BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
sadelb

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Can you use Google Reader on a blackberry?

Please Login to Remove!

I want a good RSS reader for the blackberry and google reader in my opinion is by far the best to organize all of your favorite websites. I was wondering if on the blackberry you can use the google reader as an rss feed that updates frequently. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I use Freerange as the actual reader, but I manage all my RSS feeds with Google Reader. You can configure Freerange to pull its content from Google Reader. From what I could see, there is no mobile app for Google Reader yet. Unless I just missed it.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
cliffr39
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
PIN: ask
Carrier: vzw

I use Google Reader via Browser on the BB
I also have FreeRange, didn't know you could use it with Google Reader.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
cgfj

Model: 8330
Carrier: alltel

I use it everyday on my BB. Just set up your igoogle homepage and add the google reader app to it. When you go to your google personalized homepage on the BB it'll just show up. Works great.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Once you login to your Freerange account, you can go to "Select Provider" on the sidebar. From there you can choose Google Reader and enter your username/passwd for Google.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
cliffr39

Quote:
Originally Posted by he1neken View Post
Once you login to your Freerange account, you can go to "Select Provider" on the sidebar. From there you can choose Google Reader and enter your username/passwd for Google.
I can't find Select Provider in my app (Free Range), nor their website when I log into my account. In their website I only see:
Home
Account (just personal info)
Manage Feeds (only lists the feeds I subscribed to)
Browse Feeds
Import/Export
Nicknames

just saw on their website that there is another "feature" I seem to be missing, anyone have this?:
- Added new "Settings -> Storage Card" that allows the setting of the database to be on an external storage card.

Last edited by cliffr39; 06-13-2007 at 09:45 PM..
Old 06-14-2007, 01:48 AM   #7
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
just saw on their website that there is another "feature" I seem to be missing, anyone have this?:
- Added new "Settings -> Storage Card" that allows the setting of the database to be on an external storage card.
The provider option is on the freerange site, not in the app itself. I don't have the "Storage Card" either. Is that supposed to be in the app?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:56 AM   #8
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Here is what the menu looks like with the provider option:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freerange.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	8421  
Old 06-14-2007, 06:44 AM   #9
jalm1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

I was wondering about this too. when i saw that freerange supported Google i was excited (as i have been using newsgator only for their BB app) but it hasnt been working to well. However, i too can not find the select provider on the side bar either. I have attached the thumbnail from my account. I shot an email to their support a few days ago, no response yet.

How is the Google reader integration? While i am testing the NewsGator app it appears to the a rebranded Freerange app, and their integration with NewsGator works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freerange1.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	8423  

Last edited by jalm1; 06-14-2007 at 06:47 AM..
Old 06-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
bostonnerd

Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalm1 View Post
I was wondering about this too. when i saw that freerange supported Google i was excited (as i have been using newsgator only for their BB app) but it hasnt been working to well. However, i too can not find the select provider on the side bar either. I have attached the thumbnail from my account. I shot an email to their support a few days ago, no response yet.

How is the Google reader integration? While i am testing the NewsGator app it appears to the a rebranded Freerange app, and their integration with NewsGator works great.
Same here. Nowhere to be found.

I have also been using the Newsgator Blackberry app since its Beta. Works extremely well and is quite fast.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #11
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
From the app, there is no difference. But for managing RSS feeds it is much nicer. Once I imported my feeds into Google Reader I did a bunch of organizing I wasn't able to do on the Freerange site. Once it hits the Freerange client, it is exactly the same though.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #12
cliffr39

Quote:

yeah that is how mine looks... no Service Provider. Strange. Going to email them about those two features missing (that and storage on media card)
FreeRange Feedback :: View topic - FreeRange Beta version 2.0.2 released!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #13
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Let us know what you find out. I would be interested in being able to save everything to my media card.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
jalm1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
From the app, there is no difference. But for managing RSS feeds it is much nicer. Once I imported my feeds into Google Reader I did a bunch of organizing I wasn't able to do on the Freerange site. Once it hits the Freerange client, it is exactly the same though.

What do you mean once it hits freerange its exactly the same? does it loose the google reader orginization structure? That was one of the things i loved about google reader (not that newsgator doesnt do that same thing). But google reader just worked better. And i assume the marking as read works just for the syncronization between google and freerange?

Can you star items in freerange RIM and have them be marked as started in google?

Thoes that have the google intergration have you paid for the application? that was my only thought, i didnt want to buy it without testing. but it could be that the test account doesnt allow for the google intergration.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #15
jalm1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Let us know what you find out. I would be interested in being able to save everything to my media card.

This would be great too! i was traveling using newsgator, downloaded about 75% of my feeds (abstracts) and it ran out of menory and wiped all messages and logs. sort of sucked to be begining a day of travel and the email you were going to respond to, or might have needed to look up be gone. Oh, well one can allways boot up the laptop. but being able to store the data on a storage card would be killer.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #16
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
What do you mean once it hits freerange its exactly the same? does it loose the google reader orginization structure? That was one of the things i loved about google reader (not that newsgator doesnt do that same thing). But google reader just worked better. And i assume the marking as read works just for the syncronization between google and freerange?

Can you star items in freerange RIM and have them be marked as started in google?
You don't loose the organization structure which is good, if you sorted everything into folders in Google Reader, you will see the same structure in Freerange on your Blackberry.

As for being able to star items, no way that I can see to do that. The advantage of using Google Reader is minimal, but I use it when I'm not mobile anyway so its nice to have it all managed in the same place.

Quote:
Thoes that have the google intergration have you paid for the application? that was my only thought, i didnt want to buy it without testing. but it could be that the test account doesnt allow for the google intergration.
Yes, I paid for Freerange and have the provider option.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #17
cliffr39

yeah I just got an email from one of the people at FreeRange and the Service Provider option is only available for Paid users. Wish they would make that known on their website... what a tease.

just went to their website, $39.95 for this "full version". no way, I'll just stick with Google Reader via WAP. Good luck to the rest of you.

Last edited by cliffr39; 06-14-2007 at 11:47 AM..
Old 06-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #18
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadelb View Post
I want a good RSS reader for the blackberry and google reader in my opinion is by far the best to organize all of your favorite websites. I was wondering if on the blackberry you can use the google reader as an rss feed that updates frequently. Thanks!
Yes, you can use Google Reader on the BB, the address is:

http://www.google.com/reader/m/view/
Closed Thread