BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:19 AM   #41
gdhammond

Model: 8100
Default Plantronics Discovery 655 vs. HS-655

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know if there are any significant differences between the Plantronics Discovery 655 and the upcoming HS-655 (other than color)? The HS-655 is supposed to ship on 12/15/06, according to BlackBerry's web store. The HS lists for $140, while the street price of the Discovery is in the neighborhood of $60. Could BlackBerry and Plantronics really have improved the HS so much that it warrants the additional $$$? Is it likely that BB worked with Plantronics to "optimize" the HS to work better with the Pearl?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:21 AM   #42
srotman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhammond
Does anyone know if there are any significant differences between the Plantronics Discovery 655 and the upcoming HS-655 (other than color)? The HS-655 is supposed to ship on 12/15/06, according to BlackBerry's web store. The HS lists for $140, while the street price of the Discovery is in the neighborhood of $60. Could BlackBerry and Plantronics really have improved the HS so much that it warrants the additional $$$? Is it likely that BB worked with Plantronics to "optimize" the HS to work better with the Pearl?
I'm actually using the BlackBerry HS-655 headset now. have been for about 2 weeks. me and a buddy found a guy selling the "sample" ones he got at the RIM launch party for the pearl. and all i have to say about it is... "YUCK!" it's nice that it has "BlackBerry" written down the side. but thats about it!

i am NOT a fan. im coming from using 3 different nokia bt headsets (all which suck btw) and 4 different sonyericsson models (which i LOVE!). i have to say my SE akono 660 beats the pants off the BB hs-655. ive had lots of trouble with the "static" / "crackling" sound that some people have mentioned with other brands of headsets. also it seems to take WAY too long to connect to the phone. (a good 10 seconds before it establishes connection). i dont know what other people can say about other branded bt headsets with the pearl, but coming from the SE 660, i just tapped the call button and the lady came on to ask what voice command i wanted to give. but with the hs-655 i have to hold it for maybe 2-3 seconds until i hear a beep from the headset, and then wait for the phone to register what im asking it to do. so thats a downgrade in my books.

lastly, i know the plantronics comes with the AA battery pack to charge your headset on teh go (or im pretty sure it does) and the BB branded one does NOT. the bottom piece off the headset holster does come off though, so you could buy a plantronics AA adapter for the 655 and use it on the BB branded one.

all in all, unless BB updates the firmware on the pearl (yet again) so that it interacts with the hs-655 MUCH better than now (im running the .67 telefonica so nothing newer as of yet), then i would 100% recommend an SE akono line bt headset over any other one ive tried so far. the nokias that i tried were hs-11w, bh-200, bh-800 and i was very much unhappy with those compared to the SE's as well.

im not an SE fan at all. just want to make that clear. BUT when it comes to their headsets (which for some reason are almost impossible to find retail - ebay it is!) they make a darn good product!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #43
gdhammond

Thanks for your great, detailed input on this! I've only had my Pearl (with T-Mobile) for a couple of weeks, and already, I am totally sold on it. Now, I'm looking for the right BT headset, offering seamless integration with the Pearl, and a lightweight (and hopefully not overly geeky) design. Your recommendation of the Sony-Ericsson headsets, based on your personal experience with them, is most appreciated.

Having used other Plantronics products with great success, I am disappointed and surprised to hear that their BT headsets (at least, with the Pearl) are less than satisfactory.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #44
Nucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: Its a personal identification #
Carrier: at&t

I am a fan of the Motorola headsets. I think they make a quality product, not so much for the cheap piece of crap i bought on eaby that came china post, but the one i returned it for at the local corporate cingular.

it was a H350. It is Bluetooth 2.0 and works like a charm. Connections speeds are fine. If you cant wait a sec for you phone to connect to a headset than take the headset off, or you should have though about calling who ever a min ago instead.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:56 PM   #45
Baba

