Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
GoblueNextel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Seidio Skin/Holster Combo for 7100i - Product Review

Please Login to Remove!

Again I have had the great pleasure of reviewing another well designed product from Seidio.

I received the products via USPS in a padded envelope. I am already using the SKIN (See review here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=29875 ) and I am quite happy with the overall design. I did suggest they modify the wheel opening as it felt too close for my comfort and it does not appear that this was done. In all fairness it may just be me that suggested it and therefore did NOT warrant a product change.

I have also been using the Seidio Holster which IMHO is the BEST CASE OUT for the 7100i. See many reviews here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=17864

I will try and post some pictures tomorrow as I am trying to watch the RED WINGS win

In any case this is a combo of 2 great products. If you do not have either of these products yet I HIGHLY recommend them.

It appears the magnet is strong enough to put the BB to sleep. Like I said I have been using the SKIN now for a few weeks and did not like the fact that the original holster would not hold the phone with the skin on. Now I have the perfect solution. I can throw in my pocket when I am not wearing a belt and when I am I can now mount in the revised holster. Please note YOU CAN NOT USE THE HOLSTER FOR THE SKIN WITHOUT THE SKIN. This HOLSTER is bigger to accommodate the larger size (phone + skin). So do not think you holster the phone without the skin.

GOBLUE AND GO WINGS!

Also I believe David Chang of Seidio will be posting a discount code. I am not aware of the pricing as he indicated he will post shortly after I post this.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
echelon0911

Model: Pearl
Carrier: VZW

I received my pair in the mail yesterday. I am a brand new Blackberry customer (been a Nextel customer for years) and purchased this combo based on testimonials from this site.

The skin is a must for me as the large back surface area will get scratched up while exposed in the holster. This skin should provide adequate protection.

Based on my initial 2 hours of usage, I have two recommendations, one functional and one asthetic. First, I agree with your assessment that the wheel opening should be larger. Wheel navigation is tougher, almost to the point of annoyance due to the accluded opening.

Second, I would like to see the skin in black or charcoal gray rather than the clear.

Great product; glad I purchased them!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Special Discount Offered from Seidio on the product

Seidio Blackberry 7100i premium skin/holster combo - Blackberryforums Member Discount

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Blackberryforums Members Only and For May 2 to 5PM May 5, 2006 only.

Starting today and ending at 5:00 PM May 5, 2006, if you buy a 7100i premium Skin/holster combo from our web store you will be able to save 10% for each combo when using discount code: 7100ICOMBO

Go to our site and purchase the number of combo that you desire. Then when you xxx8220;checkoutxxx8221; and get to the Payment page, you will see a box asking for Discount Code, enter the code there.

This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Past purchases do not apply.

If we run out of the stock, we will still honor your purchase when the stock arrives. Only holsters purchased during this time frame are eligible.

All prices are in U.S. funds.

To order the 7100i skin/holster, click the following link:

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=309
Old 05-02-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
seiler
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: at&t

i agree balck or charcoal skin color would be cool
Old 05-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
lifestar53
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon0911

Second, I would like to see the skin in black or charcoal gray rather than the clear.

Great product; glad I purchased them!
I know now I am not crazy.

Don't be a dummy, buckle your seatbelt.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
jcl7510
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Sure wish I could try mine out. Original order for holster placed 4/12/06. Didn't put unit to sleep. Waited over a week for a replacement which was never shipped. Then I talked them into upgrading me to the skin/holster combo that was to ship once I provided tracking number for my returned defective case. Did that and the replacement still didn't ship, it "fell through the cracks." Still waiting and a little frustrated.

Last edited by jcl7510; 05-02-2006 at 08:56 PM..
Old 05-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #7
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl7510
Sure wish I could try mine out. Original order for holster placed 4/12/06. Didn't put unit to sleep. Waited over a week for a replacement which was never shipped. Then I talked them into upgrading me to the skin/holster combo that was to ship once I provided tracking number for my returned defective case. Did that and the replacement still didn't ship, it "fell through the cracks." Still waiting and a little frustrated.
Jon,

what is your order #

David Chang
Seidio
[email address]
Old 05-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
lifestar53
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talking

Hey David,

I have the 7100i w/ the extended battery and I am about to purchase the combo, I am wondering about the skin fitting over the larger battery cover. And also will there be a black skin ? I do not want to purchase the skin twice.

Don't be a dummy, buckle your seatbelt.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
webmstrk9
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

I am presuming there will be a skin for the 7130e, if so, would there be a rough timeframe of its availability?

Thx,
Ken
Old 05-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
jcl7510
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio
Jon,

what is your order #

David Chang
Seidio
[email address]
Order number 43710. I have spoken to David Silver several times but I'm still not thrilled with the service.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #11
BilltheCat
Thumbs Must Hurt

It looks like some buttons are covered up. I need the Direct Connect button on the side and it is covered. I need the escape button on the other side below the wheel and it is covered also. The Phone buttons are covered.

