BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
snape
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: vzw
Default Sync & attachment problems - help!

Please Login to Remove!

Environment:

Desktop - Windows Vista Business, Outlook 2007, just 1 desktop - no BES, BB Desktop 4.2.2.14
Handheld - BB 8830 on VerizonWireless, v. 4.2.2.66

Problems:

Calendar sync #1 - entries made on the BB don't sync back to the desktop; desktop-to-BB works fine, and 2-way syncing works OK on all other apps

Calendar sync #2 - at some point, all calendar entries on the BB were duplicated, so now there's 2 of everything; Outlook data is still correct, and no other apps affected

-- Is there a way to clear all of the BB calendar data? If I can get the 2-way sync problem fixed, I don't want to duplicate everything in Outlook.

Attachments - either attachments return error "unrecognized document type", or doesn't act like there's an attachment at all. It may say "1 attachment," but the message icon doesn't show an attachment, and there's nothing in the menu to "open attachment" or retrieve more info.

Aigh! Help! I've searched the BB knowledge base, as well as this forum, but I'm not seeing anything that mirrors the problems I'm having.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Jeff NYC

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Question We NEED Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
Environment:

Desktop - Windows Vista Business, Outlook 2007, just 1 desktop - no BES, BB Desktop 4.2.2.14
Handheld - BB 8830 on VerizonWireless, v. 4.2.2.66

Problems:

Calendar sync #1 - entries made on the BB don't sync back to the desktop; desktop-to-BB works fine, and 2-way syncing works OK on all other apps

Calendar sync #2 - at some point, all calendar entries on the BB were duplicated, so now there's 2 of everything; Outlook data is still correct, and no other apps affected

-- Is there a way to clear all of the BB calendar data? If I can get the 2-way sync problem fixed, I don't want to duplicate everything in Outlook.

Thanks!
I don't know about the attachments issue, but I am having the same headache with the calendar sync. Supposedly all my Outlook Calendar info went into the 8830 correctly, but on second sync it wants to dump in another 2xx odd items that I cannot identify. It completes the sync fine, but I have no idea what I just synced in to the handheld. In addition, changes to the device calendar do not show up in Outlook; but changes in Outlook do show up in the device.

Considering I came over from Win "Crap" Mobile and had nothing but headaches, this is NOT exactly what I bargained for. Very bummed...

Does anyone have some ideas to help out snape and I???

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
snape

Model: 8330
Carrier: vzw

UPDATE

Attachments: According to the VZW technical help desk, the attachment issue centers around the fact that the docs were in Word/Excel 2007. Even items saved as the "Word/Excel 97-2003 compatibility" type won't display if they're saved within Word/Excel 2007. However, I was able to confirm that items generated in Word/Excel 2003 work just fine. PDFs and JPGs are also working OK. RIM is aware of the Office 2007 issue, and identified it at least as early as Apr 16, 2007. They didn't, however, give an ETA for a solution.

Calendar: I wiped my handheld last night and re-synced, so at least I (currently) don't have a ton of duplicate appointments floating around. I'm still not able to sync appointments from the BB to the desktop (desktop-to-BB is OK.) I wonder if that's an Office 2007 problem, too, as I'm using Outlook 2007.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Jeff NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
UPDATE

Calendar: I wiped my handheld last night and re-synced, so at least I (currently) don't have a ton of duplicate appointments floating around. I'm still not able to sync appointments from the BB to the desktop (desktop-to-BB is OK.) I wonder if that's an Office 2007 problem, too, as I'm using Outlook 2007.

Nope, I am using Outlook 2003 and having the same problem. Appts sync from desktop to BB; but not the BB to desktop. Really irritaed that this initial setup is not working better.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:51 AM   #5
tmiles

Model: 9530
PIN: 30C44324

Same issue here with BB calendar not syncing with Outlook. Even though I have data in the BB calendar, when I went to Database Sizes under Options/Status, the Calendar database shows 0/0.0K. Hope they come up with a fix soon.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
forest007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NYC View Post
Nope, I am using Outlook 2003 and having the same problem. Appts sync from desktop to BB; but not the BB to desktop. Really irritaed that this initial setup is not working better.
When I connect my device and run Blackberry desktop manager it looks like the calendar is syncing appts from BB to desktop but when I check Outlook none of the appt are there. Is this the same for you? I have Outlook 2003 and Vista.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
bppilot

This is a known issue and is related to the device software itself. It's not dependent on the operating system or version of Outlook. I've spoken to RIM who has told me that Verizon has the fix and will be releasing it. I've spoken to Verizon who's told me that they are waiting on the fix from RIM.

Time for VZW and RIM to beef up their tech support staff number - when these units hit stores this week, they're going to be swamped with phone calls from people who can't get their units to sync properly.

I think the reason they haven't really noticed the issue yet is that the 8830 has just been being sold through the business channel - many of whom use the Enterprise Server so don't have the issue. Once "Average Joe" gets one though, hold on, it's going to be a royal mess for them with LOTS of frustrated users!
Old 05-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #8
centralparker

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tbaytel

I am having the same Sync problem with BB to Outlook Calendar not working but Outlook Calendar to BB working with random duplicates. In additional I was wondering if anybody has had a problem with the Desktop Manager during syncing? Thanks.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
Tifosi

Default Act Issues as well

I am having the same issue with ACT. You can sync to BB, but not from. Database analysis shows zero entries into the Calendar. All other sync functions work.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
Tifosi

I just got off the phone with an enterprise level BB technician at BB. "This is a known issue, but we do not have a date as to when we will have it resolved."
Old 06-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
JaseOne

Same sync problem here. I just got my first blackberry on 5/31/07. I'm now considering trading this in for an 8703. I too cannot get calendar information written on the bb to sync with the desktop. I tried downloading the service books, but all that did was re-write information on the calendar so now i have copies of appointments. I just did a wipe and hopefully that clears that problem up.

I am starting to wonder, should I just take this back get the 8703? I don't forsee myself going overseas with this phone anyway.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
JaseOne

So I just posted the above message while waiting for my bb to go through the wipe procedure. I downloaded the service books again and synced everything back up again. I then wrote a test appointment on the calendar on the bb. well synced up right with the desktop and did not re copy all the appointments.

So to solve my problem I did a wipe, synced up my info, downloaded the service books, and did a test appointment on the bb and synced it up with the calendar.
Closed Thread