Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Flight Attendant with Time Zone Questions

Please Login to Remove!

Preface:

a: I don't know why I felt it was necessary to mention I'm a flight attendant, and

b: I have used the search function in hopes of finding answers to my questions. . .

With that, I have questions:

1. Every non-RIM phone I have owned automatically updated the time on the phone from the network for the time zone in which the handset happens to be. I travel in different time zones a lot (hey - that's why I mentioned why I'm a F/A). In the Date/Time settings, I have "Network" selected as my Date/Time source. The Network Time and Date underneath the line even shows the correct time, for the time zone in which I am currently. How do I get my berry to automatically update the time without my intervention?

2. Sometimes the "EDGE", underneath the signal strength indicator is in ALL CAPS and sometimes not - "edge". Is there a difference?

3. For you casual data users, I'm curious to know what kind of plan you have. I have the T-Mobile BlackBerry Minutes & Mail, which includes unlimited data and SMS, but only gives me 1,000 minutes (NO NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS). $59.99 a month. I think it should do me for now.

I am particularly interested in fixing item #1 from the above mentioned. If anyone has any ideas or advice, I thank you in advance.

Last edited by Hemiolia; 05-05-2007 at 02:10 AM..
Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
l4t13

Model: 8830
PIN: 3183EF95
Carrier: Verizon

I am new so I cant be of much help.

However, I believe I have read that "EDGE" means data is available and "edge" means data is not available.

I have unlimited data and unlimited text. I dont use many minutes.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:12 AM   #3
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

1. : Did you set the Date Time Source: Network? thats should take care of this.

2. EDGE: means you have email and phone access, edge means you have sms and phone access. same way: GPRS: email also gprs: no email .. But phone and text
3. 59.99 is the best for now from BB and I use the same one. my main usage is email and browser and not too much phone.
Good luck and hope this works
Old 05-05-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

The BB does not automatically change time zone setting on the handset or adjust the time display to the new time zone. This must be done by the user. There has been lengthy discussion a number of times so I won't repeat here.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

1. Your BB will not update your time zone change autmatically. You must manually change that at Options > Date.
2. EDGE gives you full data transmission capability, such as for email and internet browser use. "edge" limits you to phone and SMS ability.
3. You have a decent plan, I pay a bit more, but I have unlimited nights and weekends and unlimited TMo to TMo calling.
Good luck, and welcome to the BB Forums.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
There has been lengthy discussion a number of times so I won't repeat here.
WHERE?!?!

All I found (YES, from performing a search) were lengthy discussions about the DST issues.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemiolia View Post
WHERE?!?!

All I found (YES, from performing a search) were lengthy discussions about the DST issues.
I'll try and post link. If it works, try this thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post503965

Edit: Looks like I was able to post the link. CanuckBB has the best summary of the issue, in my opinion.

Last edited by aiharkness; 05-05-2007 at 11:39 AM..
Old 05-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you so much (and for not flaming me). I was searching ONLY the 8100 forums and not the entire site.

Wanna buddy pass? ;)

Last edited by Hemiolia; 05-05-2007 at 11:43 AM..
Old 05-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Blast
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Thank you so much (and for not flaming me). I was searching ONLY the 8100 forums and not the entire site.

Wanna buddy pass? ;)
I do what can I help you with??? *just teasin of course*

Blast
Old 05-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

There's got to be a 3rd party software that takes care of this problem. I'd be willing to pay money for it.

Any ideas?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
Blast
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
There's got to be a 3rd party software that takes care of this problem. I'd be willing to pay money for it.

Any ideas?
working on it.

Blast
Old 05-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
Bennett5000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

When you change the time zone it affects all your appointments, etc and adjust to the new time zone. So be aware..
Old 05-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I think that might be the reason for wanting to change the timezone....to make the appts on the Berry reflect the current zone.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett5000 View Post
When you change the time zone it affects all your appointments, etc and adjust to the new time zone. So be aware..
My use of the calendar is limited to my assignments (flights) I receive from work. All times are adjusted for the time zone in which the the flight departs.

My options now is to adjust the times on ALL of my assignments to reflect the time zone in the city I'm based, OR change my time every time I land, which could be 3-4 different and unique times zones a day.

While I realize this is an extreme case of someone traveling different time zones, it's hard for me to fathom that RIM does not allow its users to customize something as simple as this. At the very least, there should be a way to perhaps automatically update the clock on the main screen without it affecting anything else.

Likewise, I've always kept calendar entries with my previous non-RIM devices with no problems.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I love the phone otherwise and I shall end my rant now!!

Last edited by Hemiolia; 05-05-2007 at 01:47 PM..
Old 05-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #15
Bennett5000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

I always wanted to keep my home time zone appt. in that time zone but change the clock to local time while I was there without changing everything. I got caught on this early on. Maybe BB will do something later..

Could I get another bag of peanuts please? (teasing)..
Old 05-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #16
Mizo

Carrier: Tech Support
Default Time Update

I work as a tech support agent for BBs and as per RIM.

Automatically update the time zone on the BlackBerry device when traveling to another time zone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doc ID : KB11675
Last Modified : 2007-04-03
Document Type : How To

Print this page

Environment
BlackBerry® devices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure
The time zone on the BlackBerry device will not update automatically when travelling from one time zone to another. To manually change the time zone on the BlackBerry device, see KB04943.

No third party software will update time zone as of right now.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #17
alphasports
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers (CAN) / A1 (AUT) / Swisscom (SUI) / T-Mobile (USA)

I also travel a ton and find the BB timezone adaptability to be lacking. I use a little aftermarket app called WorldMagic that allows me to setup 4 different timezone clocks in addition to the "desktop" one. Not a great app but it'll do; there's not much else out there. The big app out there that you might find useful is WorldMate Professional, which features timezones, flight scheds, etc. I personally detest it because it is a subscription-based service, but it seems pretty popular.

I had a Nokia E61 before my Pearl and the one thing I'll says for those Nokia dudes is they do things right in their OS even if it is as sluggish as a tortoise...it had a great yet very simple multi-timezone function, not to mention a great yet simple alarm clock, the 2 BASIC features BB does not have.

Alas, the search for perfection is a road with no end!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #18
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Moto, LG, Nokia, Samsung, etc. - I've had them all. I've ALWAYS appreciated Nokia's attention to certain detail that was not present in other makes. SIMPLICITY and UTILITY is what I've always known Nokia for.

I must admit, this is my first RIM device and there was a substantial learning curve. In other words, all the other manufacuters sorta-kinda has the same interface. A brand new Samsung user can customize every single setting on the device based on his/her sole experience on. . . say a Motorola device without ever having to refer to the manual.

I know quite a few people with Treos, Qs and BlackJacks - and all of their devices update the time according to their location/time zone, DESPITE RIM's purported conflict with calendar entries.

I was supposed to be over my rant too. . .
Old 05-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #19
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

I read the link posted here. I never knew the phone would not automatically change its time when changing time zones (haven't traveled with it). The way I understand it is that if I enter all my appts to start at local time (in different time zones perhaps) and I travel to a different time zone, all I have to do to stay on time for those appts is correct the clock on the phone when I get to the different city. If I'm going NYC and have a conf call in Chicago at 9am (Chi time) it'll notify my at 10am when I'm in NYC (even if my home is LA) as long as I correct the time when I land in NYC?