Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT
Default Desktop Manager doesn't recognize Sandisk 1GB card

Please Login to Remove!

whats the trick to get this card to show up in desktop manager?
Old 12-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
bikedogrun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2
Hmm ... if you've installed BB Device Mgr and Desktop Manager on your PC from the CD that came with your Pearl, everything should work.

We assume you've re-booted both devices since installing everything? It is definitely a 1GB microSD and not a 2GB card (which require a newer version of s/w LATER THAN 4.2.0.42)???

/BD
Old 12-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
fkjr2

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedogrun
Hmm ... if you've installed BB Device Mgr and Desktop Manager on your PC from the CD that came with your Pearl, everything should work.

We assume you've re-booted both devices since installing everything? It is definitely a 1GB microSD and not a 2GB card (which require a newer version of s/w LATER THAN 4.2.0.42)???

/BD

yes its 1gb, yes rebooted.

When I connect with desktop, the pearl gives me a pop up message asking if I want to use it as mass storage, I say yes.

A folder on the desktop pops up with file folders in it. Nothing shows up under bb desktop software manager though.

Also, I tried copying files to micro card thru windows desktop but they don't show up on pearl.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Question, did you format it first? if not go to options, Adavanced, Media Card and format it from there. I had the same issue and once I formated the card all went well.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2
I thought when you set up the Pearl's MicroSD chip to operate in mass storage mode, that the chip no longer shows up in Desktop Manager.

You don't want to do that anyway since transferring files via DM is way too slow.

As to the Windows XP not showing the folders on the chip, do the battery reset so that on reboot the Pearl will create the default folders: Music, MP3, Videos, Pictures, Ringtones. After that you can transfer files with copy and paste via XP Explorer.

Make sure your chip settings on the Pearl are correct too.

To set the Pearl up to use the MicroSD card:

<settings>

<advanced options>

<Media Card>

Turn <Media Card Support> to 'on'

Turn <Mass Storage Mode Support> to 'on'

Set <Auto Enable Mass Storage...> to 'yes'

click <escape> key [key to right of trackball] to get to <save> option

Scroll to 'yes' and click trackball to save the settings.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 12-23-2006 at 07:27 PM..
Old 12-23-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
aamato
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I think you need to answer no or ignore the question on weather to turn mass storage on.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #7
SanFrancisco

PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamato
I think you need to answer no or ignore the question on weather to turn mass storage on.
That's correct, you can choose to NOT "turn on" or "activate" the chip. In those circumstances the chip will be recognized in Desktop Manager.

But like I said, transferring files via DM is painfully slow. At least from what I experienced.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:00 PM   #8
bikedogrun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamato
This is not correct. On my Pearl, I can see & access the microSD card from BOTH Desktop Mgr "and" from Windows Explorer.

The way to decide; for any specific connection session, is that when you first plug your phone into the USB cable (I keep the USB cable always connected to my laptop USB port) and you get the prompt on your Pearl about Mass Storage Mode being activated is to "ignore the message ... do NOT provide your device password on the Pearl"! Then bring-up Desktop Mgr and once active, you can see your microSD card from the Desktop Mgr window.

I do agree with the previous posters that MSS mode from Windows Explorer is "by far" the better/faster way to mange your MP3/video/picture etc content on your storage card.

/BD
Old 01-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #9
Bone_Daddy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Windows Explorer is much faster to transfer my video files. My questions is, once I turn off the MMS mode, will I be able to find my files? As of now, I have had some difficulties.

Bone
Old 01-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I finally got my 2Gb card tonight....Here's what I did and I can see it in Desktop Manager and Windows with no problem and have already transferred m4a's with no problem.

Before inserting the new card:
Under Options >Advance Options >Media card:
Media Card Support: On
Encryption Mode: None
Mass Storage Mode Support: On
Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Yes

Inserted Card, rebooted.

Went to Options >Advanced Options >Media Card >Menu key >Format card.

Plugged in to computer, windows recognized the drive. The previous step formatting wrote all the BB directories to the card, i.e. Music, Pictures, etc.

Opened DM >Media manager. Computer files on the left, device memory on the right. Moved all my pics from device memory on the right to the appropriate folder on the card drive on the left.

Used windows explorer to place iTunes m4a album folders into the music folder on the card.

Unplugged device.

Went to Media player, played the music.

Worked flawlessly! Now if it were only possible to get the iTunes purchased music to transfer so easily....that's for another post, another forum, though.

Keep in mind that in mass storage mode, you'll not be able to see the card from the BB when it's connected.

