Old 08-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
ppapared
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default OTA Options for Address Book

Please Login to Remove!

Quick Question:

I have a user I just did Enterprise Activation and now would like his Address Book to be synced wirelessly. When checking in the Address Book Options, the Wireless Sync Option is not there. If I delete the Desktop Sync Service Book and repush the service books out would that add the option? It is also set to True on the BES but the Server information has not populated itself yet. I've never had to enter this information before.

Am I on the right track or do I need to do something else? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppapared
If I delete the Desktop Sync Service Book and repush the service books out would that add the option?
If the service book is corrupted this can resolve the issue.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
jinksPadlock

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am having similar issues on BES 4.1 and Lotus Notes 6.5

Email and Calendar both sync wirelessly, no problems.

Address book syncs up fine using Intellisync, but no go for OTA.

Under the PIM Sync policy group the Address book is set to true.

Under the User's Properties the PIM Sync for Address book is set to true and the location and relative path get populated by the server. I've been hitting the Actions--> Synchronize Address Book all day in the Notes client and no change yet. G double R.

I tried deleting and resending the Desktop [SYNC] service book, no love.

Any suggestions? Am I missing a step? Thanks in advance...
Old 08-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksPadlock
I am having similar issues on BES 4.1 and Lotus Notes 6.5
Email and Calendar both sync wirelessly, no problems.
Address book syncs up fine using Intellisync, but no go for OTA.
Why do you have Desktop Manager installed if your using BES v4.1 with wireless synching enabled? You can't do both, one or the other.

Open the BlackBerry address book. Press the scroll wheel and select Options. Do you have the Wireless Sync option available? If no, then something is wrong on the BES server. If yes, make sure its set to Yes. Configuring the address book to sync via Desktop Manager will set this to No.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
jinksPadlock

Thanks for the reply. We have the Desktop manager b/c it was used on the old server. If wireless sync works it'll probably go by the wayside, esp. if they don't play well together.

I have the option for wireless sync set to Yes on the device, but the contacts are still not getting synced.

I've tried this on a fresh device, one that hasn't used Desktop Manager, with the same results.

Is there anything else I'm missing? How long does this normally take? Email and calendar are instantaneous. But this relies on the client to trigger using the Actions--> Synchronize Address Book, correct?

My untrained eye can't find anything usefull in the logs. Do you have a log entry for a successful address book sync? Maybe I could use that to trace this down.

Thanks again.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Have you tried restarting the synchronization service?
When you resent the service books, did the sync logs indicate that the service books were received by the device/user?
Check the relative path and location and ensure it's correct.
Are all users on the R6 mail template (and not simply using the R6 client)?
Were these devices "security wiped" before activation on the BES?
If all else fails.....go to the Enterprise Activation section and open it. Then, hold the ALT key down and type "CNFG". Scroll down to the "Wireless Sync" option and set it to "No". Save this option and ESC. Return to this same section and reset wireless sync to "Yes" and save. This forces an Enterprise Activation( there'll be a lot activity on the screen) and pulls down all the service books again. It should be good to go after that.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
jinksPadlock

Thanks for the advice, I'm making progress.
Quote:
Have you tried restarting the synchronization service?
When you resent the service books, did the sync logs indicate that the service books were received by the device/user?
Check the relative path and location and ensure it's correct.
Are all users on the R6 mail template (and not simply using the R6 client)?
Were these devices "security wiped" before activation on the BES?
All this was done or the answer was yes. Although one interesting thing was that on one device the relative path was incorrect initially (It didn't populate automatically and being the genius I am I put in the wrong path.) After the information was fixed it didn't automatically correct itself. I assume this is where restarting the synchronization server would have helped?

Quote:
If all else fails.....go to the Enterprise Activation section and open it. Then, hold the ALT key down and type "CNFG". Scroll down to the "Wireless Sync" option and set it to "No". Save this option and ESC. Return to this same section and reset wireless sync to "Yes" and save.
Using the CNFG trick helped fix one device. THANKS! The other received an error during enterprise activation. But after I sent a new activation it could sync the address book too.

I have a few remaining questions...

First, what causes the relative path to automatically populate? Would restarting the sync server cause this to populate for new users?

Second, whenever I try to save an editted contact that was synced wirelessly on the device I get the message "Address updated externally: Changes will be lost and the viewer closed." *Poof* no changes. Is this normal? When I use desktop manager everything is gravy. I can edit and contacts sync with no problems.
Closed Thread