Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
cbunting
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: LancasterWireless
Default Uh Oh!

Please Login to Remove!

I screwed my 8100. I was loading the 02 OS onto it, and my vista video driver crashed and rebooted in the middle of the transfer... which resulted in a corrupted blackberry. I wiped it clean with the javaloader... now my Os 4.2 will not load because the BB desktop says it is missing required files.

So now I'm trying to manually load the OS files using the javaloader.. I sure hope this brings it back..

Another wierd thing... If I do ANYTHING to my desktop software, including installing an OS update package, it screws up my drivers for the blackberry, and I cannot get it to communicate with my pc anymore... something funky with Vista I guess... but I just grab the extracted OS files, and do a system restore, and then my blackberry talks again to the PC.. wierd!

Anyone else using vista with bb software?
Old 10-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

you cant just delete the upgrade from your computer and then reinstall it? that way you have a clean OS on your computer and you should go good to go. I was under the impression Vista was not supported by desktop manager myself though but I could be wrong
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 10-21-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

RIM is notorious for being very late with updating drivers for OS and Office updates. I didn;t even try to get Desktop Manager working on a Vista beta. I figure it will be several months after Vista ships before RIM has a certifide version of DM.

If you feel like hacking, unstall DM 4.2, remove all "Research in Motion" registry keys and leftover files and try to install again.

I'd say it's a crap shoot at best.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

If you have a friend that has XP or a MAc running boot camp i would wipe the BB with javaloader and then try to reinstall on there computer...
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 10-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

i loaded rogers and o2 updates on my vista r2 this past week. Every version of vista is more and more like XP. They are crackaling under pressue to make drivers and software work better with vista.

I had billionton pcmcia bluetooth card that would not work wth vista rc1... rc2 it popped up just like xp.... xp and vista are so much like the same it is bad.... the upgrade will def... be a win95 to 98.

I got a spare notebook drive for vista... when i am sick of it, i just pop in my xp drive... sure i could do partitions and the bunch, but swapping drives is just so much easier.

btw.... when using vista... data coping is soooooooooooooooo slowwwwwwwwww..... hope they fix that.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

This is why I will not install the Rogers OS and I will wait for a year BEFORE I install Vista.

I have too many programs that run on XP fine, but it's going to take a year before all the third party applications either come out with a Vista update or confirm that their programs work fine under Vista.

Besides, from all I have read, Vista ain't that big an improvement over XP. I don't mind XP, it got rid of the BSD and other crashes, so that was good enough for me.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
cbunting
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: LancasterWireless

Well the whole problem is if I install the upgrade using the software package, it screws up my driver for the blackberry somehow...I have yet to find out how... but it doesnt detect the device after I do anything to change the BB software..

Before that, the desktop manager worked great in vista, I did a fresh install and installed 4.2 desktop manager... but I can't touch that install, or it goes bad... wierd stuff...

Anyway, I actually used the javaloader and did a -usb load *.cod on the entire directory of java files, and had the javaloader dump everything back on to my wiped pearl, and a few minutes of hourglasses and viola... I'm back in business!

btw the O2 software is a bit better than the previous tmo I had on there before.... The PTT is interesting, although it obviosly doesn't work with tmo.

-Chris
Closed Thread