Last edited by John Clark; 01-06-2007 at 11:46 AM..
Old 01-06-2007, 04:15 AM   #11
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS
Carrier: at&t

Great info SanFrancisco and John Clark!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #12
acmegumbo

Model: 9000

Despite following John Clark's instructions I still do not see the media card in Windows Explorer's My Computer. I do have a few photos and ringtones on the media card which I can see only when the Pearl is not connected via USB. That is, when the Pearl is not connected to the computer via USB, I can go to Media/Pictures and see a folder for Media Card and several .jpg's I moved there; same with a couple ringtones. When I connect USB, I see only folders for Up, Preloaded Media and Device Memory. Since I cannot see the card in Explorer I cannot get files from computer to card. Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #13
acmegumbo

Also, when connected via USB, when I go to Advanced Options > Media Card (where Media Card Support is On; Encryption is None; Mass Storage Support is On; Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected is Yes) I see, "The media card is not available because Mass Storage Mode is in use." When I disconnect the Pearl from USB, instead of the above quote I see entries for Total Space 982.24MB and Free Space: 981.32MB.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #14
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

It seems that you trying to access the media card from the Pearl when it is actualy conected and being used by something else. The way teh pearl works (and many others) if you are acessing the card from another devie then it is not available for the device that it is in. Now a question, can you expolore the card from within windows under a drive letter in your computer? if you go to desk top mamager start it up and then go media manager can you see from there the card and its contents? The botom line the card can be accessed by one source and that is the PC when connected and the Pearl when not connected.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
acmegumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1khal
It seems that you trying to access the media card from the Pearl when it is actualy conected and being used by something else. The way teh pearl works (and many others) if you are acessing the card from another devie then it is not available for the device that it is in. Now a question, can you expolore the card from within windows under a drive letter in your computer? if you go to desk top mamager start it up and then go media manager can you see from there the card and its contents? The botom line the card can be accessed by one source and that is the PC when connected and the Pearl when not connected.
Thanks for responding! When connected via USB I cannot see a drive letter for the card using Windows Explorer. When connected via USB and I run Device Manager there is a long pause while "Email setting: connecting to messsaging system" appears (I am using a laptop at home; when at work I am connected to a wired network on which our BES resides if that makes a difference). After that pause while in DM I select Media Manager; I then see a left screen or panel with my desktop and a right screen which says, "No device connected." When I disconnect and reconnect the USB, in the right screen I see My Blackberry at the top and in the lower portion I see Device Memory 19.0MB; 9.44 Free; Internal Device Memory file.

So, looks like neither WinExplorer nor DM/Media Manager can see the card.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #16
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmegumbo
Thanks for responding! When connected via USB I cannot see a drive letter for the card using Windows Explorer. When connected via USB and I run Device Manager there is a long pause while "Email setting: connecting to messsaging system" appears (I am using a laptop at home; when at work I am connected to a wired network on which our BES resides if that makes a difference). After that pause while in DM I select Media Manager; I then see a left screen or panel with my desktop and a right screen which says, "No device connected." When I disconnect and reconnect the USB, in the right screen I see My Blackberry at the top and in the lower portion I see Device Memory 19.0MB; 9.44 Free; Internal Device Memory file.

So, looks like neither WinExplorer nor DM/Media Manager can see the card.
Once you connect the BB, you will see and onscrean option where it prompts you to say yes or no to activate the mass storage device, you need to say yes.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #17
acmegumbo

Quote:
Once you connect the BB, you will see and onscrean option where it prompts you to say yes or no to activate the mass storage device, you need to say yes.
When I connect the Pearl to the computer view USB I see no such option. Also: 1) In Options > Advanced Options > Media Card, Media Card Support is ON; Mass Storage Mode Support is ON; Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected is Yes.
2) As noted previously, when I unhook USB and go to Media on the BB I see Media Card folders for the .jpg's I have uploaded to the card and the ringtones I have downloaded to the card.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #18
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
When I connect the Pearl to the computer view USB I see no such option. Also: 1) In Options > Advanced Options > Media Card, Media Card Support is ON; Mass Storage Mode Support is ON; Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected is Yes.
2) As noted previously, when I unhook USB and go to Media on the BB I see Media Card folders for the .jpg's I have uploaded to the card and the ringtones I have downloaded to the card.

This shows on the BB screan the second you plug your BB to the PC. You will get a white screen which asks you that question. Choose yes from there.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #19
acmegumbo

Quote:
This shows on the BB screan the second you plug your BB to the PC. You will get a white screen which asks you that question. Choose yes from there.
Not so. When I connect BB to computer via USB I get no white screen; nada; icons and main screen remains. I get a couple beeps from the computer typical of sensing a USB connection but that's it. As noted above, when connected with USB the media card is not available in Media; when not connected it is.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #20
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Not so. When I connect BB to computer via USB I get no white screen; nada; icons and main screen remains. I get a couple beeps from the computer typical of sensing a USB connection but that's it. As noted above, when connected with USB the media card is not available in Media; when not connected it is.
OK, go to options, advanced, media card and select. Make sure that it shows M. C. Support is set to on, Mass storage mode support to on, and the Auto enable Mass Storage When Connected is set to Prompt.