Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
briank555
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t
Default Indoors vs Outdoors

Please Login to Remove!

Now first, I know that the purpose of GPS is to locate and assist you in getting from one spot to another. I'm basically looking for a fundamental explanation as to how GPS, or rather, how GPS on a phone works compared to normal systems.

My understanding is that the technology is line-of-site based. Is this the same for the 8800? Meaning, do I need to have my BB out in the open, pointed a certain way to utilize this service? I have BB Maps and GPS working, in a very limited way but I wonder if it will still function when I'm in my car and the signal is being blocked from the car, etc.

So I assume that while indoors, you won't get any response from GPS because its inside, but again I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong here.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
bollar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank555
Now first, I know that the purpose of GPS is to locate and assist you in getting from one spot to another. I'm basically looking for a fundamental explanation as to how GPS, or rather, how GPS on a phone works compared to normal systems.

My understanding is that the technology is line-of-site based. Is this the same for the 8800? Meaning, do I need to have my BB out in the open, pointed a certain way to utilize this service? I have BB Maps and GPS working, in a very limited way but I wonder if it will still function when I'm in my car and the signal is being blocked from the car, etc.

So I assume that while indoors, you won't get any response from GPS because its inside, but again I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong here.
GPS receivers work best when they're outdoors. Some receivers are very sensitive and they'll work while indoors, especially if you're just in a wood frame house. Most receivers will not work at all in an office building -- definitely not if the glass is shielded.

Generally speaking most GPS receivers need 35-45 seconds to get a fix from a cold start. This can be augmented by data provided by cell towers (supposedly the 8800 does this) to get a cold fix in under 6.5 seconds.

Your body can shield the antenna from GPS signals, so it works best if away from your body. Once the GPS has acquired a position, its need for constant satellite access is greatly reduced and you will probably get good results while clipped to your belt, sitting in a car seat, etc.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollar
GPS receivers work best when they're outdoors. Some receivers are very sensitive and they'll work while indoors, especially if you're just in a wood frame house. Most receivers will not work at all in an office building -- definitely not if the glass is shielded.

Generally speaking most GPS receivers need 35-45 seconds to get a fix from a cold start. This can be augmented by data provided by cell towers (supposedly the 8800 does this) to get a cold fix in under 6.5 seconds.

Your body can shield the antenna from GPS signals, so it works best if away from your body. Once the GPS has acquired a position, its need for constant satellite access is greatly reduced and you will probably get good results while clipped to your belt, sitting in a car seat, etc.
Well said - this is very accurate. People who don't have this working yet should follow this advice. If you don't lock outdoors try pulling the battery outdoors and let it reboot.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
briank555
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollar

Oh ok, so in theory, I should be able to take it outside and secure a lock to a satellite and then move around as normal without much issue? So if I'm inside my car with my BB on the seat or in the center console, it should work as intended and work fine?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
bollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank555
Oh ok, so in theory, I should be able to take it outside and secure a lock to a satellite and then move around as normal without much issue? So if I'm inside my car with my BB on the seat or in the center console, it should work as intended and work fine?
That's right.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 AM   #6
chris716
No longer Registered.

Carrier: tmobile

yea thats right
Old 02-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
Walt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

My 7100i BB with MapQuest Navigator locks on in my house. I didn't think it would do that. TeleNav wouldn't lock on unless I was right at the window or outside. Anybody know why the difference?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:40 AM   #8
bollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt
My 7100i BB with MapQuest Navigator locks on in my house. I didn't think it would do that. TeleNav wouldn't lock on unless I was right at the window or outside. Anybody know why the difference?
I would speculate that the antenna is smaller and not positioned as well as the dedicated device.
Closed Thread