining. Quite Lovely

RoC
Closed Thread