BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 10:45 AM   #81
kdtjlamb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO
Default New Im Client In Tmo Data Stream....

Please Login to Remove!

OK.... lets try something here.....

I spoke to my TMO and RIM engineers today. They stated that a new version of the IM Client (3.8.0.23) is in the TMO datastream. The device needs to be re-registered on the network in order to pull it down.

To register the device,
Click Tools (wrench)
Click Settings (Dial)
Click into 'Host Routing Table'
Click thumbwheel and select 'Register Now'

(BTW, if you are blocking the IM client via BES policy, the block may no longer work unless you update the signature files with the new IM COD files... we havent tested it yet)

Please post your feedback.....
Old 05-02-2005, 09:18 AM   #82
goblue1969

Model: 7100t
Carrier: verizon

Well, I just re-registered and the new IM client was just downloaded to my phone. Fingers crossed...
Old 05-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #83
sguthartz

Model: 8900
Carrier: att
Default I thought the reboot was caused by dropping it in the toilet

I've had my 7100T reboot at least once per day for the past few months. I had upgraded the OS but I thought the problem was caused by my accidentally knocking the unit into the toilet. I managed to dry it out and get it working but accepted the fact that I screwed up. I guess not. Nice to know you can recover from full immersion in the potty.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #84
mL

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile
Angry Nope!

I had removed the IM app weeks ago and just re-registered which added the "new" IM.

Big old REBOOT at 4:30 today.

THIS SUCKS! Who can I fire?!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:34 PM   #85
bb7100tuser

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Another Possibility

This may be a total coincidence, but I was having frequent reboot problems (and more) until I uninstalled one of the more popular free "powertoy utilities". I don't suspect that the app itself was the problem... rather I'm guessing that the problem was related to the app's interaction with the bb's internet services? Just something else to try for those still having problems.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:34 PM   #86
goblue1969

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue1969
Well, I just re-registered and the new IM client was just downloaded to my phone. Fingers crossed...
I really, really, really wanted this IM fix to work. Well, it almost worked for 24 hours. In the middle of a conference call a few minutes ago with my boss AND a customer, my trusty 7100t rebooted. Perfect timing, old friend.

I don't know what the guy above is talking about in relation to third-party utilities (Powertoy?). I'm not running any third-party software. This phone has a major friggin' problem.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:26 PM   #87
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default Well, this is getting ridiculous:

I just hung up on a long call with a potential client during which the 7100t rebooted TWICE...once I got a message that there was an "Invalid value in the data stream" or something to that effect. After the second crash I decided enough was enough and used my landline.

I LIKE T-MO, I generally LIKE the tech support, but I can't have this. I understand for utmost reliability I should use a land line but cell phones are way cheaper and I can handle an OCCASIONAL glitch in service. My choices are to get an additional cheap phone on my wife's Verizon plan or to pay the T-MO ETF and port my number elsewhere.

I hate to go into a rant but I'm not rich enough to be able to discard one out of every three potential clients.

=NLK=
Old 05-04-2005, 12:08 AM   #88
mL

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile
Angry Suggestions for who to call and pester

Day 2 with the new IM client. Day 2 of reboots. NOTE: The reboots are different. They are faster and seem to come back within 10 seconds. I get a white screen with an hour glass then the call screen and the T has to search for a network and go through the gsm->GSM-gprs->GPRS dance.

I hope the fix wasnt for shorter reboots.

Who can I call and what is the dialog to hammer someone in TMo? I don't want to spend the time to exchange my SIM or phone just to waste time.

I'll call from my land line......
Old 05-05-2005, 06:13 AM   #89
harsaphes

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobil

i am having the same problem. In the middle of a call, suddenly the call goes out, i get the hour glass. I am not using bluetooth. Any ideas if this is going to be fixed?....might be time for a new phone.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:42 AM   #90
68watford

Model: 7100T
Default Still rebooting

As described here i deleted the IM client, since then my number of reboots have reduced but they still happen, although the type of rebooting different.

Previously the phone would lock up or completely lose the signal and the only way to get it running was to wait or force a reset which would take a few minutes, now the hour glass spins and it is ready to go again in 10-20 seconds.

Still looking for a solution..............
Old 05-05-2005, 10:19 AM   #91
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default Just a question...

how many of you experiencing the reboots are using OS 3.8 (or at least not the latest OS)? It's probably not that simple but I've had a couple of issues after upgrading (e.g. buzzing speaker) and am toying with the idea of reverting to 3.8.

