BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
PIN: 241EBD8C
Carrier: A&T
Default Confusion about update order...(successful updaters please read)

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry I didn't want this to potentially get missed in the main DST Updates thread, and if some folks have already completed a full update of their environment I didn't want this to get buried as I'd really like their input.

There seems to be a bit of contradictory info floating around between RIM and MS on the exact order updates need to be done.

I'm prepare to update our network environment and this is order I have, but I also have questions below(we do not use OWA):

here's the order I was planning to do everything:

1. Update all servers in org.
2. Update all workstations in org.
3. Apply Exchange DST Patch
4. Push out Blackberry DST Patch
5. Apply Exchange DST Patch to BES server(to get correct cdo.dll) iirc
6. Run Exchange Calendar update tool.

With my order I have two questions.
First is #5 correct; and
Second I've read docs that say don't run #6 until your environment has been patched. Now does that mean I can't run the Exchange calendar tool until ALL Blackberrys show that the patch has been installed AND applied? If that's the case What would be harmed by just pushing out the Blackberry patch as step #1 since that can take up to 4 hrs to go out?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
technickel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

I am surprised this is not the hot topic.

We have a similiar dynamic envorment but nowhere can I find the order and dependancies for the two.

1. Update all servers in org.
2. Update all workstations in org.
3. Apply Exchange DST Patch
4. Apply Exchange DST Patch to BES server
5. Push out Blackberry DST Patch
6. Run RIM Send as Tool
7. Update CDO on BES then register it.
8. Run Exchange Calendar update tool.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah I'm not sure why this hasn't been the focus of conversation either... we're doing our updates this Sunday so hopefully I'll have heard from someone who has successfully patched their entire environment and find out what order they did it by then.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus

I'm thinking it makes sense to patch the BB's first or making it #3 on the list.. That way they're ready when the Exchange patch is applied to both Exchange/BES and the calendar tool is run.

Then again, who really knows
Old 02-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus

Here's one for you. I just got off the phone with t-support, for another issue unrelated to DST. Anyways, I got my issue resolved and I asked him if I could ask a DST question. He said yes so I asked him does it matter at what point we patch the devices. He said no. I asked him if I could patch it before i did any updates to exch or bes and he said yes. I asked him if I could patch it after running the updates to exch and bes he said yes.

I'm not sure he is right or that he knew what he was talking about wrt DST.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Interesting... and the confusion circle deepens. ;)
Old 02-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
kpoland
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalstu
Here's one for you. I just got off the phone with t-support, for another issue unrelated to DST. Anyways, I got my issue resolved and I asked him if I could ask a DST question. He said yes so I asked him does it matter at what point we patch the devices. He said no. I asked him if I could patch it before i did any updates to exch or bes and he said yes. I asked him if I could patch it after running the updates to exch and bes he said yes.

I'm not sure he is right or that he knew what he was talking about wrt DST.
From what I understand, the only thing that matters is you HAVE to patch Exchange IMMEDIATELY after you patch the server it resides on, otherwise the Calendar entries will be wrong.

The Calendar Update tool should be done last, as it fixes entries that may be wrong after the patch.

Everything else just needs to be done before March 11th.
"Sink or Swim" Educated
Old 02-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks kp, I just got off the phone with RIM and they said yup you can push the patch out at any point during this just make sure to patch the servers immediately as close to each other as possible to prevent folks making calendar entries in between the time the Exchange Server is patched and the BES is patch which could make things hairy.

Actually that confirms what MS has been saying in their docs all along you don't want alot of time to expire between the various server/exchange patches.

The only thing I'm still not sure about is does the Exchange Calendar Update tool have to be run after ALL handhelds have been actually patched and they show the status of patch applied? I don't know much about the tool so I don't know if you can specify who its run against.

Last edited by DarienA; 02-28-2007 at 04:45 PM..
Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
swinter
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Actually, in the RIM docs it is recommended to run the setsendaspermission tool before updating the CDO.dll (the exchange patch)
I actually followed this procedure and have had no problems with users not being able to send email. It might be important, it might not. This is what I did:
1. Update servers
2. Update workstations
3. run setsendaspermission tool on exchange server
4. exchange patch on exchange
5. Exchange patch on BES (make sure the CDO.dll registers)
6. run calendar update tool.
7. Push out patches to handhelds.

I had a problem with the exchange server OS (server 2000) and updated it with the TimeZone update tool (GUI)
the time zone didn't register until I went into date/time and reselected my time zone. Other than that little gem, I have had no problems.
A little testing has shown it doesn't really matter if the calendar update tool is run before or after the patch has been pushed out to the handhelds, but it does need to be run.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well I don't believe I have to run the set send as permission tool because before all of this MS also publish a preparatory doc that walked you through how to assign besadmin to each of your blackberry users and give it those rights, which I did a few weeks ago. The only folks who have new issues are the 3 of us who are domain admins, but thanks to this forum I was given the command I need to run to give besadmin send as rights on our accounts.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #11
Deftonesman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7750
Carrier: telus

I just did the damn update to my exchange server and all my send as persmissions are fine, but my BES server will not start, the service just hangs.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
Legros
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Telus/Bell/Rogers

Ok. So i guess i'm ****ed up. We are with Groupwise here. About the same things to do than for exchange:
1. Update servers
2. Update workstations
4. patch on groupwise
??5. Exchange patch on BES (make sure the CDO.dll registers)?? Didnt see anything for a gw patch on the BES
6. run calendar update tool.
7. Push out patches to handhelds.

My biggest problem is that the GW patch was available just yesterday.. So some of my Blackberry are already patched and my calendar for the new dst period are already 1 hour ahead... Patching and running gwcheck dont resolve that. Anyone had this situation and found a way out?
Closed Thread