Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:42 AM   #1
briank555
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t
Default Ripping DvD's for 8100 Question

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I've read all the posts in the Video thread that's stickied but I haven't been able to get this question answered. What is the most simplistic and best way to rip a movie I own so that I can follow the steps in the sticky?

I've seen tons of software to purchase but I'll be the 1st to admit that I'm cheap and I'm sure there's freeware out there that can do it as well. I just need to know what's the best way to rip/convert them to an .avi or whatever is better to then convert them down again for my phone.

I'm working with a 1gig card so I'm hoping to get 1 or 2 movies on there of decent quality. I'm a pretty techy guy but some of the processes and tutorials I've read are well beyond me.

Any advice would be great.. thanks!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
Schneider
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: pearl
Carrier: cingular

first you cant rip a dvd without a program that takes out the protection rights from the dvd, you get get a free program that you can rip the dvd and it takes out the protection rights and then you can convert it to a mp4 and then put it on the pearl
the free dvd rip program is - DVD Shrink, i use it and its simple and good, then to convert your rip dvd to mp4 file you can use Nero 7, i use that also, if you dont have Nero then just download a trial for 30 days and your good.. NERO 7 Download
Nero 7 [Nero 7 Trial]

Dvd Shrink Download
DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15 (freeware)

good luck (:

Last edited by Schneider; 03-14-2007 at 12:56 AM..
Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank555
Ok, I've read all the posts in the Video thread that's stickied but I haven't been able to get this question answered. What is the most simplistic and best way to rip a movie I own so that I can follow the steps in the sticky?

I've seen tons of software to purchase but I'll be the 1st to admit that I'm cheap and I'm sure there's freeware out there that can do it as well. I just need to know what's the best way to rip/convert them to an .avi or whatever is better to then convert them down again for my phone.

I'm working with a 1gig card so I'm hoping to get 1 or 2 movies on there of decent quality. I'm a pretty techy guy but some of the processes and tutorials I've read are well beyond me.

Any advice would be great.. thanks!
Use the free video encoder from Handango Mobile Software - BlackBerry Pearl Downloads - Search, it will rip any dvd. Well its ripped everyone I tried so far. even the one's with Sony's Accros Protection.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
briank555
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, thanks to both of your replies. I've got Nero already for converting it but I'll use what you both offered to see about ripping the movies first. Thanks for the help, I'll post back whether I'm successful or not.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
briank555
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondalegend
Use the free video encoder from Handango Mobile Software - BlackBerry Pearl Downloads - Search, it will rip any dvd. Well its ripped everyone I tried so far. even the one's with Sony's Accros Protection.
Well, didn't have much luck with this program. I ran it and it got probably 15mins in and was scrolling continuously saying duplicate something found and counting out every second then the program (mencoder) crashed with a Windows error... not sure if what I was seeing was correct but I'm going to try the other option listed above with DvdShrink.

Thanks anyhow for the suggestion!
Old 03-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Well, didn't have much luck with this program. I ran it and it got probably 15mins in and was scrolling continuously saying duplicate something found and counting out every second then the program (mencoder) crashed with a Windows error... not sure if what I was seeing was correct but I'm going to try the other option listed above with DvdShrink.

Download this! There are links with in the program that will download dvd shrink and dvd decryptor. Dvd Shrink can no longer handle the new copyright protection by Sony and other companies. Ripitforme works with shrink and removes all copy protection. Shrink then shrinks the video and you use decryptor to burn it, not nero! You can use nero but decryptor is much better for this. Here's the link!
Download RipIt4Me - A freeware utility that helps you backup your copy protected DVDs
Old 03-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
esbe02
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:

After seeing this post, I took a stab at doing this. Good news is that it worked, use dvd shrink to rip the dvd to an .iso file. Once that is finished, use the MenCoder to convert to to pearl .avi format. (its the sticky on the forum on HOWTO:CONVERT VIDEO) I recommend you use dvdshrink to grab just the movie, and all the bonus features/deleted scenes you should remove because if not, the deleted/bonus scenes will be included and I think it plays at random order. For example, I tested BORAT. It worked but the first part of the movie were deleted scenes, so you have to fast forward to actually get the first part of the movie.

Another way that I think would be even better is using RIPIT4ME. This program will rip any write protected dvd out there and gives you the option to rip the main movie only. No special features, menus, etc. I didnt try this way yet, but im positive it works because you can rip it to an .iso file too!

Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbe02
After seeing this post, I took a stab at doing this. Good news is that it worked, use dvd shrink to rip the dvd to an .iso file. Once that is finished, use the MenCoder to convert to to pearl .avi format. (its the sticky on the forum on HOWTO:CONVERT VIDEO) I recommend you use dvdshrink to grab just the movie, and all the bonus features/deleted scenes you should remove because if not, the deleted/bonus scenes will be included and I think it plays at random order. For example, I tested BORAT. It worked but the first part of the movie were deleted scenes, so you have to fast forward to actually get the first part of the movie.