I'm also wondering if the reboots coincide with data activity but that still leaves the question of what KIND of data is involved.

=NLK=
Old 05-05-2005, 04:40 PM   #92
kdtjlamb

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

I think its a data deal. It seems that if you block the IM client from your BES server, the reboots seem to subside. I have helped a few companies set up a block policy at the BES and that has stopped the reboots. So it seems that It may not be an issue with the IM client, but an issue with the IM data.....
Old 05-06-2005, 06:52 AM   #93
Feeshman

Default Software Update?

I thought TMobile was going to release a bug fix for this. What's the latest forecast for firmware update release?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:42 PM   #94
mcapiro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Today I had my first reboot in the middle of a call. Also noticed that when the phone rebooted and I placed the call again I got a warning about a minute later that my battery was low (11%) although when I started the call I was at about 56%. The strange thing is that after I hung up, I looked at the phone about a minute later and the batter level was back up to about 50%. Has anyone else ever experienced this or do anyone know if it's related to the reboot or what it could possibly mean?
Old 05-09-2005, 07:08 AM   #95
harsaphes

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobil

just happened again to me this morning. this is really becoming a pain.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #96
creede1

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint
Default IM COD Files

Does anyone happen to have the IM COD files for v3.8.0.23? Ever since TMO released this new version into the data stream, My policy to block IM at the BES server is not working correctly and we are back to droping calls and reboots.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #97
tbdentertainment

At this point I have lost complete confidence in this device. We have not received a reasonable resolve from either TMobile nor RIM in over two months. We have defective devices coupled with the inability to Access our basic phone service free of disruption. Yet we all paid good money for the device and continue to pay for service we are not receiving. Like I said at this point we deserve options, offerings, and specialized support from both RIM and Tmobile. I can't speak for everybody, but I am ready to take this to executive escalations. I would like to think that TMobile would prefer to not lose the lot of us, and same goes for RIM. Despite the fact that I enjoy my device and service when it functions , I cannot deal with this any longer, I need a functioning device, the ability to utilize the services I pay for(like the ability to make a call without getting dropped, to name one), without incurring charges for a new device(RIM or otherwise), delivery charges, early termination fees, continued monthly payments, and no longer expending time and energy that has even greater value.

I am done ranting

Anybody else feel like venting or have further thoughts?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:36 AM   #98
NewBerry05

Unhappy What a welcome

My 7100T is about 6 hrs old and THIS is what I find? Uh oh!!

I was searching for basic info on how to use the thing and, well, here I am. This is rather discouraging. I switched from Sprint and in a few hours of playing with this Blackberry I am VERY impressed feature-wise... but what good is that if it can't hold a call?

Also, I WANT a working IM service.

So this should be interesting. I have a "naked" 7100T... brand new, no additional software, and no BES. If it happens to me, we can rule out additional software and who knows what else.

I'm in my 14-day grace period. I read somewhere else that I must limit my total phone usage to 30 mins for that to be valid. I asked the sales guy about that and he said no, use it all you want, if you want to return it within the 14 days we'll do it. Of course I didnt get that in writing so we shall see.

I dont NEED a Blackberry but the price was right and I am very interested in the features. But if it can't hold calls, there was a cool looking moto....

Wow what a welcome to BlackberryLand... sigh
Old 05-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #99
shall_mn

Default Have 3.80.23 IM client...still rebooting.

This is my 2nd 7100t. Both reboot during calls. My newest phone does have the 3.80.23 IM client on it, and I reboot at least once each day during a call.

TMO played "dumb" when I called them and acted as if they've never heard of the issue.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #100
NewBerry05

Default Who DOESNT experience it?

I am getting pretty discouraged hearing all this, and watching closely for my last day to return the phone.

I do understand, however, that often times in a forum like this we hear MOSTLY about the problems not the successes. Positive posts tend to be about cool software and such -- few people will take the time to post and say hey my 7100 is working great, never reboots, etc.

I saw someone try a poll that got some replies but I'm hoping if we ask here again maybe we can get more.

Are there many people out there that do NOT have this problem? Granted you can't prove a negative but to offset the discouarging "reboot" rants I'm hoping to see people say they have used their 7100 extensively for months with few if ANY reboots.

I mean, is there any hope at all? Am I doomed to love the features, the promise this device offers and live with reboots????
Closed Thread