Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
serrano_yejo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Network / carrier doubts

Please Login to Remove!

After reading Boy Genius comments about the iPhone one stands out for me...

"When talking on the phone loudly, you can hear your voice "distorting". I secretly kind of wish the iPhone was on the "Can you hear me now" network. Almost. " How do you like your iPhone? : The Boy Genius Report

I am with T-Mobile right now... service is good Around the West Palm Beach county but I have the white pearl I have tried Verizon and is good also... In terms of carrier which is better in all aspects? If I go to Verizon i will try the 8800 from the pearl

Last edited by serrano_yejo; 07-04-2007 at 07:02 PM..
Old 07-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Apple iPhone Review by PC Magazine - Review by PC Magazine

PC Magazine also describe the iPhone having bad audio quality on phone calls. I think this is more of an equipment issue than carrier.

I have an 8800 with AT&T and audio comes thru clrealy.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
4n6doc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by x14 View Post
Apple iPhone Review by PC Magazine - Review by PC Magazine

PC Magazine also describe the iPhone having bad audio quality on phone calls. I think this is more of an equipment issue than carrier.

I have an 8800 with AT&T and audio comes thru clrealy.
Hilarious and insane. They say that the phone has bad audio quality, yet give it a "very good" rating. Everyone's brain has been addled by the hype around this device.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4n6doc View Post
Hilarious and insane. They say that the phone has bad audio quality, yet give it a "very good" rating. Everyone's brain has been addled by the hype around this device.

people are "afraid" to bash the iPhone because it's Apple...duhh

they could have made the iPhone without a screen and "shuffled" the contact list and make it "fun" because you never know who you're gonna call...and people would still be ranting and raving and peeing their pants about getting the device for themselves.

the bad audio quality isn't b/c of ATT, it's the device. they probably didn't put the highest quality of equipment into the mic and speaker, b/c all of the money was pumped into the music player and screen.

also keep in mind...audio quality on bar phones tends to be slightly less than flip phones due to the speaker and mic placements.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

you're with tmobile? KILL YOURSELF!

The Iphone is junk, I had a lengthy hands on with it yesterday, bugged, freezes,
as for the call quality, it's pretty good (for cingular)
Old 07-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Think the question was about quality among carriers. The iphone comment was just a side issue i guess.

Carrier quality depends on area, you need to make sure that the carrier has good coverage in Palm Beach County? Talk to friends and get their opinions on local area.

fyi my hands on with iphone was smooth and good looking but it needs chat and exchange before it really interests me.

Last edited by test54; 07-04-2007 at 10:33 PM..
Old 07-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
Ominx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW

CDMA and GSM use different codecs to translate your voice into a data stream so there will be some definite differences, but they are more than likely subjective. Can you hear the difference between a mp3 and a wma audio file? The same premise applies. There are different compression algorithms happening behind the scenes, but overall, they are pretty comparable.

Generally speaking however, most people seem to think GSM compresses more than CDMA which will result in a slightly more "tinny" sound.

YMMV.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
Flashman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

The voice compression algorithms allow for the signal to degrade quite a bit before a connection is lost/given-up. So the 'quality' of a voice signal will vary quite a bit. I believe I read about 3-4 years ago how the CDMA codecs have a quicker cut off than GSM. Meaning that they cut out while sounding 'better' than GSM will. The tradeoff is that GSM will stay active in a weaker signal than CDMA.

But I'm working off here a 4 year old memory of something I read, maybe some expert can clarify.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
The voice compression algorithms allow for the signal to degrade quite a bit before a connection is lost/given-up. So the 'quality' of a voice signal will vary quite a bit. I believe I read about 3-4 years ago how the CDMA codecs have a quicker cut off than GSM. Meaning that they cut out while sounding 'better' than GSM will. The tradeoff is that GSM will stay active in a weaker signal than CDMA.

But I'm working off here a 4 year old memory of something I read, maybe some expert can clarify.

that's incorrect. CDMA is more likely to hold onto a call when using a weaker signal. it changes the bandwidth to accomodate the weaker signal, thus holding onto a call. this is why you can have a crystal clear convo on 1 bar with CDMA, but with GSM, you can get cut outs with 2 bars

CDMA penetrates buildings better, in addition, when in full signal, CDMA does have better call quality
Closed Thread