What's up with that?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:57 PM   #12
BilltheCat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Fix the things I mentioned above and make it black and with a large enough area for the wheel and I and many others will beat a path to your doors!

Ignore us and flounder. Someone else will do the job and make the money!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:14 AM   #13
echelon0911

Model: Pearl

BillTheCat, I might be able to address some of your concerns from a first-hand perspective (albeit limited to 5 days of use).

On the left side of the 7100i, the speaker port is open, the miniUSB is open and the DC PTT is covered. On the right side, the wheel is open and the escape key is covered.

Given the extremely flexible nature of the skin, I haven't run into any convenience issues with using either the PTT or the escape key. My only real issue concerns operating the wheel. The close cutout of the skin around the wheel makes getting a grip on the wheel a bit challenging. Not that it's a scientific test, but I've found myself completely unable to play that free paddle game that comes with the 7100i.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:41 AM   #14
GoblueNextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon0911
BillTheCat, I might be able to address some of your concerns from a first-hand perspective (albeit limited to 5 days of use).

On the left side of the 7100i, the speaker port is open, the miniUSB is open and the DC PTT is covered. On the right side, the wheel is open and the escape key is covered.

Given the extremely flexible nature of the skin, I haven't run into any convenience issues with using either the PTT or the escape key. My only real issue concerns operating the wheel. The close cutout of the skin around the wheel makes getting a grip on the wheel a bit challenging. Not that it's a scientific test, but I've found myself completely unable to play that free paddle game that comes with the 7100i.
Agreed. BillTheCat read my orginal SKIN REVIEW in my original post above. Echelon0911 is right on.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:48 AM   #15
BilltheCat
Thumbs Must Hurt

I did read it and disagree with you. Why would you say the 3 phone keys are not needed? Do you know more than the designers? Those 3 keys are for USING THE PHONE !

You dont use the phone? I do, and use those keys!

P.S. I have a work around. Get the company to use it's CAD device cutter to cut the holes for the PTT and open an area for the phone keys and the escape button. How tuff could this be?

Last edited by BilltheCat; 05-04-2006 at 01:53 AM..
Old 05-04-2006, 01:55 AM   #16
GoblueNextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilltheCat
I did read it and disagree with you. Why would you say the 3 phone keys are not needed? Do you know more than the designers? Those 3 keys are for USING THE PHONE !

You dont use the phone? I do, and use those keys!
I happen to have discussed this WITH THE DESGINER thank you very much BEFORE THEY EVEN RELEASED IT TO THE PUBLIC!

THEY ARE NOT NEEDED AND WOULD ADD TO THE COST OF MANUFACTURING FOR NO REASON AT ALL. IT WAS DESIGNED THAT WAY. I AM SURE THE DESIGNER DAVID CHANG WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO CHIME IN.

GOBLUE!
Old 05-04-2006, 02:01 AM   #17
BilltheCat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblueNextel
I happen to have discussed this WITH THE DESGINER thank you very much BEFORE THEY EVEN RELEASED IT TO THE PUBLIC!

THEY ARE NOT NEEDED AND WOULD ADD TO THE COST OF MANUFACTURING FOR NO REASON AT ALL. IT WAS DESIGNED THAT WAY. I AM SURE THE DESIGNER DAVID CHANG WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO CHIME IN.

GOBLUE!

Not to try to offend you, but why are the buttons above the keys on the 7100i then? If just for show they could and should have just made a decal.

The manufacturer made the case based on you telling him no one uses the buttons? Presumptuous of you wasnt it?

And I guess since you were in on the design you are saying you have a stake in selling these things? I wish you had told us this thread was spam to begin with.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:04 AM   #18
GoblueNextel

Quote:
Not to try to offend you, but why are the buttons above the keys on the 7100i then? If just for show they could and should have just made a decal.

The manufacturer made the case based on you telling him no one uses the buttons? Presumptuous of you wasnt it?

And I guess since you were in on the design you are saying you have a stake in selling these things? I wish you had told us this thread was spam to begin with.
They can be pressed THRU SKIN. If that strip above the number key was not there WTF would give the SKIN DURABLILTY. Think about it.

Last edited by GoblueNextel; 05-04-2006 at 02:09 AM..
Old 05-04-2006, 02:09 AM   #19
BilltheCat
Thumbs Must Hurt

It's obvious I am upsetting you so i will just say I apologize for winding you up and I will leave this thread alone. It isnt worth it to fight over something like this.

I wish this product was up to my standards as I would buy it.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:43 AM   #20
GoblueNextel

Quote:
It's obvious I am upsetting you so i will just say I apologize for winding you up and I will leave this thread alone. It isnt worth it to fight over something like this.

I wish this product was up to my standards as I would buy it.
I am not mad. But REMOVING the strip of SKIN for the three keys would NOT be a good design as it would not hold the skin properly to the phone (there would be nothing holding the sides together around the entire Front Face of the phone.

Seriously I am not mad, however do you not understand this. I am not trying to be above you as I asked the same question when I first recieved the SKIN and was giving feedback to Siedio. After they explained a few things it made sense.