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Bluetooth headsets...not

I've tried all the bluetooth headsets and I think Bluetooth technology is overated. Wired headsets are still the best and nothing beats The Boom. They are already on their second generation and no headset either wired or Bluetooth comes close. Since I live in southern California and hence my car, my Boom is always tethered to my Blackberry while I drive. And callers on the other end can't tell I am in the car and most think I'm calling from a land line.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #46
SirCharles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba
I've tried all the bluetooth headsets and I think Bluetooth technology is overated. Wired headsets are still the best and nothing beats The Boom. They are already on their second generation and no headset either wired or Bluetooth comes close. Since I live in southern California and hence my car, my Boom is always tethered to my Blackberry while I drive. And callers on the other end can't tell I am in the car and most think I'm calling from a land line.
can you give some more info about the "Boom". You say it's a wired headset?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #47
bifster
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: rogers

I hate wired headsets - always tangled up & a pain in the car. I have tried the Motorola 850 & the one I use now - nXZen by Gennum 5500 plus. It is awesome. Has noice canceling, different ear buds & software. I actualyy have 2 - one is for my 8100 & the other for my Uniden bluetooth office phone. I know it's expensive ($200 Cdn) but I look at it as a tool for my business - voice command on cell triggers nicely from pinching the sides - opens a line on my business line. I can use both without interference.

I used to use only one but love having a backup.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #48
celltechy

Model: 8700
Carrier: att

Hmmm. Srotman your post is interesting. I am new to blackberry but I have used a moto hs850, 645 and now the BB 655. I have to say that this headset is the best I've ever used. I made sure I got it right away. A bunch of websites were out of it but I finally found it at BlueHeadsets.com. He is a lot cheaper than most anyways. I dont know why you have so much trouble with it though. I am in love with it!
Old 12-09-2006, 02:02 AM   #49
Plinkerton
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130c
Carrier: AT&T

I've been having a strange problem with a Motorola H700.

It connects perfectly, and very quickly, and I can use all the functions on it, but the voice will only come thru the headset for very short spurts.

It will connect, and I'll dial, and the first second I'll hear thru the headset, then it changes back to the phone. The bluetooth icon goes away, and it goes back to the phone icon.

But, I can still hang up using the headset, so it's still connected.

Anyway, I'm attributing it to the weird anomalies that the 7130c and the H700 seem to have while working together, and I'm going to go to the Cingular store, and try a few other H700's out until I find one that works because maybe there really was a "bad batch".

Any ideas?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #50
srotman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by celltechy
Hmmm. Srotman your post is interesting. I am new to blackberry but I have used a moto hs850, 645 and now the BB 655. I have to say that this headset is the best I've ever used. I made sure I got it right away. A bunch of websites were out of it but I finally found it at BlueHeadsets.com. He is a lot cheaper than most anyways. I dont know why you have so much trouble with it though. I am in love with it!
celltechy, the unit i have is a sample unit that was released back in sept/oct directly to RIM employees for trial purposes. its very possible that the software in the headset has since been vastly improved, something i truly hope is the case.

im glad to head youre happy with yours. at least that shows signs of improvement since the initial release that i got. i just hope that this actually is the case. i do still stand behind my comments however that this model doesnt stand a chance against the SE models ive tried.

im going to contact plantronics to see if i can get an updated replacement or if theres a way to upgrade the internal firmware. i find the pops/hisses/crackling to be quite annoying sometimes. and i HATE the built in AVL!!! i understand its for health purposes that you cant turn the volume up to high, but when im on the road it just doesnt cut it.

i assume however you still have the delay, like me, of having to hold the call button, wait for a beep and then wait for the voice prompt. something that is very poorly designed. should be a simple tap and prompt away. right now tapping my call button does.... nothing!? what a waste.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #51
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

I bought the BB HS-655 a couple of weeks ago and it is BY FAR the best headset I have owned. I am not having the delay Srotman experiences, it is light and easy to wear, and sound is cystral clear. Yes, I am careful with my ear buds; I have heard about that problem, but to date, have not experienced it.

