BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
ChrisBenson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Default Spell Check Programs

Please Login to Remove!

I have tried BB Corrector and tried Espell but wasn't thrilled w/ how slow it was. I checked out the trial program of metamessage but don't wanna subscribe annually for it as I wouldn't use the fax option or other features. I am not big on BBCorrector because it runs off a server as dumb as that may sound. I am looking for a spell check that won't use data. Due to the nature of some emails sent within our company I would rather have a spell check program run on my BlackBerry without having to use data and have my email scanned by something for spelling errors. Maybe I am totally noobed out on this and please don't flame. I am all thumbs with spelling on my BlackBerry and would like to fix that. If anyone can recommend a good program I'd appreciate it.

:::CB:::
Old 06-24-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

Have you tried BBSpell? http://www.somedevelopers.com/
Old 06-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
bbdag

Model: 7250

bbspell is also a server that you "send" your email to for a pre-screen. I personally don't use it for that reason, you corporate email can possibly be read/saved once it leaves your network.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Surprised to hear you find BB Corrector slow. I've been using it for a few weeks now and my experience so far has been pretty impressive, even on long emails.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Due to data sizes none of the most commonly used spelling corrector's run on the BB. They all use servers, so until we get much larger memory that's what is used. See my tips page. I like bbSpell the best if you can afford it. They will offer group licences.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
balibe
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin
Surprised to hear you find BB Corrector slow. I've been using it for a few weeks now and my experience so far has been pretty impressive, even on long emails.
Agree, mine runs well on my 7100i with Nextel.

balibe@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
"The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"
Old 06-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
cooperpwc

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

eSpell is the one program that I am aware of that is device-based. It isn't Outlook but I find that it's reasonably fast.
When you used eSpell were you using the device dictionary? It can also correct by data communication and that would probably be slower. I use the onboard dictionary and I like it very much.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc
eSpell is the one program that I am aware of that is device-based. It isn't Outlook but I find that it's reasonably fast.
When you used eSpell were you using the device dictionary? It can also correct by data communication and that would probably be slower. I use the onboard dictionary and I like it very much.
Problem with eSpell is that it install eFile and other Dynoplex related stuff which some users have had issues with, or have found hard to uninstall, and thanks for the correction.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
cooperpwc

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Truth is, I had real difficulty installing eSpell at first, (the infamous too many apps error that lgreenberg has had such fun with.) Support was pretty good and they sent me an OTA link. It also installs eFile which I hide and ignore. I've now got loading it after an OS reinstall down to an art but you're right that it is excessively complex. Still a good program though.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:45 PM   #10
ChrisBenson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

:::CB:::
Old 06-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
rickthornton

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default I also agree - BBCorrector is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by balibe
Agree, mine runs well on my 7100i with Nextel.
I use BBCorrector on an 8700C and I consider it very fast even on fairly lengthy emails. I guess speed is relative, but for my use it is a fantastic application.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:35 PM   #12
sergeyd

Carrier: tmobile

BTW - for Nextel and Sprint users there is always a free Spell Check. It installs OTA, it is is based on eSpell and is device based, but does not include eFile (fo those who do not like it ). And it is free.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 06-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthornton
I use BBCorrector on an 8700C and I consider it very fast even on fairly lengthy emails. I guess speed is relative, but for my use it is a fantastic application.

Works great for me. Speed is fast (maybe of EDGE?). No complaints here.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #14
jjaca

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Hi guys!

I need some help with BBCorrector. When I try to use the spelling on memopad or email I got an "Error: Could not find a service book entry for IPPP" with Disable MDS Proxy box unchecked. With the box checked a get Error: could not open tunnel - max timeout. I'm using a 7290 - 4.1v with Cingular. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #15
greenhut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: tmo

We offer bbSpell as both a yearly service and as an Enterprise license. With the Enterprise version, you install the bbSpell server on your own network (typically on your BES). So, with Enterprise you need not be concerned with the security of your messages when being spell checked as it is end to end encrypted, and only sent to your own server.

bbSpell Personal does use our hosted spelling server, but here you can also enable SSL. The spelling server is located in a highly secured datacenter, and the software is not even capable of logging any message content for diagnostic purposes. We are willing to be auditted at any time.

Regards,
jeff
Old 07-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #16
rickthornton

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Need WAP Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaca
Hi guys!

I need some help with BBCorrector. When I try to use the spelling on memopad or email I got an "Error: Could not find a service book entry for IPPP" with Disable MDS Proxy box unchecked. With the box checked a get Error: could not open tunnel - max timeout. I'm using a 7290 - 4.1v with Cingular. Thanks!

These are the errors you get if you your WAP access is not set up properly with Cingular. Call BB Technical support and ask them to provision your WAP Access 800-304-3044. Once that is done, make sure your setup is correct:

Settings, Option, Advanced Options, TCP:

APN: wap.cingular
User Name for APN: [email address] OR [email address]
Password for APN: CINGULAR1

Within BB Corrector, leave Server URL, username and Passord blank, enter en in language block (for english) and check all three boxes. May have to pull the battery to reboot.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:30 PM   #17
jjaca

Model: 8700

Thanks a lot guys! I will let you know how it went.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #18
_driver
No longer Registered.

Model: 7520

eSpell from Dynoplex!
Old 07-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #19
wuberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

This is probably a small point, but it was annoying ...

I (happily) paid for bbSpell and it worked great. Then one day I went to spell check an e-mail and got an error message saying my subscription had expired and I needed to go to their Web site and renew. I would have been happy to pay again, but -- as far as I know -- I was left high and dry with no prior notice about the expiration. Maybe they sent me many notices, but I sure don't remember any.

That's when I installed BBCorrector -- Thanks, Tateau!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #20
wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Arrow BBCorrector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuberry
This is probably a small point, but it was annoying ...

I (happily) paid for bbSpell and it worked great. Then one day I went to spell check an e-mail and got an error message saying my subscription had expired and I needed to go to their Web site and renew. I would have been happy to pay again, but -- as far as I know -- I was left high and dry with no prior notice about the expiration. Maybe they sent me many notices, but I sure don't remember any.

That's when I installed BBCorrector -- Thanks, Tateau!
I know this should be clear, but I have searched "BBCorrector" and there seems to be a long, long history to its development....so much so, I am not quite sure where the best place is to download the latest version for my BB 8700g with T-mobile. Any help will be appreciated!
Closed Thread