Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
PaulQ
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Question Is your battery cover weak?

Please Login to Remove!

I just noticed this and would like to know if it's normal... When I am holding my phone and typing a message, I can feel the battery cover pressing in and out - "mushy" (lack of a better word).

I do have that little square of foam on the inside of the cover over the battery.

Is normal for it to press in and out like that?

Thanks!

Last edited by PaulQ; 10-07-2006 at 01:10 AM..
Old 10-07-2006, 01:10 AM   #2
Lucks1

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers
Default same problem

I've had my Pearl for a day now, and it was one of the first things that I noticed, when your typing a message, you can feel the back cover press up to the housing, very flimsy... Hopefully someone with come out with a new aftermarket battery cover, something more secure and that has holes for the speaker. (it makes a huge difference in sound when its on, versus when its off) I know some people have been drilling into the cover.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:47 AM   #3
o2mpx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint and ATT

My 2nd replacement unit not only has a loose cover, but the silver button that has a slight catch to hold the cover doesn't even hold it. Have requested another unit to exchange. The 1st unit I had actually had a much firmer cover, so unit ti unit variability was high. Poor assembly quality.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:09 AM   #4
srotman

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulQ
I just noticed this and would like to know if it's normal... When I am holding my phone and typing a message, I can feel the battery cover pressing in and out - "mushy" (lack of a better word).

I do have that little square of foam on the inside of the cover over the battery.

Is normal for it to press in and out like that?

Thanks!
just got my pearl today.

one of the first things i noticed was this same experience. the battery cover is not flush to the body of the phone and you can feel is pressing in and out as you hold it while typing away
Old 10-07-2006, 02:38 AM   #5
tazeat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

:hmm: Mine seems fine...
Old 10-07-2006, 03:02 AM   #6
CableGuy711

mine is squishy as well.

i wonder if a peice of foam would fix it
Old 10-07-2006, 06:48 AM   #7
ejmccartin

Mine has the mushy feel too. I wonder if a firmer foam square would help. They really could have used a fraction of a penny more plastic to strengthen the cover. And the catch on the bottom is not overly secure. This BB screams for some kind of case.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmccartin
Mine has the mushy feel too. I wonder if a firmer foam square would help. They really could have used a fraction of a penny more plastic to strengthen the cover. And the catch on the bottom is not overly secure. This BB screams for some kind of case.
Or another set of catches along the sides. Mine has 4 catches in the body for little plastic feet on the cover to slide into and they were fairly far apart given the stiffness of the plastic in the cover. If they had used 6 catches/feet then it might not flex as much.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #9
ejmccartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar
Or another set of catches along the sides. Mine has 4 catches in the body for little plastic feet on the cover to slide into and they were fairly far apart given the stiffness of the plastic in the cover. If they had used 6 catches/feet then it might not flex as much.
true, true, another couple of catches and they would be able to get away with the amount of plastic used.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #10
jopfer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Battery cover

I noticed that same problem when I first had my Pearl, but then I realized that it was all in how I slid the cover on the case. I press firmly in on that side that we are all complaining about as I slide the cover on for it's last 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Since I have been doing that I NEVER have experienced the problem anymore.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Ruger

Mine has a little give. But I'm a little heavy handed. I either got used to it or I quit pressing so hard, but I don't notice it anymore. Thanks for reminding me...

Last edited by Ruger; 10-07-2006 at 01:16 PM..
Old 10-08-2006, 12:05 AM   #12
Lucks1

Carrier: Rogers
Default cover issues

well i fixed the problem, i had a similar issue with the 7100 i had, folded a piece of paper, cut to the shape of the battery (close the the edges). Place it over the battery and slide the cover on.... Feels great now. Try it out...
Old 10-08-2006, 12:16 AM   #13
ijahman

Default Very Weak

I dont even have to press the release button, it slides off with very little effort
Old 10-08-2006, 01:40 AM   #14
PaulQ

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucks1
well i fixed the problem, i had a similar issue with the 7100 i had, folded a piece of paper, cut to the shape of the battery (close the the edges). Place it over the battery and slide the cover on.... Feels great now. Try it out...

I thought of doing something like this but I wonder if it adversely affects the unit? Does it block airspace around something (like the battery!) that is supposed to be there?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:13 AM   #15
w4rmk

Mine had the same problem, I put some folded up scotch tape inside and now its much better. The back cover is a poor design on RIMs part.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #16
w4rmk

shopblackberry.com now has extra back covers for sale (although they are not in stock yet). They are listed at $14.99 which just goes to show how cheap they are. In any case, you can order a spare to play around with adding some thickness to, or just in hopes in won't be so squishy...
Old 10-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #17
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rmk
shopblackberry.com now has extra back covers for sale (although they are not in stock yet). They are listed at $14.99 which just goes to show how cheap they are. In any case, you can order a spare to play around with adding some thickness to, or just in hopes in won't be so squishy...
I don't think the cover is "cheap" in terms of quality. It's just as thin as other covers I have had on devices. And $15 for that cover is too much. I hope to find spares on eBay for less.

But I do think the locking mechanism is not that sturdy. In fact, I think they dropped the ball on the design of the locking mechanism. For a device of this type they could have beefed up the lugs on the cover.

I think the locking design is why people are having problems.

On looking at it, that little square piece of foam inside the cover appears to be there to apply pressure to the cover and help keep the lock in place. Also it perhaps provides support for the cover so it does not cave in when pressed.

But fully locked in place and under normal use, my cover does not feel unusual. It's only when I flip it over and press on the cover do I notice the give it has, which is slight.

Of course when cases come out, this will not be an issue.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-05-2006 at 08:07 PM..
Old 10-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #18
Tenaciousc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMO

Mine too... i wonder if i could put some small foam pads in the cover (similar to those on the bottom of like a home router) to make it feel tighter.

My silver button broke also, but it holds the cover on. And thats why yuo pay 5.99/month for insurance, so when this phone falls apart you get a new one.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #19
dabull

guys, dont add foam, take it away. if you rub off that foam pad on the inside of the cover, it will sit fluch with the phone and actually lock somehwhat
Old 11-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #20
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabull
guys, dont add foam, take it away. if you rub off that foam pad on the inside of the cover, it will sit fluch with the phone and actually lock somehwhat
You are correct. I got two spare covers and was able to compare those with the cover on which I removed the foam. The one without the foam sits more flush and there was no compromise of the fit.

Sidenote: I think I ended up paying $15 shipped for each. Not sure though. That price was fair, especially since I have seen them on sites for $30.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-05-2006 at 08:14 PM..
Closed Thread