The volume stays at the "set level" between pairings (not all headsets do this) and it quite sufficient.

Srotman, I think you are correct; your pre-production unit isn't up to the standards of the model that is being sold.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #52
gusmack

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT Wireless
Smile Second that. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieH
Moto HS820 works perfectly (including voice dialing) with my Pearl.

I've had no problems with mine either.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #53
Dark Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCameron
I am doing the research for my husband as I gave him the pearl because of too many problems I had with it and just dont need to deal with them.

He is still having connection problems with his Jabra BT250 headset. It will not always hold a connection. I know its not the headset as it worked great with his other motorola phone, but it seems the pearl is unstable with it.

Is there any other more stable Blue Tooth wireless headset out here?

Or should I return this for another pearl?
I don't believe returning the Pearl would solve your issue. After all a smartphone manufacturer such as RIM will only certify their products work with hardware they make, not third parties. When using a third party product whether hardware or software you're taking a chance it may not work properly or even work at all.

Anyway, I tested my previous Motorola HS-850 with the Pearl and it worked. I've since switched to RIM's HS-655 and enjoy it better not just for it's size but also voice clarity. Unlike some bluetooth headsets the HS-655 from RIM allows the user to use the device on either the left or right side. It also comes with three different ear piece sizes and a separate ear hook as an optional attachment for those doing more physical activities. I do like that it includes a clip on the charger/holster that allows attaching to one's belt, etc.

Last edited by Dark Knight; 12-09-2006 at 01:34 PM..
Old 12-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #54
soch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8220
Carrier: tmo
Default WEP170 Bluetooth® Headset

Anyone tried this from Samsung om TMO site:

T-Mobile BlackBerryxxx174; Pearlâ„¢ Featured Accessories: best bets to go with your T-Mobile BlackBerryxxx174; Pearlâ„¢ cell phone
Old 12-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #55
pvravi

Carrier: AT&T

I have a GN 6210. However, this comes with a 'base station' which can connect to your regular phone, and it is supposed to be smart enough to even switch from the regular phone to the cell phone depending on which one you are using. The problem tho' is that for this reason, the GN6210 does not maintain a sustained BT connection to the cell phone. If not in use, the connection drops, and you have to manually send a call from the phone to the BT should you want to use it.

I really liked the 'over the ear' design, but hated having to send the call from the phone to the BT every time. As a result, I went an bought a Jabra BT500. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #56
soch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Radioshack has Plantronics Discovery 640E fro $120 buy one get one free.

Looks like a good deal.

RadioShack.com - Phones & Radio Communications: Accessories: Wireless phone accessories: Headsets & speakerphones: Plantronics Discovery 640 Bluetooth® Headset

The 655 is $127.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:40 PM   #57
CarlosO
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-mobile

about that moto h700 it works fine but as for it working up to 30ft. thats some bull its more like 10. + the ordeal to put it on. it also hurts the back of my ear but that might be due to my big ears.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:42 AM   #58
lovemaster
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tixxx
Jabra JX10 rocks!
i agree!!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #59
soch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just got the Plantronics 655. For $69.99 (through a freind who works for Cingular).

Unfortunately, I can't get it to charge. I tested the leads with a multi-meter for continuity. Something wrong with the headset itself. Will try for an exchange.

Update, did an exchange. So far really goodsound quality. Very light weight.

Has anyone tried the newer model 665? (comes with a car charger)
Amazon.com: Plantronics Discovery 665 Bluetooth Headset: Sports & Outdoors

Last edited by soch; 01-28-2007 at 02:03 AM..
Old 01-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #60
ViroBono

Carrier: O2

I use the Sony Ericsson HBH-DS970, which I originally bought to use with my SE W950i and my Macs. They work well with the Pearl, and are particularly worth considering if, like me, you dislike or have difficulty with the various over-ear BT headsets, which I find uncomfortable. My own opinion is that HBH-DS970 look much better than standard BT headsets, too.
Closed Thread