BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #21
Krissy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100!
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Donny Osmond runs one at his house, if he can do it you can do it ;)
Old 10-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #22
lieb39
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: Vodafone AU

Haha - okay. Question than - what is the 'status' suppose to be when a user is not assigned to a blackberry, just an (exchange) account? Because mine just says initializing... Is this an issue?

Cheers
Old 10-18-2006, 10:20 PM   #23
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

It should list [SERVERNAME] Initializing, correct. It's not an issue unless you think you should be activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aau007
I think you guys are scaring him with the MSDN licensing lingo. As long as he can substantiate that this is a test environment, he should be fine. Just keep in mind though, MSDN software only give you 10 installs for the license key.
Exchange, as well as Live Communications, etc. are different. Anything open to the real world is not considered Test/Dev, not even if that's what their purpose is for. The second the Exchange environment is open up to inbound or outbound email, external to the LAN, then it is considered a Production environment. It's stupid, and why they allow you to do so is beyond me, but that's just one of the many negatives associated with the Microsoft Licensing web of fun. What I quoted in my initial response is direct from the MSDN licensing FAQ.

...as mentioned, I could care less and doubt the kid will ever even see the light of day from Microsoft. Trust me, I, of all people, could care less about a home user using pirated, non-licensed or mis-licensed software (although I do have a different opinion about corporations who can actually afford it).

If I have time, I'll install a test environment at the house and play around with it a bit, from ground up. I may have to go the virtual route, though, but who knows... Are you using the BES Personal Edition (or Express or whatever the hell it's called now)?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #24
Littlelegs

Model: 7520

I too run a small scale Exchange 2003 and Small Business BES and had no problems with set up other than finagling my Exchange ports until I changed ISP's. I was even running for a time with a dyndns address that sometimes croaked - my SRP has not been disabled from not being able to contact my BES server (lucky me )
Old 12-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #25
danielccc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Telstra
Default Ok

Thanks for all you posts Jibi. Now go back to supporting the plebs BB's if your not going to be helpful. I run a BES 4.1 With Exchange Test environment at home and it works great.

Lieb... make sure you have created the BESAdmin user and have followed the prpoer install and setup directions as most people get lost in the specific BESadmin user settings and so on. If you need further help with this I would be happy to help. Also I use Vmware and have noticed it's an improvement. There is no down side to doing it and on the plus side VMware is free now for Server Version

Last edited by danielccc; 12-19-2006 at 09:16 PM..
Old 12-20-2006, 12:26 AM   #26
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielccc
Thanks for all you posts Jibi. Now go back to supporting the plebs BB's if your not going to be helpful. I run a BES 4.1 With Exchange Test environment at home and it works great.
Jibi is one of the most helpful individuals on this forum. His posts are informative, straightforward, and always helpful. I wouldn't go flaming someone who's many posts have helped so many, including myself. He puts a lot of time and effort in to the stickies he's created as well as his regular posts and is always helping make BB's more useful to those on this forum. His post count should speak for itself and if you were to read his posts you'd find he is one of the most valuable members (and, in case you didn't notice, a Moderator!) of this forum.
Closed Thread