Another way that I think would be even better is using RIPIT4ME. This program will rip any write protected dvd out there and gives you the option to rip the main movie only. No special features, menus, etc. I didnt try this way yet, but im positive it works because you can rip it to an .iso file too!

Hope this helps!
Yeah dude it works, I've been using this for a while! It will rip any dvd!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
briank555
Thumbs Must Hurt

I ended up using DvDshrink to rip just the movie and not the extras, menus, etc. I then used the Blackberry Video to convert and condense the extracted .vob files down to approx 55mb .avi files for my movie. I used Empire Strikes Back as a test and now I have all 5 parts on my phone with a total size of about 245MBs. Not bad and the quality is awesome.

Thanks for all the help. Is there an easy way to make all these 5 .avi files into 1? If not its no biggie, its kinda nice having em seperate but 1 would be best for me.

I should add that I had to use AnyDVD to allow access to the disc removing the restrictions, etc... at least I think that helped.

Last edited by briank555; 03-14-2007 at 12:11 PM..
Old 03-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I ended up using DvDshrink to rip just the movie and not the extras, menus, etc. I then used the Blackberry Video to convert and condense the extracted .vob files down to approx 55mb .avi files for my movie. I used Empire Strikes Back as a test and now I have all 5 parts on my phone with a total size of about 245MBs. Not bad and the quality is awesome.

Thanks for all the help. Is there an easy way to make all these 5 .avi files into 1? If not its no biggie, its kinda nice having em seperate but 1 would be best for me.
Yeah, dvd shrink gives you the option to make an Iso file! After that just run it through the BB Video Converter and it will be one file, not 5!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
briank555
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Yeah, dvd shrink gives you the option to make an Iso file! After that just run it through the BB Video Converter and it will be one file, not 5!
Cool... guess it might help if I actually read the different options in the program. I was kind of in a rush to just see if it would work, now I'll go back and tweak it to what I want. I can't believe the video quality on this device. Even though the video is small, its damn impressive! Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
esbe02
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

I thought at first you said you got five different star wars movies at only 265mb total! I almost crapped my pants! A full length movie should range somewhere between 250 to 300 depending on the movie length.... But yeah... DVDshrink should rip the whole movie as an .ISO file and you should be good with only one file!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbe02
I thought at first you said you got five different star wars movies at only 265mb total! I almost crapped my pants!
lol...
Old 03-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #14
briank555
Thumbs Must Hurt

I must be an idiot because I see no option to rip the movie to an iso. I've searched in all the screens including 'Preferences' and I see no mention of it. I only see an option to uncheck that says to split the files. I unchecked it but then my rip locked up at around 56% because I was doing it with zero compression.

Is there another area that I'm missing. I feel like a retard not being able to figure out something that should be so simple...
Old 03-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #15
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I must be an idiot because I see no option to rip the movie to an iso. I've searched in all the screens including 'Preferences' and I see no mention of it. I only see an option to uncheck that says to split the files. I unchecked it but then my rip locked up at around 56% because I was doing it with zero compression.

Is there another area that I'm missing. I feel like a retard not being able to figure out something that should be so simple...
What are you using?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #16
briank555
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
What are you using?
Sorry, figured by the thread it was implied I was using DvdShrink.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #17
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Sorry, figured by the thread it was implied I was using DvdShrink.
Yeah I thought you were using RipItForMe first though! You have to create a full disk backup, from the drop down menu you can select just iso. Sorry I have not used it in a while so I loaded a dvd and checked!

Last edited by beyondalegend; 03-14-2007 at 05:04 PM..
Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
briank555
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thumbs up

Must have a different version of DvD Shrink then because I don't see any option of this in the program and even on Doom9's Guide, there's no mention of it... oh well, I'm not gonna sweat it anymore. Not that big a deal, I'm fine with having multiple parts as it is.

Thanks again for all your help, truly appreciated!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:39 PM   #19
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Must have a different version of DvD Shrink then because I don't see any option of this in the program and even on Doom9's Guide, there's no mention of it... oh well, I'm not gonna sweat it anymore. Not that big a deal, I'm fine with having multiple parts as it is.

Thanks again for all your help, truly appreciated!
Dude download it from here!
DVD Shrink
Old 03-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #20
Air Force One
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Classified

Well thanks to this thread I've got my first DVD put on my Pearl. The only issue I have is that it's a widescreen(1.85:1) movie and it appears to be stretched vertically, or maybe horizontally, can't tell yet.. Any way to prevent this? I'd rather have black bars than have the screen filled with stretching. I can't handle non-OAR.

Thanks

Last edited by Air Force One; 03-14-2007 at 07:36 PM..
Closed Thread