Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
Sleam
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Using 2 phones

Please Login to Remove!

Do alot of people use a normal phone for calls and a blackberry for internet and email/text?

I have verizon V (9800) but interested in getting the blackberry for T mobile.

I was just wondering if people do this and if its a hassle to give out 2 numbers. One for your phone, and the other for text on the BB?

-Sleam
Old 06-04-2007, 04:01 AM   #2
Louise
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2uk

Yes, I do! Had a great contract with o2 before I decided to get a blackberry for email/web but they would have to change my contract if i wanted the blackberry package added on so just decided to get a seperate contract just for the BB!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Some do. I don't as I can't stand carrying multiple devices and part of the point of getting a BB for me was convergence of my cell phone and email/contacts. I already have one BB for work and one for personal use as it is.

Some people carry a BB during the week and then use a cell phone on the weekends. Generally, these people tend to be on GSM networks where they can take the SIM from the BB and stick it in a cell phone and keep the same number but that doesn't sound applicable in your case for a couple of reasons...

Last edited by takeshi; 06-04-2007 at 10:09 AM..
Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I had a regular phone and a BlackBerry. The main reason was I didn't want to carry the BlackBerry on the weekend. Since the BlackBerry slimmed down enought I've consolidated to a 8800. I might pick up an unlock Razr for those days I don't want to carry the 8800.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

I use just one device - 8300 for everything. I found with mutiple devices it was a PITA keeping all your contacts in sync. Now one device that syncs OTA to the exchange server (and hence my laptop) - one set of contacts...

use for voice, email (biz), email (pers), sms (both), pin to pin (both) and IM (pers!), navigation (both), music (pers) and games..
Old 06-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
i-Berry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 1234567890
Carrier: Sprint

I carry a phone and a bb, the phone is on t-mobile and the bb is on sprint. One is strickly personal and the other is strickly business. I try not to ever to mix the two. The personal one is also my home phone cause I refuse to pay for a land line and a cell and the cell is a little cheaper and i can carrie it with me.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

no way, it would make me crazy to carry two devices and deal with two numbers.
BES 4.1
Old 06-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #8
Sleam
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, im a student and i've always been fascinated with the Blackberry.

I was just wondering how it was carrying the BB and a phone

Thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

There are a couple of things to consider when it comes to BlackBerry. Some of us have to carry a Blackberry due to our jobs. So no matter what you do you are not going to get rid of the BlackBerry. So you either make the decision to considate or carry two devices.

The other thing is when a BlackBerry is attached to a Coporate BES everything you do can me audited. I know who you called, when, and for how long.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
Sleam
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah, im just using it for text, AIM, mobile web, email and organizer/calender.

Dont plan on my job monitoring me lol
Old 06-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
i-Berry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 1234567890
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by x14 View Post
The other thing is when a BlackBerry is attached to a Coporate BES everything you do can me audited. I know who you called, when, and for how long.
For me it is not such a matter of auditing it is more I have to carry a BB for work {which I have grown accustom to} and all my friends and family have my personal number it is my home number so I don't want to get rid of it. In addition it is my phone number so no one can take it away [unless I forget to pay the bill for a long time] whereas my company can take away the cell or if I leave it is their cell number.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
ebruder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

I used to carry a Verzion RARZ and a Cingular BB 8700, but since the 8800 has come out, that's all I use. It is convenient to carry and has Voice Activated Dialing (which the RAZR had), which is important to me. The other features, such as GPS, are nice as well. When I carried two devices it was not a big hassle, but carrying one is definitely better for me.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
Hoop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

At my previous job I carried both. I would have preferred not to but through an odd (and useless) quirk of policy, they wouldn't provide a cell and pay for the monthly charges directly, although they did provide a monthly allowance. BB and data plan was provided (required).

At my new (and thankfully much better!) job, they pay for it all and provide it in one device (Pearl).
Closed Thread