BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:05 AM   #1
sgifford@suspectclass.com

Model: none
Default End-to-end encryption

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I'm working on a medical project where we need end-to-end encryption of messages sent to doctors.

I realize that all messages are encrypted from the tower to the Blackberry, but we need them encrypted as they travel across the Internet to the tower as well. We would prefer to avoid setting up a BES unless it is absolutely necessary; the people receiving the messages are not our employees, so don't generally host their mail with us, and may even have another BES from their hospital.

Here are the things I've thought of, though I'm open to any suggestions.
  • Blackberry's SMTP servers don't seem to support any kind of encryption, so that won't work. Anybody know if this is possible?
  • I can't tell whether a BES is required for S/MIME or PGP support in the client. Has anybody tried this? With the appropriate add-ins installed, is it possible to send a standard S/MIME or PGP message to a standard Blackberry customer (no BES) and have them read it?
  • Are there any third-party mail applications that support encryption and push email?
Thanks for any thoughts,

----ScottG.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:29 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I believe the only way to do this is using BES, and, as answered in another thread, you would need to have Exchange, Notes or Groupwise as your back end e-mail system.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

If the people receiving the messages aren't using a BB, or going to an Email box, it won't be encrypted at the end user point anyway. Encryption requires a device, or software, to encrypt and the other device, or software, to un-encrypt.
Data from wireless devices are, at minimum, 128 bit SSL, so the transport layer is always secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgifford@suspectclass.com
Hello,

I'm working on a medical project where we need end-to-end encryption of messages sent to doctors.

I realize that all messages are encrypted from the tower to the Blackberry, but we need them encrypted as they travel across the Internet to the tower as well. We would prefer to avoid setting up a BES unless it is absolutely necessary; the people receiving the messages are not our employees, so don't generally host their mail with us, and may even have another BES from their hospital.

Here are the things I've thought of, though I'm open to any suggestions.
  • Blackberry's SMTP servers don't seem to support any kind of encryption, so that won't work. Anybody know if this is possible?
  • I can't tell whether a BES is required for S/MIME or PGP support in the client. Has anybody tried this? With the appropriate add-ins installed, is it possible to send a standard S/MIME or PGP message to a standard Blackberry customer (no BES) and have them read it?
  • Are there any third-party mail applications that support encryption and push email?
Thanks for any thoughts,

----ScottG.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

You need to hire an IT professional who can help you in this regard. Building an architecture in this manner, to ensure all points in between are enrypted will require extensive knowledge of how all these protocols and systems work.

Or have a RIM or your carrier sales consultant talk to you..;
Old 11-15-2006, 05:51 PM   #5

southwestcomm -- we're only interested in sending to Blackberries; for this application, we don't care about the security of messages from the BB. And the transport layer, as far as I can tell, is only secure from the tower to the BB; from our machine to Blackberry.com's SMTP server is not.

headtailgrep -- I am the IT professional. Unfortunately I haven't worked much with Blackberries before. We've talked to our carrier, and their only idea was to use a BES and MS Exchange. For various reasons, we'd prefer to avoid Windows and Exchange if possible, which is why we're looking for other solutions.

Thanks for the responses so far! Please let me know if anybody has any other ideas or thoughts.

----Scott.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
patrickh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-mo

First, you should look at a BES deployment. With a BES, encryption happens between your mail or intranet server all the way to the Blackberry.

Is that enough? Do you trust yourself and your peers running these servers? If not, you need to look at S/MIME and PGP add-on solutions. (Call RIM and they have it).
Old 11-15-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
patrickh
Thumbs Must Hurt

BTW, if you want to avoid Windows and exchange, the BES fully supports Lotus Domino and Novell Groupwise.

Otherwise, you can also develop custom applications that uses HTTPS. Although these kind of applications are generally much slower and waste more battery.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:21 AM   #8

Thanks patrickh,

I didn't realize that Domino and Groupwise run on platforms other than Windows, thanks! It looks like BES still only runs on Windows, though?

What I'd really like is to send an encrypted message to a blackberry exactly like other messages get to their blackberry, and have a PGP or S/MIME client to decrypt the messages when they get there. Very easy to implement, very reliable, very secure. But for some reason this seems to depend on having a BES, which for some reason depends on having a messaging platform, which is a lot of overhead and a lot of cost for something that should be very simple...
Old 11-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
patrickh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes the BES only runs on Windows I think..

Without the BES, I suppose technically you can develop a custom app to decrypt PGP/SMIME messages, I just don't know how good the user experience will be, and that is a lot of cost.. time and effort and testing.

And compare to any medical equipment, the cost of the BES is nothing..
Closed Thread